website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Team Sizes

2 hours ago, Benolympique said:

:GBR 379 Quotas ? is that correct?

No, you've got an error in the fencing quota. It should be 1 not 12 bringing the total number of athletes down to 368.

The BOC has to confirm the 6 judokas, 4 golfers and 3 showjumpers in the next few days.

In addition, the total of 368 will increase as there are more track and field athletes to be named and possibly an additional weightlifter once it becomes clear which quotas Colombia are dropping. The final total will be between 370-80 and I'll confirm the final figures as soon as they are available.

I do a lot of work on this site and it is up to date.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics

Hello Nicky i haesomequestions, is it true that an english or irish atlet can moe freely to chage nationaluty if the want, i hae heard that, is it alsp true that the olympic association o GB is called Great Britain olympic committe and not like the nation UK.

1 hour ago, Khadidja Aisha said:

Hello Nicky i haesomequestions, is it true that an english or irish atlet can moe freely to chage nationaluty if the want, i hae heard that, is it alsp true that the olympic association o GB is called Great Britain olympic committe and not like the nation UK.

The full name of our country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The olympic committee is called the British Olympic Committee and is the NOC for Great Britain and Northern Ireland so they reflect the same areas.

People in Northern Ireland can choose whether they wish to compete for GB or Ireland and so far seven Northern Ireland athletes have been selected for Team GB in Rio. Others will no doubt  have been selected for the Irish team. Their prospective gymnastic medallist whose name escapes me at the moment is from the north.

However, this crossover doesn't just cover Northen Ireland but the whole of the UK and the island of Ireland given the close familial links between many citizens of the two countries. I read a few years ago that half the citizens of Ireland had family members living in the UK for instance. Two members of the current British Olympic team previously represented Ireland, while I know some Irish competitors who have previously represented GB or one of its constituent parts, i.e. England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

It can be a cause of conflict as some sporting bodies represent the whole of the island of Ireland as the Irish Olympic Committee claims to do, while some like football reflect the current border on the island. As an example if hockey players from Northern Ireland want to play for GB at the Olympics they have to play for England, Scotland or Wales rather than Ireland. At the last Olympic games there were four Northern Irish players in the men's GB hockey squad placed in this position.

The situation is probably unique simply because of our close  history and the intermingling of the peoples of both countries over a long period of time. There really is more that unites us than divides us despite what some may think.

3 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

The full name of our country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The olympic committee is called the British Olympic Committee and is the NOC for Great Britain and Northern Ireland so they reflect the same areas.

People in Northern Ireland can choose whether they wish to compete for GB or Ireland and so far seven Northern Ireland athletes have been selected for Team GB in Rio. Others will no doubt  have been selected for the Irish team. Their prospective gymnastic medallist whose name escapes me at the moment is from the north.

However, this crossover doesn't just cover Northen Ireland but the whole of the UK and the island of Ireland given the close familial links between many citizens of the two countries. I read a few years ago that half the citizens of Ireland had family members living in the UK for instance. Two members of the current British Olympic team previously represented Ireland, while I know some Irish competitors who have previously represented GB or one of its constituent parts, i.e. England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

It can be a cause of conflict as some sporting bodies represent the whole of the island of Ireland as the Irish Olympic Committee claims to do, while some like football reflect the current border on the island. As an example if hockey players from Northern Ireland want to play for GB at the Olympics they have to play for England, Scotland or Wales rather than Ireland. At the last Olympic games there were four Northern Irish players in the men's GB hockey squad placed in this position.

The situation is probably unique simply because of our close  history and the intermingling of the peoples of both countries over a long period of time. There really is more that unites us than divides us despite what some may think.

There are always a  number of athletes who represent Ireland at the Olympics and then Northern Ireland at the Commonwealth Games . I saw somewhere that it is not unknown -but not much publicised -for some to actually be living  on the Republic's side of the border . Only temporarily of course .

An  interesting issue is now Ireland is competing in Olympic team sports -hockey and rugby 7s . Which -unlike association football - have always been All Ireland  teams 

There have  always been Northerners who wouldn't want to join in the singing of the  Republic's national anthem . Guess they just have to glare and look grim faced 

Well, our current official number is quite strange, which was declared by our NOC yesterday: 175. 

They are counting all of our substitutes, so it's actually 168+7. For some reason they are still not counting our male badminton quota, I am not sure what's going on with that one. We are also waiting for our OST swimmers. 

As far as substitutes are concerned, we usually count the team fencing substitutes at every SOG as they will very likely to take part in their event as full members (which is why I feel like it's cheating from IOC and FIE that they are counting 3 athletes per teams). So that's +3 quotas this time as we have 3 fencing teams. We are also counting +2 for the two water polo teams,+1 for our handball team and +1 for our table tennis team. I think most of these substitutes will participate at the Olympics in some way and that's why we are counting them. 

Anyway, the supposedly official list is here as always, they will update it if someone else qualifies (hopefully they will add that second badminton quota soon): http://olimpia.hu/magyar-csapat-14

Personally I would say that without the substitutes we have 169 athlete quotas. 

23 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Well, our current official number is quite strange, which was declared by our NOC yesterday: 175. 

They are counting all of our substitutes, so it's actually 168+7. For some reason they are still not counting our male badminton quota, I am not sure what's going on with that one. We are also waiting for our OST swimmers. 

As far as substitutes are concerned, we usually count the team fencing substitutes at every SOG as they will very likely to take part in their event as full members (which is why I feel like it's cheating from IOC and FIE that they are counting 3 athletes per teams). So that's +3 quotas this time as we have 3 fencing teams. We are also counting +2 for the two water polo teams,+1 for our handball team and +1 for our table tennis team. I think most of these substitutes will participate at the Olympics in some way and that's why we are counting them. 

Anyway, the supposedly official list is here as always, they will update it if someone else qualifies (hopefully they will add that second badminton quota soon): http://olimpia.hu/magyar-csapat-14

OMG , Hungary have more athletes than Ukraine( Ridicuolus Olympic cycle for us ......

20 minutes ago, Vektor said:

The badminton men's singles (Gergely Krausz) is like 95% not going. He depends on a slot which is only allocated if there are men players playing in more than one event. In the original list he was qualified but after BWF confirmed the other quotas, one Dutch men's doubles refused quota (he's retired) and GB/England selected Lane/Vendy instead of 2016 bronze medalists Ellis/Langridge (Ellis also plays in mixed doubles).

This means there will be 2 less men's singles player and unfortunately it means Gergely Krausz and Emre Lale (TUR) is not going to Tokyo 2020 unless there are other men's singles withdrawing.

1 minute ago, Griff88 said:

The badminton men's singles (Gergely Krausz) is like 95% not going. He depends on a slot which is only allocated if there are men players playing in more than one event. In the original list he was qualified but after BWF confirmed the other quotas, one Dutch men's doubles refused quota (he's retired) and GB/England selected Lane/Vendy instead of 2016 bronze medalists Ellis/Langridge (Ellis also plays in mixed doubles).

This means there will be 2 less men's singles player and unfortunately it means Gergely Krausz and Emre Lale (TUR) is not going to Tokyo 2020 unless there are other men's singles withdrawing.

Hm, that's a shame, thanks for confirming it. 

14 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

What about Oceania quota? Is :NZL accepting it or :HUN is missing out even after its reallocation?