website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing at the Nordic Skiing FIS World Championships 2021

Totallympics

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

There's Lithuania already and, with that, their two Olympic tickets.

Uh...unless I missed something, they never got a basic quota, so this would be only one quota for them.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, dcro said:

The only justice in all of this...

It might be why they’re going for it more than other countries. All the other countries on the bubble already have a guaranteed quota, so it’s only a bonus quota for them. 

Also, I see nothing wrong with Lithuania entering a relay. 

I actually quite like the new qualification system. I do think it could be refined here and here, but overall it seems to be a good qualification system. It’s increased the importance of the World Championships for smaller countries, added a little more tension, and has a fair distribution of quotas that both encourages participation of smaller countries, and still rewards those at the top. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

It might be why they’re going for it more than other countries. All the other countries on the bubble already have a guaranteed quota, so it’s only a bonus quota for them. 

Also, I see nothing wrong with Lithuania entering a relay. 

I actually quite like the new qualification system. I do think it could be refined here and here, but overall it seems to be a good qualification system. It’s increased the importance of the World Championships for smaller countries, added a little more tension, and has a fair distribution of quotas that both encourages participation of smaller countries, and still rewards those at the top. 

Just because it's legal, does not mean it's just. :dunno:

FIS themselves have a system (in snowboard and freestyle skiing), where the last placed individuals/nations (not just the last, something like the bottom 10%) receive heavily reduced points. They should have used the same formula for the nations cup here. Maybe they do, actually.

#banbestmen

4 hours ago, Monzanator said:

I suppose the revival of 5km distances has helped RL Roponen a lot. She's older than Raisa Smetanina when CIS relay won Olympic gold in 1992 :p

And yet she got 10th in the 10k race. Wonderful technician.

#banbestmen

6 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Uh...unless I missed something, they never got a basic quota, so this would be only one quota for them.

Right, yeah :p I was too focussed on top-30 meaning two tickets :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, Bearas said:

Just realised how much hate Lithuania got just for starting at the event... wow.

It's not hate towards Lithuania at all (at least that's not how it was meant from my side), it's more of an amazement at the incredible opportunity missed by other countries and Lithuania being the 'image' of that opportunity. With some luck, it might be the exact same thing for Brazil in the men's event.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!