website statistics

Wrestling UWW European Olympic Games Qualifier 2021

Totallympics

• 1 month later...

Italy are going to Budapest with almost a full squad (despite the chances to qualify somebody are very slim, maybe just Abraham Conyedo in the men's Freestyle -97kg class)...

what's interesting, we are launching at senior level our (very) young hope Simone Piroddu in the men's Freestyle -57kg class, which is very unusual for us...

this is the full list of our wrestlers flying to Hungary next month:

women's wrestling

• Carmen Di Dio (-53kg)
  • Aurora Russo (-57kg)
  • Sara Dacol (-62kg)
  • Dalma Caneva (-68kg)
  • Eleni Pjollaj (-76kg)

men's Freestyle

• Simone Vincenzo Piroddu (-57kg)
  • Simone Iannattoni (-86kg)
  • Abraham Conyedo (-97kg)

men's Greco-Roman

• Jacopo Sandron (-60kg)
  • Ruben Marvice (-67kg)
  • Luca Dariozzi (-77kg)
  • Fabio Parisi (-87kg)
  • Nikoloz Kakhelashvili (-97kg)
  • Luca Godino (-130kg)

3 hours ago, phelps said:

Italy are going to Budapest with almost a full squad (despite the chances to qualify somebody are very slim, maybe just Abraham Conyedo in the men's Freestyle -97kg class)...

what's interesting, we are launching at senior level our (very) young hope Simone Piroddu in the men's Freestyle -57kg class, which is very unusual for us...

I think that it wasn't in the FIJLKAM's plans, they do some trial yesterday morning and you know, surprise can happen.

• 3 weeks later...

entries for the European Qualifier in Hungary

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/european-olympic-games-qualifier-entries

the freestyle competition looks a bit "weak" to me. but it will be a huge task for anybody to qualify in Greco-Roman.

I think Russia will complete its max 12 quotas in men's wrestling here. of course draw and luck will play a big factor. UWW removed the Olympic ranking from its website so I can't say who is going to be seeded.

Only 2 per weight ? Thats a bit harsh, no ?

However, would be fantastic to see Slovak flag in a (COMBAT) sport at the Olympics again, last time was 1 M in Judo in London 2012, but I guess with only the finalists qualifying here will be very hard for Tajmuraz to qualify..

well, what can we do, we live in the wrong continent :d

4 hours ago, Arnoud Beldman said:

Remarkable is dat Mate Nemes (already qualified at 67 kg) is on the entry list of 77 kg. Probably to help his twin brother Viktor gaining a ticket. But I thought already qualified players are excluded from other qualifiers? 

Its a bit strange. I still believe that UWW posted early draft, and that final list will be different.

5 hours ago, Arnoud Beldman said:

Remarkable is dat Mate Nemes (already qualified at 67 kg) is on the entry list of 77 kg. Probably to help his twin brother Viktor gaining a ticket. But I thought already qualified players are excluded from other qualifiers? 

this is just a mistake, he can't qualify in another weight per rules

A few words on our team and chances. I thought before, that we could better our Rio result, where we had 11 quotas, but now i don't see it happening at all. Given that in Rio each weight had on average 20 competitors, while now they are only 16 is a big hit to middle of the road nations like us.. With only the top 2 earning a place, the draws will be monumentally important as always.

I'm much more confident in the women, so i'll start with them and do the men later today. 

50kg - Miglena Selishka - 95% - Our safest bet in a category, where all the best Euro women already have a quota. Demirhan (TUR) strongest from the list.

53kg - Sezen Belberova - 10% - Pretty much no chance with the likes of Orshush (RUS), Kaladzinskaya (BLR), Blaszka (NED), Mattsson (SWE) in the running. 

57kg - Evelina Nikolova - 65% - If she is injury free, there is a chance, if the draw lands in her way. And this will be her only chance, as i'm certain for the World Qualifier they will choose Bilyana Dudova. Tough field with Bullen (NOR), Barka (HUN), Chumikova (RUS) and Gun (TUR).

68kg - Yuliana Yaneva - 50% - Not sure, if this is the final decision, as Mimi Hristova is also vying for this category. 68 is not titular for either one of them, so a lot of weight play is gonna happen. Yaneva won very surprisingly that World Cup in December, so maybe that played a factor in choosing her. Still, there are a lot of big names in contention - Velieva (RUS), Tosun (TUR), Manolova (AZE), Sadchanka (BLR).

76kg - Mariya Oryashkova - 15% - The girl with the biggest heart and desire to go to the Olympics. She is a 6-time World Sambo Champion, but just can't make the transition to wrestling.  She has been doing it for a few years now and i just don't see any progress. Just as i don't see any hope with the likes of Adar (TUR), Vorobeva (RUS), Marzaliuk (BLR), Solheim (NOR) in the draw.