website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing at the Nordic Skiing FIS World Championships 2021

Totallympics

25 minutes ago, JonPhi said:

Well, Jaque and Bruna will be in direct competition against those they are competing against for a second quota.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

48 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Just to provide my interpretation to some questions I saw about qualification...

@heywoodu Yes, I believe that if Brazil is 30th (or better) in the Nations Ranking, they will get an additional quota place on top of the basic quota earned by Jaque.

I’ve also done some quota math, and if my calculations are correct, and the number of countries earning basic quotas doesn’t increase, this is the situation we’re looking at:

Women - Quotas allocated through D.2 + Rounds 1-3 of D.3 + 10/11 quotas remains for allocation in Round 4 of D.3 (So in theory, 20 countries will have at least 4 skiers in Beijing, meaning 20 countries eligible for relay, and perhaps 30 or more eligible for team sprint)

Men - Quotas allocated through D.2 + Rounds 1-2 of D.3 + a few more through Round 3 of D.3 (So in theory, 10 or a couple more countries will have at least 4 skiers in Beijing, meaning 10 or so countries eligible for relay, and perhaps 30 eligible for team sprint)

In terms of the relay, the clause that lets teams use a biathlete might be rather important on the men’s side.

Keep in mind that Thailand for example will not be able to enter another woman even if they wanted to.

Andorra declining the second quota is a given (they may even decline them both).

#banbestmen

5 minutes ago, dcro said:

Keep in mind that Thailand for example will not be able to enter another woman even if they wanted to.

Andorra declining the second quota is a given (they may even decline them both).

Right, I was just trying to figure out what the allocation of quotas will look like after normal allocation. Reallocation is a whole other thing for now. One of my favorite parts of Olympic qualification is when the FIS publishes the list of quotas, and we get to watch “live” as countries accept/reject quotas and accept/reject reallocations :d

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, dcro said:

Why is that? Because no other Thai competed at the World's?

6 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Doesn't like the entire :THA cross country team consist of two Italian-born siblings?

Btw, :LAT Baiba Bendika will start in the 10km race? No publicity stunt for FIS points only?

Well, they have a Thai surname, so presumably a father.  I am sure Bendika is not a personal stunt, a la Bjoerndalen or Berger, bur definitely an attempt to boost national rankings.

20 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Doesn't like the entire :THA cross country team consist of two Italian-born siblings?

At World Cup level? Yes. 

However, the Thailand Ski Association has been working to establish a grassroots roller ski program similar to that of Brazil. They did send a youth skier to the Winter Youth Olympics last year, and have a couple other youth skiers registered as “active” in the FIS system. However, it doesn’t seem like any roller ski races were held last year (probably do to Covid, and/or them being only interested in the Winter YOG). I don’t know if that program will continue, but the possibility is there. There’s nothing stopping them from trying to get one of those skiers eligible to fill a second quota should they earn one, but it doesn’t seem likely at the moment.

37 minutes ago, intoronto said:

There’s currently no other Thai skiers that meet the basic eligibility requirement (FIS Points under 300).

If I understand correctly, it's ironic that while it seemed like Bruna and Jacqueline Mourao were competing against each other for the Olympic spot, Jacqueline is the main reason Bruna still has a chance? Because she was the only Brazilian to score under 300 FIS Points at the Championships, and participating in the skiathlon and team sprint will give Brazil extra nation ranking points. 

7 hours ago, intoronto said:

Because they have no other athlete.

Previously they had that Klobuczek person, but it appears she no longer competes (not like she would have qualified anyway).

#banbestmen