website statistics

Men's Water Polo Tournament at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

Game over. Fuck this. I can accept when a team isn't in top form at an event or just don't have the talent. But this kind of inconsistency is beyond unacceptable. I am so tired of it.

It will be two 4th places for Hungarian water polo... There's no way that we will beat Spain or Serbia. 

Congrats to :GRE 

I am so proud of this team. Thank you to all of the kind Hungarians on here who are congratulating us and wishing us luck for the final. We appreciate it and we hope that Hungary doesn't get 4th place in both men's and women's. I will cheer for your teams.

This means so much for us honestly. Water polo really isn't a big sport in Greece to be honest, just in a few coastal towns outside Athens and a couple of islands the sport is popular, and in the rest of the country no one really plays it. But this is a big result for us and people are getting excited about water polo throughout the country (it also helps that this is the only event for Greece left in the Olympics after the women's race walk which will end within the next two hours). In our 16th Olympic appearance in men's water polo we finally got a medal. Those of us who follow our national team have been waiting many years for this and we have been disappointed many times but eventually we finally did it.

I know this might be a surprise for some people (and to be honest even we are surprised because we expected to be disappointed again), but our team really deserves it. People might not be used to seeing our team win medals and do well (though we had a few good runs in 2004-2005 and 2015-2017), but on paper we should be achieving such results. We have many good, talented players and it never made sense how our national team just couldn't achieve these big results with the players we have. Especially since our club teams typically do very well and also our national team players who play for other European clubs outside Greece.

Now we get the chance to go for gold! It will be very difficult but we definitely have a shot. No Greek team in any team sport has ever won gold at the Olympics, so this will be really special.

Greece faces serious troubles with bushfires, last night was horrible. Greek captain Fountoulis, in his post-game interview said:
"I want to say sorry (to apologise) to all Greeks for our joy"

I think it is one of the best comments ever said after such a historic moment during such a disastrous situation.