website statistics

Men's Water Polo Tournament at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

3 hours ago, zob79 said:

Oh wait, he did play for Olympiacos actually :facepalm:

I didn't even remember that. Probably because the format was different this year due to covid and we had some bad results so I wasn't fully paying attention like I normally do :facepalm:

In addition to Hungary, whose roster was mentioned some days ago, Italy, Australia, Serbia, Croatia, Montenegro and USA have also announced their rosters for the olympics.

For Serbia, 15 players will travel to Japan with two of them going for the last training camp and serving as reserves, if needed.

Montenegro's best and most experienced goalkeeper Dejan Lazovic is recovering from surgery and won't play.

World and European champions announce teams for Tokyo - Total Waterpolo (total-waterpolo.com) for Italy, Hungary, Australia

Serbia wins tournament in Belgrade; team for Tokyo is announced - Total Waterpolo (total-waterpolo.com) for Serbia

Head coaches of Croatia, Montenegro, and USA select Olympic rosters - Total Waterpolo (total-waterpolo.com) for Croatia, Montenegro, USA

• 2 weeks later...

A little away from topic. I read South Africa and Australia qualified by "continental selection". Why not the winners of African Championships and Oceania Championships?

12 minutes ago, Pifta said:

A little away from topic. I read South Africa and Australia qualified by "continental selection". Why not the winners of African Championships and Oceania Championships?

because only 1 country was interested in those two continents.

22 minutes ago, Pifta said:

There was no African or Oceania Championships. Basically, FINA asked if anyone was interested and only South Africa and Australia said yes.

There are 55 countries in Africa, even a 16-team tournament can be held with qualifying. I understand water polo is not very popular, but I imagine there are more than 10 players in every country who can play this sport. Not on world class level of course, but if you can swim and throw a ball, you can already be a member of the national team.

There are 12 countries and some more territories in Oceania. On those island contries, literally everyone can swim and throw a ball. So not on world class level, but they are able to form a team

4 minutes ago, Pifta said:

There are 55 countries in Africa, even a 16-team tournament can be held with qualifying. I understand water polo is not very popular, but I imagine there are more than 10 players in every country who can play this sport. Not on world class level of course, but if you can swim and throw a ball, you can already be a member of the national team.

There are 12 countries and some more territories in Oceania. On those island contries, literally everyone can swim and throw a ball. So not on world class level, but they are able to form a team

The thing is, even if you have a team traveling requires money. Most of these countries have very limited funding for sport and even some that have it may think it's just not worth the spending.