website statistics

Women's Water Polo Tournament at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

Some interesting facts from today.

USA set three new records for the olympics in their 25-4 win against Japan. Most goals scored in a match with 25, most goals scored in one half with 14 and biggest goal difference with 21.

All these records were broken again afterwards by Spain. 29 goals scored, 15 in a half, and 25 goal difference.

Maggie Steffens scored five goals against Japan. Now she has 43 goals in the olympics and needs another five to become the top goalscorer in olympic history.

35 goals in China-ROC set a record for the most goals in a single match in the olympics, without penalty shoot out.

6 hours ago, maestro said:

35 goals in China-ROC set a record for the most goals in a single match in the olympics, without penalty shoot out.

That one was fun :d 

Normally that amount of goals would mean a total blowout, I can't remember two teams both getting close to 20 :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

17 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I wonder what :AUS  :NED  :ESP  think about this situation, I am pretty sure that they thought the 1st place in their group means that they will avoid the :USA until the final. 

It probably means, who can outfox the rest into not getting first place. :d

16 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I wonder what :AUS  :NED  :ESP  think about this situation, I am pretty sure that they thought the 1st place in their group means that they will avoid the :USA until the final. 

But our first place in the group is not sure until we dont beat China in the last match (not sure thing even now IMO). And unfortunately, as the 2017 WCh showed, we can lose even to Canada in the knockout stage....
Something big might have the chance of happening, but I will not believe it until we won the semifinal (thereby assuring at least silver) or the bronze match...

36 minutes ago, PHI2019 said:

:NED just defeated :RSA 33-1 in women’s water polo. I don’t recall there being a more lopsided score in the sport at the Olympics than this one.

This is just ridiculous. Either FINA or IOC has to make a call here after the Games because this can't happen again. It's shameful that :RSA is here with such a team.