website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Team Sizes

India is sending its biggest squad ever 120 Vs Rio 117 , also participating in the maximum number of sports  ever 18  ..........

The following is the list of competitors in the Games. Note that reserves in field hockey are not counted:

Sport Men Women Total
Archery 3 1 4
Athletics 17 9 26
Badminton 3 1 4
Boxing 5 4 9
Equestrian 1 0 1
Fencing 0 1 1
Field hockey 16 16 32
Golf 2 1 3
Gymnastics 0 1 1
Judo 0 1 1
Rowing 2 0 2
Sailing 3 1 4
Shooting 8 7 15
Swimming 2 1 3
Table tennis 2 2 4
Tennis 0 2 2
Weightlifting 0 1 1
Wrestling 3 4 7
Total 67 53 120

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

11 minutes ago, Laraja said:

:BRA is going to Tokyo with more or less 310 athletes.

This is the biggest delegation of our country in any olympic games (regardless the games as a host nation).

Which is a good sign that Rio was good for Brazilian sports.

2 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Beijing 2008 was the most for Greece (156) not including the two times we hosted, and since then we went down every time (103 in London, 93 in Rio, 83 in Tokyo) so hopefully for Brazil's sake they wont suffer the same fate as us.

9 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Beijing 2008 was the most for Greece (156) not including the two times we hosted, and since then we went down every time (103 in London, 93 in Rio, 83 in Tokyo) so hopefully for Brazil's sake they wont suffer the same fate as us.

Hosting the Olympics should bring term effects not for just a cycle or two. I guess its harder in Summer Olympics to keep the momentum

13 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Yeah, it is still a reflection of the amount of investment in sports for Rio... but, as @Makedonas said, the biggest concern is for Paris 2024.

Our delegation is big, but the real chances of medals are not too much different than from Rio. Actually I believe that we have the same expectation of medals mainly because of the inclusion of Surfing and Skateboarding...

13 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Can I say that :GRE will have 73 athletes in Paris? :d

8 minutes ago, Laraja said:

Yeah, it is still a reflection of the amount of investment in sports for Rio... but, as @Makedonas said, the biggest concern is for Paris 2024.

Our delegation is big, but the real chances of medals are not too much different than from Rio. Actually I believe that we have the same expectation of medals mainly because of the inclusion of Surfing and Skateboarding...

Can I say that :GRE will have 73 athletes in Paris? :d

I think for us the problem was that we invested a lot for athletes to be in Athens and still had some of those leftover for Beijing, but by the time London came around so many of them had retired. Plus we had an economic crisis which began between Beijing and London so that obviously didn't help either. However it seemed like for some sports there was no vision after Athens. It was like we focused on Athens so much that we neglected the future after Athens. I'm not sure how much Brazil focused on the future after Rio. China and the UK seemed to do a much better job than Greece in that regard.

We also very well could've had 128 instead of 103 in London. We had two shock non-qualifications (men's basketball where we were ranked 4th in the world and women's water polo where we won the 2011 World Championships), so those two sports obviously played a role in our massive drop in team size from Beijing to London (we qualified both of those teams in Beijing).

And please don't say that we will have 73 athletes in Paris, I refuse to believe it :lol:

To be honest though I think in Paris we will go back to 100+. We have a very young team going to Tokyo so I expect many to return, plus we have a lot of good young athletes/teenagers in sports like athletics, swimming, rowing and a few others which gave us hope. Plus having France host might make it easier for us in some team sports, especially our men's and women's basketball team as there will be one more European spot.