website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing 2017 - 2018 Discussion Thread

dcro

12 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Does anyone know of some locations/races where there is likely to be really good FIS points in cross-country? (I’ve been talking to the Nepalese athlete). I know next to nothing about how FIS points are calculated unfortunately.

The exotic countries for the sport. Like Turkey, Serbia etc.

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

The exotic countries for the sport. Like Turkey, Serbia etc.

4 minutes ago, dcro said:

Iran. Thise races only have Iranian racers and the 1st placed always gets less than 150 pts. Yet when their women compete at global stage they don't go anywhere close to that.

In Europe I think races on Balkan are the easiest to get inside 300. Western and Central Europe are probably the hardest places of all.

Right now we’re torn. First between Iran and Turkey. Then between Armenia and Lebanon. I was thinking Turkey because she could (with some planning) have 3 attempts on the same track in Erzurum, and Armenia since Lebanon might be risky. They’ve never hosted before and they’d need 5 women on the start line. Though I imagine the points would be amazing.. Any thoughts?

1 minute ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Right now we’re torn. First between Iran and Turkey. Then between Armenia and Lebanon. I was thinking Turkey because she could (with some planning) have 3 attempts on the same track in Erzurum, and Armenia since Lebanon might be risky. They’ve never hosted before and they’d need 5 women on the start line. Though I imagine the points would be amazing.. Any thoughts?

All the others are two races by the way she could do.

8 minutes ago, dcro said:

Iran. Those races only have Iranian racers and the 1st placed always gets less than 150 pts. Yet when their women compete at global stage they don't go anywhere close to that.

In Europe I think races on Balkan are the easiest to get inside 300. Western and Central Europe are probably the hardest places of all.

I know one of the Brazilians often travels to the Balkan for that reason. Apart from that, something like Iran indeed, since I believe 140-150 (around that) is the minimum number of points for a race with 5 (?) competitors, no matter their level. It's also the points they give to the winner of those races in Brazil/Argentina usually, but those athletes have a higher level than the Iranians.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, ahjfcshfghb said:

Turkey looks great with all those races around Christmas and New Year. Croatian racers for example go there during Balkan Cup, but they surely won't go there during those dates (and thus it will be even easier). I suppose only Turkish athletes may be on the line-up.

If things don't go to plan she can re-route to Armenia I guess (those races are usually held every year, I can't imagine why not in the Olympic season).

Edited by dcro

#banbestmen

Just now, dcro said:

Turkey looks great with all those racers around Christmas and New Year. Croatian racers for example go there during Balkan Cup, but they surely won't go there during those dates (and thus it will be even easier). I suppose only Turkish athletes may be on the line-up.

If things don't go to plan she can re-route to Armenia I guess (those races are usually held every year, I can't imagine why not in the Olympic season).

Better options than Lebanon, definitely. You don't wanna go all the way there and then end up seeing only two of the 'promised' 5 athletes participating. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Just now, heywoodu said:

Better options than Lebanon, definitely. You don't wanna go all the way there and then end up seeing only two of the 'promised' 5 athletes participating. 

Ok so Lebanon’s out and Armenia’s in :) That won’t clash with anything.

4 minutes ago, dcro said:

Turkey looks great with all those races around Christmas and New Year. Croatian racers for example go there during Balkan Cup, but they surely won't go there during those dates (and thus it will be even easier). I suppose only Turkish athletes may be on the line-up.

Now Turkey and Iran. The thing is she can’t make the Christmas races in Turkey because her manager is busy at Christmas and no one else can take her there. So then there’s 2 races in Turkey and 2 in Iran at the same time. She could possibly do 3 in Turkey but it would be rough timing. So would you say Iran just because of the points? Last year only 6 women showed up, so it’s a bit risky in terms of numbers.

Ok so Lebanon’s out and Armenia’s in :) That won’t clash with anything.

Now Turkey and Iran. The thing is she can’t make the Christmas races in Turkey because her manager is busy at Christmas and no one else can take her there. So then there’s 2 races in Turkey and 2 in Iran at the same time. She could possibly do 3 in Turkey but it would be rough timing. So would you say Iran just because of the points? Last year only 6 women showed up, so it’s a bit risky in terms of numbers.

Iran does sound a bit risky, but they do have 4 women who are (relatively speaking) pretty close, with three others who are far behind. At least that's how it was several weeks ago:

https://data.fis-ski.com/dynamic/results.html?sector=CC&raceid=30309

Which was rollerskiing, so one might imagine those last 2-3 aren't making the move to snow yet. 

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Iran does sound a bit risky, but they do have 4 women who are (relatively speaking) pretty close, with three others who are far behind. At least that's how it was several weeks ago:

https://data.fis-ski.com/dynamic/results.html?sector=CC&raceid=30309

Which was rollerskiing, so one might imagine those last 2-3 aren't making the move to snow yet. 

I guess we can check with the organizing committee and see how many have/will have signed up.

Does the 150 FIS point rule only apply to distance races? The winner in Tehran had over 350.

I guess we can check with the organizing committee and see how many have/will have signed up.

Does the 150 FIS point rule only apply to distance races? The winner in Tehran had over 350.

I'm not sure about the exact numbers, but I do know the minimum is lower for distance races than for sprints. It's somewhere in the FIS documentation though. Distance races are definitely better to get points, although I would check the documentation before drawing any conclusions :p 

Edited by heywoodu