website statistics

Equestrian at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

18 minutes ago, dcro said:

World rankings are grouped by riders so they are pretty useless tbh (for the championships selection). Having multiple horses at higher levels helps your rank tremendeously.

Not to forget that Ros Canter dropped in rankings after taking a baby leave in 2019 (which is literally the only thing someone could have used against her, since her competition record aboard Allstar B has been spotless since winning the double world title...). Here we enter a pretty bleak territory.

This selection was always going to stir controversies, since there were too many options to choose from, so yeah... But still I can't fathom the fact that a new and relatively inexperienced combination (even if hyped) of Piggy March & Brookfield Inocent got ahead of Canter and indeed King.

The combination may be relatively inexperienced but March has as much experience as Cantor and King jr. combined. This is, perhaps a case of so much strength in depth being a curse. They could probably put out 3-4 teams capable of medalling in Tokyo.

35 minutes ago, Nickyc707 said:

The combination may be relatively inexperienced but March has as much experience as Cantor and King jr. combined. This is, perhaps a case of so much strength in depth being a curse. They could probably put out 3-4 teams capable of medalling in Tokyo.

March

2017 Europeans - 27th

2018 Worlds - 10th

2019 Europeans - 15th

Canter

2017 Europeans - 5th

2018 World - 1st

And much like Brookfield Incocent now, Quarrycrest Echo too was a media darling in his time... :dunno:

#banbestmen

39 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

Which means French eventing team will most likely be Thibault Valette, Nicolas Touzain, Christopher Six and Mathieu Lemoine Thomas carlile. Not sure who they will pick as a reserve. 

2 minutes ago, lea26 said:

Which means French eventing team will most likely be Thibault Valette, Nicolas Touzain, Christopher Six and Mathieu Lemoine. Not sure who they will pick as a reserve. 

only 3 per event

i would be disappointed if thomas carlile is not there

Oops wrote too fast. Indeed Carlile has been the most reliable for months. And yes, I meant the reserve among those four. I would say Valette as Qing is starting to be a bit old and is less reliable in the jumping phase, which becomes more important without a drop score. 

2 minutes ago, lea26 said:

Oops wrote too fast. Indeed Carlile has been the most reliable for months. And yes, I meant the reserve among those four. I would say Valette as Qing is starting to be a bit old and is less reliable in the jumping phase, which becomes more important without a drop score. 

and dressaGE ,

Plenty team announcements today...

:HKG Hong Kong - Individual eventing - At 20 years young, Tayberry will be the oldest horse in Tokyo.

Thomas-Heffernan-Ho-640x261.jpg

:RUS Russia - Team dressage

Tatyana Kosterina (Diavolessa)

Aleksandra Maksakova (Bojengels)

Inessa Merkulova (Mister X)

Reserve: Maria Shuvalova (Ilyumzhinov Famous Cross)

:RUS Russia - Individual eventing

Aleksandr Markov (Leader)

Andrey Mitin (Gurza or Kartel)

Let's hope Andrey chooses Gurza. I recommend searching for a video of their XC ride from Rio (there is a replay on the Olympic Channel). Gurza proudly represents those notoriously brave Russian horses. :d

:GBR Great Britain - Team dressage

Charlotte Dujardin (Gio)

Charlotte Fry (Everdale)

Carl Hester (En Vogue)

Reserve: Gareth Hughes (Sintano van hof Olympia)

:GBR Great Britain - Team eventing

Laura Collett (London 52)

Tom McEwen (Toledo de Kerser)

Oliver Townend (Ballaghmor Class)

Reserve: Piggy March (Brookfield Inocent)

Hey, I have autographs of two (Collett - below, and McEwen - above) of these British eventers! :d Given the competitive selection, I guess the odds of that were pretty small back when I won this in 2019. :p

oHBpOEsDeQXf4bXlcoasD__Lg_Eza-WOG9G6LYzS

#banbestmen

23 minutes ago, lea26 said:

Surprised to see that Valette and Qing du Briot have not competed internationally since August 2020. :yikes:

I guess he holds a lot of credit with the French selectors, though, so their selection still wouldn't be surprising.

#banbestmen