website statistics

Football Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

hckošice

The men's pot allocation are very bizarre :wacko:  and with the rule "no group has more than one team from the same confederation" was more easy put all Europeans in the same pot...... Also the criteria "last 5 OG results" and "bonus for continental champions" don't like.

Nigeria (gold 1996, silver 2008) and Korea (bronze 2012) deserved more than Japan the pot 1 ;)

The pot allocation for the Women's tournament have more sense. 

7 hours ago, EselTheDonkey said:

Our women won't be in a group with China. Since Australia is in our group, China won't be, because Australia is playing for the Asian federation. So it's either Canada or New Zealand from that pot.

Good, so we only have a 50% chance of getting a very difficult group.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

:d 

Even if Germany plays with their best team and a good preparation, other nations like Brazil can play with their best team and a good preparation as well and have a very decent chance as well :d 

We have clearly the best team, if we play with our best team. Brazil and Argentina dont even come close concerning individual quality and we dont even need to use a single player who is not U23.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

14 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

We have clearly the best team, if we play with our best team. Brazil and Argentina dont even come close concerning individual quality and we dont even need to use a single player who is not U23.

What would be your "best team"? Last year Germany U-21 was defeated 5-0 by Portugual in Euro.

I truly believe that Germany will be a strong team, but I can not see the superiority that you said.

Edited by hukbrazil

The main issue is Germany, like all European teams will likely not play with its best team. It is doubtful that any player selected to Euro 2016 will compete at the Olympics.

You know with Euro 2016 and Copa America Century Edition we could see a team from Asia or Africa win gold at the Olympics. Return of Nigeria?

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

Give me right now your list of what you consider your 18 best U23 players, so you don't make your usual excuses later about "we were missing x, y or z" if you lose. Include if you wish the 3 overage players, but realistic picks (not something like "Muller, Gundogan and Boateng", which isn't realistic).

34 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Give me right now your list of what you consider your 18 best U23 players, so you don't make your usual excuses later about "we were missing x, y or z" if you lose. Include if you wish the 3 overage players, but realistic picks (not something like "Muller, Gundogan and Boateng", which isn't realistic).

1) I never make up those excuses, its just my honest opinion. I dont even remember the last time we competed at a big tournament with our best team.

At the mens world cup we missed Gündogan and Reus, at the womens world cup we missed players like Keßler or Kulig. At the u20 world championships last year we missed players like Kimmich or Selke. I think the last time we competed with (almost) our best team was at the mens u17 european championships last year, where we only missed Dadashov and Krol.

2) I never said that we will win if we compete with our best team, we also need a decent preparation (and a better coach, but i have given hope that it will happen).

3) I have no problem to give you the list, but please dont be so aggressive in the future.

4) Why are Müller, Boateng and Götze no realistic picks? Is someone like Messi also an unrealistic pick?

5) I already said that we hopefully will only use U23 players, everything else would be unfair for those players who qualified.

Goal: Horn, Karius 

Defense: Mustafi, Can, Ginter, Tah, Rüdiger, Süle, Weiser, Gerhardt, Toljan, Stark, Klostermann

Midfield: Weigl, Draxler, Kimmich, Goretzka, Meyer, Brandt, Öztunali, Sane, Geis, Arnold, Dahoud, Stendera

Attack: Selke, Werner

Some of the following players could miss the european championships, so we might nominate 3 of them for Rio, although i wouldnt really like it:

L. Bender, Volland, Schürrle, Bellarabi, Leno, Ter Stegen, Trapp, Schweinsteiger, Castro, Kramer, Kruse, Herrmann, Stindl, S. Bender, Fährmann

My team would be:

Horn, Karius

Mustafi, Can, Tah, Rüdiger, Weiser, Gerhardt

Weigl, Kimmich, Goretzka, Draxler, Brandt, Sane, Dahoud, Meyer

Werner, Selke

Edited by OlympicsFan

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

The main issue is Germany, like all European teams will likely not play with its best team. It is doubtful that any player selected to Euro 2016 will compete at the Olympics.

You know with Euro 2016 and Copa America Century Edition we could see a team from Asia or Africa win gold at the Olympics. Return of Nigeria?

True. Its a big advantage for teams from all other continents. There are multiple problems:

1) No german player will play at both big tournaments. Some players probably wont play in Rio, although they didnt play a single minute at the european championships, just because their clubs wont allow it.

2) Some clubs wont allow their players to play in Rio, because they dont have to allow their players to play in Rio.

3) Its already clear that no german club will allow more than 2 of its players to play in Rio. Schalke for example could send at least 4 players to Rio (Sane, Meyer, Goretzka and Geis), but at best 2 of them will really play in Rio.

2 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

3) I have no problem to give you the list, but please dont be so aggressive in the future.

4) Why are Müller, Boateng and Götze no realistic picks? Is someone like Messi also an unrealistic pick?

I will give you the list in about an hour

Sorry If I seemed aggresive.

Yes, Messi is an unrealistic pick. There is no way a club like Barcelona will release their star player for TWO summer tournaments. Much less if one of them isn't in the FIFA calendar. (anyway in his case doesn't matter because the coach already confirmed he won't play the olympics).

3 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Sorry If I seemed aggresive.

Yes, Messi is an unrealistic pick. There is no way a club like Barcelona will release their star player for TWO summer tournaments. Much less if one of them isn't in the FIFA calendar. (anyway in his case doesn't matter because the coach already confirmed he won't play the olympics).

It was just the "give me right now ..." part that "sounded" pretty aggressive to me. I think i know enough about you to say that you are not an aggressive person in general.

I didnt know that Messi wont play for Argentina, very sad news. It would be cool if Neymar/Ibra/Ronaldo would play in Rio, do you know anything about their "plans" for Rio?

Just come back in about an hour, then you can read my list, but i wont only write 18 names. I will write more names and if 18 of them will play in Rio for us, then it will be completely fine for me.