website statistics

Freestyle Skiing FIS World Championships 2017

dareza

FIS FREESTYLE SKIING

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

yfAAOOIMNbNhBPvAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Men's Dual Moguls
Non-Olympic Event

Final Results

JPN.gif HORISHIMA Ikuma
-Big Final

USA.gif WILSON Bradley
-Big Final

SUI.gif TADE Marco
-Small Final

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Women's Dual Moguls
Non-Olympic Event

Final Results

FRA.gif LAFFONT Perrine
-Big Final

KAZ.gif GALYSHEVA Yulia
-Big Final

USA.gif KAUF Jaelin
-Small Final

Laffont and Horishima win golds in dual moguls shocker

Z

The second day of competition at the Sierra Nevada 2017 Freestyle Ski and Snowboard World Championships set a standard that all other competitions will have a tough time topping, with Perrine Laffont (FRA) taking ladies’ gold and Ikuma Horishima (JPN) becoming the first ever men’s double world champion in a hugely entertaining dual moguls competition. 

Dual moguls is always an unpredictable event, but few could have foreseen the outcome of Thursday’s competition, where the entire Canadian squad - including 2015 dual moguls world champion Mikael Kingsbury - were eliminated in the quarterfinals, yesterday’s ladies’ single moguls world champion Britt Cox (AUS) was bumped in the semi finals, and the men’s super final saw both athletes involved in separate crashes in their push for the finish line.

Laffont took a tough road to the final, knocking off Hedwig Wessel (NOR), Keaton McCargo (USA), and Jaling Kauf (USA) on her way to a showdown with Yulia Galysheva of Kazakstan in the big final. 

Once there, both Laffont and Galysheva showed off just why they were the last two ladies standing on the day, putting aside the pressure of the moment and laying down a pair of masterful runs that would leave no one envious of the judges duties in deciding a winner. For most gathered it was too close to call, but when the scores came down the decision went to Laffont by slimmest possible margin - 18-17. 

“It’s crazy…I can’t believe it,” Laffont said from the finish, still emotional after celebrating with her extended family who were on hand to witness the occassion, “I’m 18 years old and I’m the new world champion. Just last year I was the junior world champion and now I’m the real world champ. Last year I won my first world cup, yesterday I took silver medal (in single moguls), and today I’m the champion. I can’t believe it.

“In the start before final I had no energy. I was like, ‘I can’t do this. I’m so tired.’ After winning silver yesterday I was just so tired. But I just tried, I did everything I could in my final run, and it worked.”

Galysheva’s silver medal was one step up from her performance at the Kreischberg 2015 world championships, where she took the bronze, with Thursday’s medal coming ten years to the day after she competed in her first world championships competition. 

In the small final, the above-mentioned Kauf squared off against Jee-Won Seo (KOR), where she was able to claim the first Sierra Nevada 2017 medal for the USA with a strong 21-14 victory. 

Horishima first man to claim double world championship gold

While the ladies’ competition certainly had it’s share of upsets and surprises, nothing could compare to the men’s dual moguls finals at Sierra Nevada. Beginning with the first heat and ending with the final one it was one shocking result after another, and by the end of the competition Ikuma Horishima - yesterday’s single moguls winner - would take the victory and become the first men to win double moguls world championships gold medals. 

First up was eight final number one, where the eventual-winner Horishima knocked off the typically indomitable Kingsbury with ease, by a score of 21-14. From there, the list of favourites to fall in the first round of heats included Ben Cavet (FRA), Matt Graham (AUS), and Philippe Marquis - athletes ranked two, three, and four in the world, respectively.

Meanwhile, Horishima calmly carried on from his defeat of Kingsbury, proceeding to smash his way to the big final by skiing faster, tighter, and bolder runs than seemed physically possible.

In the big final he met Bradley Wilson, the athlete consistently proven to be the fastest on the moguls World Cup this past season, and having those two in the mix would quickly prove too volatile to last.

After a blistering top section, both athletes started to lose form just after the first jump, with Horishima losing control first and crashing to a full stop in the middle of the course. Wilson, meanwhile, was desperately fighting a losing battle to hold it all together himself, but eventually he he too would give in to gravity and pull up short just behind the bottom air bump, then skipping that jump and rolling slowly into the final pitch and towards the finish.

Meanwhile, Horishima had picked himself up, seen the struggles of Wilson, and set back on down the course, launching a massive off-axis 720 off the bottom jump and pinning it across the line just behind Wilson. 

It was almost too much to believe for the fans gathered at the bottom of the course, but the judges in the booth, pros prepared for virtually any scenario, were able to properly evaluate both runs and give the win to Horishima by a score of 20-15.

Silver medallist Wilson had an was insightful in describing what happened following the competition.

“He was the one athlete skiing faster than me in singles yesterday, and I knew that, going into finals. I landed the top air a going a little too fast and couldn’t quite control it. I was about to blow out, but then I saw him blow out and I just tried to hold, but by then I had really already lost it. Unfortunately, it took me almost the whole run to finally figure it out, and I missed the bottom air.

“Looking back on it, it’s like, ‘Oh man, if only I could have done something else,’ but hindsight is 20/20. I’m still super stoked with my runs before the big final, and I’m pumped on this medal. I mean, second place at the world championships, this is definitely one of the highlights of my career. 

Through a translator, the 19-year-old Horishima reflected on his big final.

“In the start I was very nervous, but I knew also that I had strength. When I fell down, I knew that I would get back up and finish the run, no matter what. This is what I did and now I am the double world champion.”

Bronze on the day would go to Switzerland's Marco Tade, with the 21-year-old Swiss skier taking the small final win against his good friend and roommate here in Sierra Nevada, Sacha Theocharis of France, after Theocharis crashed out in the middle of his run. 

2Q==

Full Results Men and Women

Perrine Laffont

2017 Womens Dual Moguls World Champion

and

Ikuma Horishima

2017 Mens Dual Moguls World Champion

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FIS FREESTYLE SKIING

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

USA, Australia, and China looking strong for aerials world championship

Ashley Caldwell and Mac Bohonnon top qualifications, but Australian and Chinese teams will be strong on Friday night.

2Q==

The rapid fire Freestyle Skiing start to the Sierra Nevada 2017 Freestyle Ski & Snowboard World Championships continues right along on Friday evening, with the ladies and men of aerials set to send it high for world championships gold under the lights in Spain. 

Soaring temperatures in Sierra Nevada have affected the aerials venue perhaps more than any other so far at these world championships, as shaping the precise geometry of the aerials jumps is a delicate operation at the best of times.

However, crews in Sierra Nevada have been pulling out all the stops to ensure the jumps don’t deteriorate, covering them during the days and constantly pumping dry ice below the surface to keep them cold, in form and ready for competition. And while there have been some delays and restructuring of the program during training, come competition time the jumps will be ready to host world championships-caliber action.

In fact, the aerials venue in Sierra Nevada has already been put through its paces, with qualifications on Thursday seeing some excellent jumping and some strong results for the US, Australian, and Chinese teams ahead of Friday’s finals. 

US athletes lead the way in both the men’s and ladies’ sides, with Ashely Caldwell notching the biggest ladies’ score by stomping the only triple flip of the evening - a full, full, full for 103.68 points - and Mac Bohonnon coming away from qualies with the top men’s score after nailing a full, double full, full, for 124.34 points. 

However, the slate is wiped clean come time for finals tomorrow, and the battle for 2017 world championships title will be fierce, with nearly all the top competitors making it through qualifications and into tomorrow’s competition.

On the ladies’ side, this means the stacked Australian team will be bringing numbers to the party, with all four of their athletes making it through to finals from the first round of qualification (top 6), lead by reigning world champion Laura Peel.

Though the 2016/17 World Cup season wasn’t Peel’s best, she comes into Sierra Nevada hot on the heels of her lone podium on the season, and appears to be peaking just in time for Friday’s competition.

Also to watch out for is 2013 world champion and this season’s crystal globe winner Mentao Xu (CHN), Peel's teammates Danielle Scott and Lydia Lassila (AUS), and 18-year-old Russian standout Liubov Nikitina.

Over on the men’s side, it was team China putting three athletes through to the finals in the top-6, with two-time reigning world champion Qi Guangpu leading the way for that squad with second place in qualification. Qi scored no lower than runner-up in any competition he entered this year, and the rest of the men’s field will be in tough to take his throne tomorrow. 

However, there are some big time performers set to try and do just that, including Qi’s teammates Zhou Hang and Jia Zongyang, 2015 world championships bronze medallist Maxim Gustik (BLR), and Sochi 2014 silver medalist David Morris (AUS).

Action in the Sierra Nevada aerials world championship competition gets underway on Friday night at 19:30 CET, and competition will feature a three jump final format that will begin with a field of 12 men and 12 ladies that will be whittled down to nine athletes for jump two, and finally to just six skiers in one jump super final. 

Full Qualifications Results Men and Women

FIS FREESTYLE SKIING

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Men's Aerials
Final Results

USA.gif LILLIS Jonathon
125.79F3

CHN.gif QI Guangpu
F3

AUS.gif MORRIS David
114.93F3

Women's Aerials
Final Results

USA.gif CALDWELL Ashley
F3

AUS.gif SCOTT Danielle
F3

CHN.gif XU Mengtao
F3

Caldwell and Lillis sweep Sierra Nevada aerials golds for USA

Z

It was an incredible night for the US aerials team on Friday at the Sierra Nevada 2017 Freestyle Ski & Snowboard World Championships, with Ashley Caldwell and Jonathon Lillis both nailing incredible final jumps to take the respective ladies’ and men’s gold medals and World Champion titles. 

Caldwell’s performance should go down in history as one of the greatest of all time, as the 23-year-old became the first woman ever to land the triple-flipping, quadruple-spinning jump known as “The Daddy” in competition - a full, double full, full. 

However, Caldwell almost didn’t get the chance to change ladies’ aerials forever, as she made her way through the first round of the three-round finals by the barest of margins, back-slapping on her first jump and ending up as the ninth-ranked athlete of the nine who would make it through to final round two. 

However, in the second final she hit her stride, nailing a full, full, full and making her way into the super final in top spot, earning the right to drop in as the last jumper of the night in the process.

Before the super final jump she was able to watch from the top of the in-run as 2016/17 World Cup aerials crystal globe winner Xu Mengtao (CHN) and Xu’s runner-up in the World Cup Danielle Scott (AUS) dropped before her. Both Xu and then Scott nailed their jumps, with Scott’s full, double-full giving her a score of 94.47 to lead Xu’s score of 91.65.

Then, of course, it was Caldwell’s turn to do what had never been done before in competition and she rose to the occasion, muscling through an imperfect landing on her full, double full, full to ride into the finish area with her arms raised in celebration.

“This was the first time I’ve ever landed that jump…ever,” Caldwell said following the awards ceremony, “Today was only the third time I’ve ever even tried it. Before dropping in I was just thinking to myself, ‘This is my third one, at least if I crash I was doing something big and ballsy,’ but aside from that I was thinking the same things I do before every jump. I just had a little more nerves than normal. 

“And then Johnny (Lillis) winning, too…it’s just unbelievable. I’ve known him since he was a 13-year-old little boy. We grew up together. So having him up there with me is just phenomenal. It’s been a bit of a rough season for me and this makes everything a little bit better.”

Scott’s silver medal was the second of her world championships career, after she took a bronze in Voss (NOR) in 2013, and caps off another excellent season for the Aussie who has spent the past three World Cup campaigns ranked inside the top-3. 

Xu, meanwhile, took her fourth career world championships medal, moving her into fourth place on the ladies’ all-time list.

Lillis takes first international win on season’s biggest stage

While there were no record-breaking performances on the men’s side, there certainly wasn’t any  shortage of drama, as the heavyweights of aerials stomped jump after jump through the three rounds of finals. 

Despite the world champions, Olympic medalists, and crystal globe winners that he found himself stacked up against in Friday’s competition, there was no backing down for Lillis. He - like his teammate Caldwell - put down the top score in the second final to give himself the opportunity to watch his competitors before announcing his jump to the judges and dropping in last.

Because of this, he was able to watch as 2013 and 2015 world champion Qi Guangpu (CHN) downgraded his super final jump from a quintuple-spinning air to a quad just before dropping in, perhaps thinking that the less-experienced Lillis would cave under the super final pressure. 

However, after Qi landed his double-full, full, full for a score of 120.36, Lillis in turn upgraded his own jump to a full, full, double full. He then proceeded to land that with authorityt to earn a score of 125.79 and give the USA their first sweep of world championships golds since Nikki Stone and Trace Worthington did it 22 years ago.

“I can’t put my feelings into words. I can’t believe it,” an emotional Lillis said after awards, “Before I dropped in I managed to draw a lot of focus. At the World Cup finals in Moscow the other week I was in the same position and I missed my take-off and missed my jump. Tonight I was like, ‘Not two times in a row. I’m not going last and missing the podium.’ And, I ended up on top.

“And for our team, for me and Ashley to be dual world champions… We’ve been living and breathing aerials together since we were 13. We’ve been together the whole time and we were both able to put it together tonight and share world champs gold.”

Though he was unable to make it three-in-a-row golds, Qi’s silver medal performance on the day would be the fourth world championships medal of his career. 

The bronze medal went to David Morris (AUS), as the Sochi 2014 Olympic silver medallist capped off an up-and-down season with an exceptional performance through all three phases of Friday’s finals.

Z

Full Final Results Men and Women

Womens aerials:

22 competitors from 9 different nations

Final result:

1) USA

2) Australia

3) China

4) Australia

5) Australia

6) Australia

And they called it a winter sport ...

Not a single competitor from France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Switzerland ...

Mens aerials:

27 competitors from 11 different nations

Not a single competitor from France, Italy, Germany or Austria ...

Womens snowboard cross:

28 competitors from 12 different nations

Out of those 28 competitors, 2 didnt start, one didnt finish the first run and consequently didnt start the 2nd run. Out of the remaining 25 competitors 24 qualified for the next round ...

Not a single competitor from Austria or Switzerland ...

Its sad to see that there are olympic events that dont even have 30 competitors or more than 12 different nations competing. I guess even luge is ultra-competitive compared to those sports ...

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

FIS FREESTYLE SKIING

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Men's Ski Cross
Final Results

SWE.gif OEHLING NORBERG Victor
-Big Final

NZL.gif PREBBLE Jamie
-Big Final

FRA.gif PLACE Francois
-Big Final

Women's Ski Cross
Final Results

SWE.gif NAESLUND Sandra
-Big Final

SUI.gif SMITH Fanny
-Big Final

FRA.gif DAVID Ophelie
-Big Final

Double ski cross gold for Sweden in Sierra Nevada

9k=

The 2016/17 ski cross season came to a conclusion in storybook fashion on Saturday at the Sierra Nevada 2017 Freestyle Ski & Snowboard World Championships, as a double gold medal-winning performance for Sweden's Sandra Naeslund and Victor Oehling Norberg capped off a rollercoaster season for the Swedish ski cross squad. 

It was an incredibly entertaining competition from start to finish in Sierra Nevada, with the surprises coming early and often through the course of the day.

In the very first heat, three-peat crystal globe winner, 2013 world champion, and top qualifier Jean Frederic Chapuis (FRA) was bounced from competition after casing a landing in the middle section of the course and falling behind. Season third-overall on the World Cup Alex Fiva quickly followed suit on his way out of the competition, while top names like Chris Delbosco (CAN), Marc Bischofberger (SUI), and Jonas Devouassoux (FRA) all found themselves done for the day after the 1/4 finals.

Then, on the ladies’ side, 2016/17 crystal globe winner and reigning Olympic champion Marielle Thompson (CAN) failed to advance from her semi-final heat, and was forced to settle for fifth place with a small final win. 

However, even without Thompson, the ladies’ big final came down four of the toughest competitors in the game, with Naeslund lined up alongside Fanny Smith (SUI), Heidi Zacher (GER) and Ophelie David (FRA) - the athletes who finished ranked second to fifth, respectively, on the 2016/17 Audi FIS Ski Cross World Cup leaderboard.

Naeslund’s gold medal-winning performance was a dominating one, as she lead from top to bottom with only a brief period where Smith closed in hoping for an opening to pass. Naeslund wasn’t having it, and turned on the jets, crossing the line as the Sierra Nevada 2017 ski cross world champion at the age of 20 years, eight months, and 12 days to become the youngest-ever ski cross world champion. 

“I’m really happy,” said the typically understated Naeslund following awards, “I didn’t get a full training run today because I got yellow flagged, and then in the 1/4 finals I had some mistakes, my starts weren’t so good, but I felt confident with my skiing once I got going and my skis were fast.

"It’s incredible for our team, today. For Victor, he’s had a tough season, and for him to win the gold now  is amazing. For me, I’ve been skiing good all year, and now to take the gold medal is really good.”

Smith would cross in second for the silver medal, giving her the missing piece for a collection that already includes 2015 bronze and 2013 gold. Meanwhile, the incredible David would hold off Zacher to take bronze and the fifth world championships medal of her career, all at the age of 40 years old. 

Oehling Norberg caps toughest season of his career with triumph

Victor Oehling Norberg’s gold medal performance at Sierra Nevada 2017 was an incredible triumph for the 26-year-old on a multitude of levels, and should go down as the most emotionally-charged story of the season.

First, there is the fact that that he just returned to competition at the World Championships after missing the final two events of the season due to nagging injuries, making for more than a month elapsed since his last taste of ski cross competition. 

However, more important than that, is the burden he has carried throughout the season since his teammate and partner Anna Holmlund went down with a serious injury in December. Oehling Norberg excused himself from the tour to be by Holmlund’s side following her injury, attempting a late-season return to competition for events in Germany and his native Sweden that would lead to the re-aggravation of those nagging injuries mentioned above.

Oehling Norberg was slowest out of the gate in Saturday’s big final, but quickly passed Francois Place (FRA) to make his way into third behind 2015 world champion Filip Flisar (SLO) and Jamie Prebble (NZL). When a small mistake by Flisar in the middle of the course saw him drop out of the lead and into fourth, Oehling Norberg zipped by both him and Prebble and into a lead he would not relinquish, crossing the line first and capping off a season in which he has weathered the lowest-of-lows with the highest of titles - world champion. 

“When I woke up today I didn’t even think I was going to make it through to finals,” Oehling Norberg said from the finish, weary but smiling, “Everything I was saying to the media before today was lies, actually, just to pretend I was fine and to try to keep up momentum, because I’ve been feeling not the best and my body has been not the best either. 

“It was a very emotional win today. Even after the first heat I was exhausted. Sitting on the snowmobile going back up my legs were just thumping. It was so crazy. But I just took it one run at a time. Every time I was in the start gate I just thought, ‘Ok, this is the last time, let’s do this,’ and then I just kept making it through. And somehow, now, I’m world champion.”

Prebble would hold on to Oehling Norberg’s tails to take silver; an incredible result for the lone World Cup ski cross athlete from New Zealand, who travels without his own national coach or technician and relies instead on a partnership with the Australian team. While his best World Cup result was a fifth last season in Arosa, with the fastest starts and determined runs throughout the day he truly earned his Sierra Nevada 2017 result.

Finally, one more incredible turn of events in a men’s race that was full of them, was the bronze medal going to France’s Place after it was determined Flisar missed a gate in the first turn of the big final, disqualifying the Slovenian. 

Place’s performance surely goes down in history as the quickest an athlete has ever joined the ski cross World Cup and gone on to win a world championship medal, as the recent Alpine transplant only had three World Cup competitions to his name before stepping on to the Sierra Nevada 2017 podium on Saturday. 

Mens Ski Cross Full Qualification and Final Results

Womens Ski Cross Full Qualification and Final Results

Sandra Naeslund

2017 Womens Ski Cross World Champion

and

Victor Oehling Norberg

2017 Mens Ski Cross World Champion

FIS FREESTYLE SKIING

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Men's Halfpipe
Final Results

USA.gif BLUNCK Aaron

CAN.gif RIDDLE Mike

FRA.gif ROLLAND Kevin

Women's Halfpipe
Final Results

JPN.gif ONOZUKA Ayana

FRA.gif MARTINOD Marie

USA.gif LOGAN Devin

Onozuka and Blunck claim halfpipe world championship golds

9k=

The penultimate event of the Sierra Nevada 2017 Freestyle Ski & Snowboard World Championships went down on Saturday night under the lights of the Spanish resort, where Ayana Onozuka (JPN) and Aaron Blunck (USA) took gold medals in the halfpipe competition. 

Competition was delayed by 30 minutes as crews went all-out to clean out a pipe that changed rapidly as temperatures dropped just before competition, but once they did get things in order the stage was set for what turned out to be hugely entertaining contest. 

Ladies’ gold medallist Onozuka was on fire all night, stomping all three of her runs and earning scores in both runs two and three that would have been enough to earn her the world championship title. 

At the end of the day though it was run two that would do it for her, putting down a line that was highlighted by a first-hit left 900 and a switch right 720 safety, earning her a score of 89.80. Big, clean, and stylish from run to run and trick to trick, there was no doubt that Onozuka deserved the Sierra Nevada 2017 world championship title.

“I still can’t believe it,” Onzuka said after awards, gold medal adorned, “It’s my first win of the season, in the last competition of the season, and I just can’t find the words to describe this feeling. Before dropping in tonight I was very nervous, but I was able to land my runs and for that I’m so happy. Especially about my 900, which has been my new trick this season.”

Onozuka was followed up by halfpipe veteran Marie Martinod (FRA), the 2016/17 World Cup halfpipe crystal globe winner who qualified first and was the last lady to drop in on the evening. 

Martinod changed her run up completely for her third run in a go-for-broke push for the gold medal, launching a well-grabbed final hit 1080 that, had she landed it, would very likely have had her on top of the podium. 

However, she came up a little short on the final rotation, and as a result her first run score of 87.00 would be the one to stick, and she would have to settle for the silver. 

Bronze went to Devin Logan (USA), last season’s Freestyle overall crystal globe winner. After a decent first run some and problems in run two, Logan was able to put it all together in run three to earn a score of 84.20 and her piece of the Sierra Nevada 2017 halfpipe podium.

Blunck sets early benchmark that can’t be beat

Over on the men’s side, Aaron Blunck dropped in with the second run of the evening and proceeded to stomp a benchmark score that could not be met by a finals field stocked with the great majority of the best halfpipe skiers in the world.

Blunck squeaked into finals in the 9th spot, but once there he made no mistake in his first go, with a run bookended by a first-hit left double cork japan and a last-hit double cork 1260 mute, and with three hits of near-perfection in between. 

“I could not be more stoked,” said Blunck from the finish, “This is the best season I’ve ever had and it’s been like a dream come true for me. I’ve just wanted to have as much fun as possible and this season it feels like that’s all it’s been.

“I was super excited to land that first run. As the night went on it got faster and icier and scarier in there, so to get that first one down was big. But the crews here in Sierra Nevada did a great job to get the pipe to the condition it was in tonight.”

Just behind Blunck in second place was top qualifier and long-time halfpipe ruler Mike Riddle (CAN). After missing much of last season due to injuries and struggling somewhat in 2016/17, Riddle was able to put it down when it mattered most this season, landing a second run in Sierra Nevada that was highlighted by a silky smooth left double cork 1260 to earn a score of 89.60 and the silver medal.

Third place and the bronze medal went to France’s Kevin Rolland. Like Blunck, Rolland went all-out on his first run to earn a score of 88.40. However, knowing he had Blunck’s mark to catch, he pushed it even harder on his second run only to suffer the most spectacular crash of the evening. 

While he would be mostly unharmed from the wreck, he wouldn’t be able to put down a clean run three, and the 2016/17 halfpipe crystal globe winner would have to settle for the third step on the podium.

2Q==

Full Mens Qualification and Final Results

Full Womens Qualification and Final Results

Ayana Onozuka

2017 Freestyle Skiing Halfpipe Womens World Champion

and

Aaron Blunck

2017 Freestyle Skiing Halfpipe Mens World Champion