website statistics

Wrestling UWW European Olympic Games Qualifier 2021

Totallympics

Greco now. I didn't really went deep into the draw to check head to head results etc. I promised to write something tonight. I try to be as accurate as I can.

60kg:

Kerem Kamal is the top seed and probably the favorite in the top half. but he has a tough draw. first GEO, then MDA/BLR and later HUN/BUL/NOR in the SF. if we don't count that Romanian guy (and GEO who is a bit new). 6 of them are accomplished wrestlers ! I like Ciobanu's style, I didn't notice him in the original entry list. I pick him but that will be close between all these guys. kind of interesting BUL is trusting the old guy Angelov. he won bronze in Ukraine recently and did good. does his body survive 2 tough matches ?

the bottom half is less "crowded" I think Lizatovic is the favorite to win the 3rd quarter but whoever comes from the last part will be the favorite. I think we will see another AZE/ARM battle in the QF. Gharibyan is the current European Champion so he is pick.

My prediction: :MDA:ARM

67kg:

Thoresen surprised everybody at the Euro, where he won the title. I think his first round match vs Korpasi is the real final for that part of the draw. Korpasi has to cut a lot to make weight, but HUN is the host and refs can do miracles in Greco :p from the rest 6 guys I only see Islamov as a threat .

bottom half is much harder with so many good (but no great) wrestlers. UKR, GEO, TUR, AZE, ARM, ROU they are capable of winning the quota but I want to go with Sahakyan. he has bye in the first round which will help him in the 2nd round too.

My prediction: :NOR:POL

77kg:

well, today is Azerbaijan's lucky day :d Suleymanov has no big opponent in front of him but then this is Greco, one caution and your opponent can collect lots of points in parterre. nothing is guaranteed. I saw Gutu at the world cup , he is talented but still something like 18. can surprise AZE for sure, then Starcevic and Wolny, I think they are all in the same level. in the 2nd quarter I really don't know any of these guys :d I saw the French guy at Ukraine, he probably wins that part.

we were supposed to see Vlasov vs Nemes here. but Russia had a late minute change, it's Chekhirkin now. he has a very tough draw with Eisele and Bolkvadze, if he survives, that's most probably Nemes ! can he survive 3 tough matches in a row without much time to recover? I have hard time to pick between RUS and SRB here. I think it will get into the hands of the refs. I think Cengiz will win the 3rd quarter but lose the SF.

My prediction: :AZE:RUS

87kg:

poor Huklek. what a reward for being the top seed! Shahinyan, then Gobadze/Basar! and then Russia! :facepalm: both Basar and Gobadze won the world title before. it's just hard to pick between those 3 guys but whoever wins will be underdog against Russia. sorry it's impossible to not pick Russia in this sport :p but Alirzaev is new to this weight and his first match against Datunishvili won't be easy at all.

and when AZE had to be in bottom half because of the seedings, all big guys fell in the top half :d just luck? it's just getting hard to believe it.

I know almost all European Greco wrestlers are tough and you can't underestimate anybody but Abbasov couldn't ask for an easier draw. the fact he has a bye in the first round will help him in the 2nd round too. Aleksandrov is probably his only serious obstacle.

My prediction: :RUS:AZE

97kg:

not a lucky draw for Nikoloz Kakh. he has Ukraine and then former European Champion from Norway. (or Belarus) all these 4 guys are good enough to beat each other. and I think in heavier weights we will have so many lucky 1-1 wins. FRA, GER and FIN are also good in the 2nd quarter. I don't know much about the Swedish guy. I really like that Finnish wrestler. I think he will meet our Georgian/Italian friend in the SF.

Azerbaijan is still in the easier half, but this time it's not that easy. Milov (BUL) has an easier first round. I think he will survive the QF as well (which is not easy at all) Lokyaev is a world junior bronze medalist from Russia. I think Milov can handle him.

My prediction: :ITA:BUL

130kg:

do I need to say AZE is in the easier half ? :p I think most matches will finish 1-1 and will be decided by "luck" I think AZE and ROU will wrestle in the SF. but anything can happen. none of these guys are "unbeatable" the Romanian guy won a very surprising gold medal in the last Euro.

Semenov was the one nobody wanted to face. unlike most of super heavy weight guys he can throw and he does it very well.

My prediction: :ROU:RUS

31 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

is france likely to have quotas?

I don't now much about women's wrestling. and no I don't think so in men's freestyle

Greco? maybe. Noumonvi has a chance which is not big but still realistic chance. and your 77kg has a very good chance to wrestle in the semifinal and from there it's just one win. everything is possible in one match specially in Greco

15 hours ago, intoronto said:

If they don't make weight on second day they are disqualified?

checking the rules I was right, they have to attend the second weigh-in and if they fail (to appear or be overweight) they will be disqualified.

unless they have a note from the UWW doctor confirming their injury! in this case they will just lose the remaining matches. but I assume faking an injury and getting that note won't be that hard.

will be a busy weekend for the UWW doctors in the arena :d

only the semifinals will have a good coverage on many tv networks around the Continent (some of them, viewable through their website or on satellite)...:dunno:

p.s. @Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo

sky Italia has the tv rights here in Italy, but there will be only a delayed broadcast @ 9.30 p.m. (all 3 days: today, tomorrow and saturday) on skysport Arena HD...

The schedule of the matches is absurd as always. They started with 97kg 3 hours ago for just 1 match and it will be 4 hours until their second. Meanwhile some of the guys at 65 and 74 will have 3 matches already, even though they started after them. I don't understand, why for the 1/4 they need to follow the weights from smallest and not give everyone the proper resting period. It's not the finals, it's not even a night session...

Wow Umarpashaev with the best performance i have seen from him, probably in his life even. Pinfalls and grand throws, even if he almost lost the plot at the end against Kadzimahamed. He will probably lose to Kentchadze, but nonetheless a much better performance, that i expected from him. 

Biggest surprise, King Vlad losing to Tevanyan :ARM  in the 1/4. The Armenian steamrolled Dubov in the first round and then got an empathic win over Skriabin as well. Most impressive performance from the whole day for me.  

Semifinals (qualification wrestle-off) matches are scheduled for 18:00 local time

let's take a look at what happened today so far

57kg: :BUL Vangelov vs :AZE Bazarganov //// :ARM Harutyunyan vs :UKR Yatsenko

no surprise in this weight, these 4 were expected to be here. impressed by Harutyunyan, he had a tough draw, still has some cardio issues but I think he and Bazarganov qualify at the end. it was a terrible day for Ukraine, Yatsenko is their last chance.

65kg: :AZE Aliyev vs :MDA Sacultan //// :POL Gadzhiev vs :ARM Tevanyan

only a miracle can deny Aliyev an Olympic quota. but the other semifinal will be close. the only surprise here was Khinchegashvili's defeat. but was that really a surprise?! Tevanyan won the world cup in December and proved himself. before the COVID he wrestled in an event in Iran and lost to everybody and after a year he came back someone different!! still he almost lost to Skriabin but somehow turned the table in the last minute. I think he surprised Khincheghasvhili early in the match otherwise the Olympic champion could find a way to beat him. it will be hard to predict his match vs Gadzhiev who wasn't in his best shape today. Gadzhiev was down 4-0 against Bucur and I think scored the winning point only in the last 5 seconds. I think Tevanyan is slightly the favorite here.

74kg: :AZE Gadzhiyev vs :ROU Vasilioglo //// :GEO Kentchadze vs :BUL Umarpashaev

no surprise for the first 3 quarters but wow, what a day for Umarpashaev, he was man of the day (or at least the morning session) with his throwing techniques ! after pinning Salkazanov, he also threw the tricky Russian/Belarusian for 4 at the start of the match and managed to get a 4-4 win. on paper Kentchadze is the favorite but he has to watch out for the Bulgarian, otherwise he will fly too! I remember Khadjiev made him fly at the Worlds in Nur-Sultan so that's not impossible at all. have to mention Demirtas who was very unlucky against BLR. he did all the works but his opponent won 8-7! on the top half the last hope of the host nation Kuramagomedov was leading the entire match against Gadzhiyev but lose the match in the last 3-4 seconds. Vasilioglo isn't completely without the chance against this guy who wasn't impressive at all.

86kg: :BUL Magamev vs :BLR Shabanov //// :TUR Gocen vs :SVK Makoev

apparently Makoev wrestles good once in 4 years! he did nothing special after his silver medal at the worlds in 2017 but then today he woke up a different wrestler! he dominated Aminashvili who just beat my favorite Polish guy! he will face Gocen who somehow beat Abakarov (was lucky to be honest) today morning I would say Gocen but based on what I saw Makoev is the favorite. on the top half I was expecting Magamaev to face Shabanov in the SF but he was much better than what I was expecting, on other hand Shabanov was just lucky to salvage a 1-1 win against Ianulov. I think this will be 50/50

97kg: :ITA Conyedo vs :BLR Hushtyn //// :GER Thiele vs :TUR Karadeniz

Thiele was the only surprise semifinalist for me , but I knew he is tough to score on. he beat Baran and he has a chance in the SF. Karadeniz beat Saritov in the most important match of the morning (for this weight) I have to say Saritov was the better wrestler must of the match but I guess at the end he gassed because of his age. Hushtyn vs Conyedo will be interesting. Hushtyn almost lost his QF match but a very late pushout kept his hopes alive. they are two different types of wrestlers. really hard to predict.

125kg: :AZE Magomedov vs :GER Cudinovic //// :BLR Khramiankov vs :RUS Sharipov

really really impressed by Khramiankou. if you watched his matches, he is half the size of his opponents but beat them by pure technique! I'm not sure if that works against Russia unfortuantely! Sharipov had a very hard time against Baran, I somehow feel sorry for the Polish guy, he deserved the quota much more than Magomedov on the top half and was leading 2-0 Sharipov for a long time but couldn't defend well in the crucial moments.