website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing at the Nordic Skiing FIS World Championships 2021

Totallympics

8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

It's not hate towards Lithuania at all (at least that's not how it was meant from my side), it's more of an amazement at the incredible opportunity missed by other countries and Lithuania being the 'image' of that opportunity. With some luck, it might be the exact same thing for Brazil in the men's event.

It's not just the incredible opportunity missed. It is also a dangerous cocktail of pandemic taking toll, plus FIS enforcing shortsighted rules where nations can pick up massive points just for, quite literally, pushing their poles at the start.

Let me tell you, the worst qualification systems are those where nations can get smart*. Ranking-based qualifications tend to be pretty unfair, but this one really goes the distance (if, indeed, it is correct).

*It's not really about being smart. Staying in Oberstdorf for two whole weeks is simply too expensive for most smaller teams, and sending 4+ low-level skiers is even more expensive and a hard sell to sponsors/stakeholders. It's mostly about having funds in this particular case...

#banbestmen

3 hours ago, dcro said:

It's not just the incredible opportunity missed. It is also a dangerous cocktail of pandemic taking toll, plus FIS enforcing shortsighted rules where nations can pick up massive points just for, quite literally, pushing their poles at the start.

Let me tell you, the worst qualification systems are those where nations can get smart*. Ranking-based qualifications tend to be pretty unfair, but this one really goes the distance (if, indeed, it is correct).

*It's not really about being smart. Staying in Oberstdorf for two whole weeks is simply too expensive for most smaller teams, and sending 4+ low-level skiers is even more expensive and a hard sell to sponsors/stakeholders. It's mostly about having funds in this particular case...

Absolutely, although Lithuania is still not the one deserving any blame for that (and at least I didn't read any posts here like anything was directed against them instead of against FIS).

Anyhow, no Thailand, Australia and Armenia at the start tomorrow. Chances for Brazil keep on living.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

One more thought about men’s relay yesterday. It was the longest one (1h52m) since while. Was very interesting to watch, also. Even the results were as expected.

Still great effort for Lapierre and Brazil team nice to see them!

Plan for Today: let Johaug go and make race for silver (we don't need TV coverage of single running Johaug, so don't show her anymore ;) )

STOP THE COUNT

nb87SPH.png

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

How the hell do you get lapped when one lap is 6 km? The equivalent in a track 10k would be to be lapped 5 times after less than 9k. There is no way that someone like that should be allowed to compete at worlds. I am sure you could find hundreds of hobby athletes in Norway or Sweden who would do much better but will never get the chance to compete. „Athletes“ like that are ruining the track for real athletes.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Johaug leads by three minutes... blah...

Obviously Weng has no chance in a sprint for silver... I hope Stadlober doesn't finish 4th but she probably will.

I hope Stadlhuber won’t medal, but since she is Austrian and this is 2021, she probably will. After the doping scandal in Austrian winter sports, they aren’t any less suspicious than the Norwegians.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.