website statistics

Cross-Country Skiing at the Nordic Skiing FIS World Championships 2021

Totallympics

Training update: falls and near-falls left and right on the impossible downhills today, both from 'small nation' athletes and from - among others - Finnish and Norwegian skiers.

They're so unlucky, two or three weeks earlier and it would have been great, now it's still two days until the first race even starts and the track is just....impossible. It's more a matter of choosing between breaststroke, backstroke or butterfly instead of skating vs classic.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Jaque Mourão, Mika Picin and of course our @brunamoura are the women's representatives. I'd highly suggest taking a look at Mourão's Instagram for a video of the course, where she shows how deep and soft the snow is (and that's not even close to the worst part)! I'm hoping for all of them to have good results, it's the only chance to possibly get Brazil two tickets for the women or at least have a shot at it. They might not at all be the favourite for it, but if they all fight hard and maybe have a bit of luck, it might be possible.

Didn't hear much about it for a little bit now, but a few weeks ago the plan was definitely for Brazil to enter a men's relay, yes! It'd be a rather international one, with the four members all being based in different countries: Victor Santos (Brazil), Matheus Vasconcellos (Austria), Steve Hiestand (Switzerland) and Manex Silva (Spain), with the latter being by far the leader of the team in terms of results, especially this season he's breaking Brazilian records left and right (although the federation sadly didn't really mention that).

As far as I know the women are scheduled to be in the team sprint as well, which would normally be Jaque and Bruna together. I forgot who are supposed to be in the men's team sprint, but I remember saying I'd go for Steve and Manex and hearing that was probably not going to be the team. I guess Victor and Matheus?

Victor and Manex, I would say. But I believe a lot can happens in the first two races so changes are not going to be surprising.

Due to the current ban of our Skiing federation Our National Olympic Committee was appointed by our governement and by FIS to officially send our delegation and to be the official representative institution of our athletes in this competition as well,

so the Slovak NOC announced the roster for the World Championships

:SVK  Team Slovakia  :SVK 

Men

• Ján Koristek (Sprint C, Team Sprint F, 15 km F, 50 km C Mass Start)
  • Andrej Renda (Sprint C, Team Sprint F, 15 km F ?)
  • Jáchym Cenek (Sprint C,15 km F ?)

Women

• Alena Procházková (Sprint C, Team Sprint F, 10 km F, Skiathlon ?)
  • Barbora Klementová (Sprint C, Team Sprint F, 10 km F ?)

Jesus :lol:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 minutes ago, dcro said:

Yeah, some nations may lose their <300 points qualification because of this.

Even more important that Colombia went under 300 at the U23 Champs then. He might end up being one of the luckiest “chasing qualification” skiers.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

25 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Jesus :lol:

Do they not have groomers in Oberstdorf? 

Could they salt the snow as another option, or would it be just as bad to have some harder/iced snow?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Definitely get the feeling there’s some potential for some Solano-esque performances...

24 minutes ago, dcro said:

Yeah, some nations may lose their <300 points qualification because of this.

Or because of fast athletes deciding to compete, who don't have a lot of FIS races/good FIS points and so need to start in the qualifying race...

11 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Do they not have groomers in Oberstdorf? 

Could they salt the snow as another option, or would it be just as bad to have some harder/iced snow?

They definitely have groomers, but after a day with everyone training there, it ain't gonna look good...I hope at least for the races it will be a tiny bit better, but considering it'll stay warm, it might be hard.