website statistics

Wrestling UWW European Olympic Games Qualifier 2021

Totallympics

9 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

Milad Alirzaev, sounds Iranian name. 

I dont know about him but Zurabi will have problems, no doubt.

yes indeed, if you replace that "V" with an "I", that's pretty much an Iranian name

I have no information if he is related to Iran or not. but I just don't think Milad is a Russian name :p

38 minutes ago, MHSN said:

yes indeed, if you replace that "V" with an "I", that's pretty much an Iranian name

I have no information if he is related to Iran or not. but I just don't think Milad is a Russian name :p

:yes

I know about Milad Beigi, so conclusion was obvious.

Sure cant be Dagestani or Chechen name, those names are rather Arabic than Persian or should i say, Farsi.

Do you know anything about his career? I see that he participated at ECh U23 in 2019. 

11 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

:yes

I know about Milad Beigi, so conclusion was obvious.

Sure cant be Dagestani or Chechen name, those names are rather Arabic than Persian or should i say, Farsi.

Do you know anything about his career? I see that he participated at ECh U23 in 2019. 

Milad is a pure Persian name as far as I know. but nowadays people use everything everywhere in the world :p

he had some decent results at 82kg. this is his first big test in an Olympic weight, he was a late replacement for Chakvetadze but he won the Russian nationals. so he is OK

looking at the FS draw, I see quite a few very unbalanced sides in almost each weight class...

in the -57kg, :BUL Vangelov has almost a freeway on his side of the draw, in the bottom half there are more trustable candidates, my pick however is :ARM Harutyunyan...

in the -65kg, :AZE Aliyev just can't miss such easy chance in the top half of the draw, in the bottom half instead there are once again more candidates, my pick is :GEO Khinchegashvili...

in the -74kg, the top half should be a question between :HUN Kuramagomedov and :AZE Gadzhiyev, meanwhile in the bottom half my pick is :TUR Demirtas, even if he won't have an easy route to the final...

in the -86kg, once again the top half of the draw is a lot easier than the lower side...I'd be very surprised if someone not being :BLR Shabanau or :MDA Ianulov would eventually qualify, in the bottom half there's more competition, but I still think :GEO Aminashvili would finally prevail (this is quite a kamikaze guess, I suppose :lol:)...

in the -97kg, the top half should be a question between :ITA Ruano Conyedo and :BLR Hushtyn, but I'm too biased and I support "my" former Cuban guy...in the bottom half my pick is :TUR Karadeniz (another kamikaze guess, however I strongly support the :SUI guy, Scherrer, despite he isn't among the favourites at all)...

in the -125kg class, finally, my pick are :AZE Magomedov (basically a free pass for him) in the top half and one between :RUS Sharipov or :BLR Kramiankou in the bottom half... 

OK here is what I think about the freestyle draw. hopefully I'm not "very wrong" things are more unpredictable because of COVID, I didn't see some of these guys for a while and had to trust what I knew about them from a year ago.

if Azerbaijan was hosting the event I would say they rigged the draw (using the same software Kazakhstan did in 2019 :p) but it's probably just pure luck, they qualified 97 already and 4 out of 5 are facing very favorable draw here.

57kg:

dream draw for Azerbaijan in the top half, even though they sent a different guy than planned but Bazarganov is still good enough to qualify while Metreveli in the 2nd round is not that bad I believe his only obstacle is the top seed Vangelov (BUL). Vangelov is experienced but never achieved anything internationally so I think AZE is the clear favorite here.

in the bottom half we have 5-6 wrestlers capable of winning the quota. I think the winner of ARM/BLR in the first round will have a good chance but then he will have GEO and then Yatsenko in the SF. Egorov from MKD isn't that bad too. I still say Harutyunyan but this kid cuts lots of kilos to make 57kg. it will depend on his physical condition. he has to win 3 tough matches, not sure if he is capable of that. on the other hand Yatsenko most probably has no problem to advance to the semis and has just one tough test before the final.

My prediction: :AZE:ARM

65kg:

another dream draw for AZE, Haji Aliev only has one big opponent to win the quota. the top seed from Turkey, this guy with a long name is always seeded but whenever I watch his matches he loses. I think Haji will beat him relatively easily

in the 1st quarter of the bottom half, Gadzhiev is the clear favorite, Bucur is good though. those two guys from SLO and GER are no pushover either but I believe Gadzhiev can win that part of the draw. the hardest part is the 4th quarter of the draw. we have Khinch , Shuptar, Dubov, the Armenian kid who just won the World Cup and the BLR guy right next to each other. Khinch didn't "shine" since his Olympic title and he is up a weight but then I think he can beat Shuptar and next match against France. I believe he can handle one tough match in the semifinal. after all you can't underestimate an Olympic champion but he has to bring his best

My prediction: :AZE:GEO

74kg:

another one-sided draw and again the Azeri guy is in the "good" half. I believe the 2nd round match between the Russian guy of HUN and AZE will determine the Olympic quota but the Romanian should not be underestimated.

the bottom half is much harder as usual, I don't know much about the Ukrainian guy so I assume it will be between Kentchadze, Salkazanov and the Russian guy of BLR. we also have the Olympic bronze medalist Demirtas but he wasn't really good recently. there is an Iranian guy reperesnting GBR too but I think they will eat him alive :p I don't know how much BLR guy cuts for 74kg but if he is healthy I pick him over Kentchadze and Salkazanov. even though it will be close.

My prediction: :AZE:BLR

84kg:

this time we have a tougher top half, Dudarov (GER) was very close to win the quota in 2019 but he did nothing special after that. I think Magamaev will win that quarter of the draw. but wow we have 4 of the favorites in the 2nd quarter. Vereb is a bit old, I cross his name first. Gocen had lots of up and downs I don't know what to expect from him! sames goes to Abakarov. so I think Shabanov is the guy. he always wrestles very good against the Iranians. that's probably why I rank him high (maybe higher than his real place) but I think 6 of the guys in the top half are capable of winning the quota.

the bottom half isn't easy either, I think Aminashvili has a better chance to win his first 2 matches, in the last quarter we have POL, MDA and SVK. Makoev is a world silver medalist but he did nothing after that, still he shouldn't be underestimated but the Polish guy is really good. he won the Ukraine tournament recently. Poland had another wrestler in the list but this guy is as good as him. and maybe better and that's why they are sending him.

OK they changed the draw, so I have to make few changes, Vereb and Abakarov are now in the bottom half. not much change in my final prediction but now the bottom half is harder. the new draw made the life a bit easier for Shabanov. but now the Polish guy has to win 3 tough matches to qualify, not sure if he is that good.

My prediction: :BLR:POL

97kg:

Conyedo is already in the SF, just one match away from the Olympics but that one match won't be easy at all. it will be Hushtyn or the winner of UKR/BUL. I'm not much familiar with them so I think Hushtyn will win that part and will also win the quota. but he is like a lazy bear, Conyedo can tire him down with the perfect strategy.

the bottom half is more interesting, Saritov is seeded but he has to wrestle Karadeniz in the QF. Karadeniz is one of the wrestlers I like personally, he beat Baran at the world cup, the other favorite in this half. the Suisse guy is not bad too. he is an European medalist but at 92. Theile of GER is no pushover too. but I believe at the end of the day it's between TUR, ROU and POL.

My prediction: :BLR:TUR

125kg:

I can't see anybody beating Magomedov in the top half. dream draw. he is old and not that good but from those guys only the German guy is not that bad. the rest are below average.

bottom half, Sharipov beat Baran in the World Cup final but it was a relatively close match, Baran can beat him even though the Russian is the favorite. the winner of HUN/BLR will meet Sharipov/Baran in the SF. Ligeti is good enough to even beat Sharipov, the BLR guy is new to this weight , he surprised everybody at the World Cup but I don't expect him to go far here. I believe it's between Sharipov, Baran and Ligeti. btw we were supposed to see the great Gatsalov here representing Armenia but they have no entries in this weight!

My prediction: :AZE:RUS