website statistics

Biathlon IBU Junior & Youth World Championships 2021

Totallympics

• 1 month later...

US announces their team:

Junior Women
Sarah Beaulieu (Fort Fairfield, Maine/Sugar Bowl Academy)
Helen Wilson (Eagle River, Alaska/Anchorage Biathlon Club)
Jackie Garso (Lake Clear, N.Y./Auburn Ski Club)
Ariana Woods (Bozeman, Mont./Crosscut Mountain Sports)

Junior Men
Vincent Bonacci (Salt Lake City, Utah/Crosscut Mountain Sports)
Vaclav Cervenka (Grand Rapids, Minn./National Guard Biathlon/Mt. Itasca)
Lars Hammernes Leopold (Truckee, Calif./Asker Ski Club)
Bjorn Westervelt (Stowe, Vt./Craftsbury Biathlon Club/UVM)

Youth Women
Sidney Bennion (Midway, Utah/Team Soldier Hollow/PCSS)
Maja Lapkass (Anchorage, Alaska/Anchorage Biathlon Club/APU)
Lexie Madigan (Truckee, Calif./Auburn Ski Club)
Eva Weymuller (Winthrop, Wash./Methow Valley Biathlon)

Youth Men
Etienne Bordes (Tahoe City, Calif./Auburn Ski Club)
Wes Campbell (Park City, Utah/Team Soldier Hollow/PCSS)
Sam Stertz (Grand Rapids, Minn./Mt. Itasca Biathlon Club)
Cale Woods (Bozeman, Mont./Crosscut Mountain Sports)

I guess have to take back what I said about it being unusual for California to have biathletes. Auburn Ski Club was the club I was taking about though (as being our only biathlon club in state).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I guess have to take back what I said about it being unusual for California to have biathletes. Auburn Ski Club was the club I was taking about though (as being our only biathlon club in state).

Their current coach at Auburn is Brian Halligan, a former US Youth and Junior biathlete who never quite made it to the full National Team.  One thing that impresses me about the list is variety.  Instead of all from Vermont or New Hampshire, of the 16 athletes, there are 9 states represented.  That is great for the health of biathlon in the United States.  This is even without Wyoming, Idaho, Wisconsin or New Hampshire who often are represented.  I think the hiring of Tim Burke as the Youth/Junior Development Director has really allowed the Youth/Junior section of USBA to develop in ways it previously had not.  

• 3 weeks later...

Some interesting stat i read today (maybe someone is interested):

The last 4 german male gold medalists at junior world championships were:

Tom Barth (sprint 2011)

Johannes Kühn (pursuit 2011)

Max Barchwitz (individual 2020)

Danilo Riethmüller (pursuit 2020)

I was quite surprised when I read this, I would have thought that Germany had many more individual world champions during that time (Russia won 10 golds during that time and Norway won 7). Will be interesting to see how Barchwitz and especially Riethmüller will develop.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

I think that from the US, I would love 2 top 10s.  I agree that any top 20 would be good.  I think the relay's, top 8?

No idea this year.  A few US biathletes did compete in IBU Cup events.  But who knows.

I think Greenland will get another medal!

I also think that 10 total teams will get medals.

1 hour ago, RobtheAggie said:

I think that from the US, I would love 2 top 10s.  I agree that any top 20 would be good.  I think the relay's, top 8?

No idea this year.  A few US biathletes did compete in IBU Cup events.  But who knows.

I think Greenland will get another medal!

I also think that 10 total teams will get medals.

Which 10 nations do you have in mind?

Last year 12 different nations won a medal and surprisingly Sweden wasn’t one of them. I doubt that Bulgaria will medal again and Belarus/USA each won only one bronze last year, on the other hand this time nations like Kazakhstan, Ukraine or New Zealand could medal.

The following individual medalists will be young enough to return (in the same age category):

- Amy Baserga (won bronze in junior women individual)

- Linda Zingerle (won gold in youth women sprint and bronze in youth women pursuit)

- Oceane Michelon (won bronze in youth women sprint)

- Anastasia Shevchenko (won gold in junior women sprint and gold in junior women pursuit)

- Aasne Skrede (won silver in junior women sprint and silver in women junior pursuit)

- Danilo Riethmüller (won gold in junior men pursuit)

- Alex Cisar (won bronze in junior men pursuit)

From a German perspective I hope that Danilo Riethmüller will win at least one medal again. Not sure about the women’s side though, there doesn’t seem to be a special talent. Germany seems to have the same problem as usual: They just aren’t competitive in cross-country.

I guess on the women’s side Zingerle should dominate at youth level and Shevchenko/Aasne should dominate at junior level, on the men’s side it looks more open.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.