website statistics

Men's Volleyball FIVB World Championship 2018

Gianlu33

3 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

I think it'd have been better if we didn't have this 3rd Rd and top of each group just qualify automatically to Semis , at least we wouldn't have those useless matches yesterday

Since they want so many groups and matches, Round 1, then Round 2 with two Groups, 6 teams each Group, and top 2 directly in SF. But even that Round 2 looks a bit pointless...

13 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Since they want so many groups and matches, Round 1, then Round 2 with two Groups, 6 teams each Group, and top 2 directly in SF. But even that Round 2 looks a bit pointless...

I like the format of 2nd Rd at least it forced all teams to play their best at the 1st and prevented any fixed matches , but i think it'd have been enough after 2nd Rd to go to Semis , but yes they want more matches and they wanted to make sure that one of the hosts if even the 2 will continue to the furthest point to assure existence of fans 

3 hours ago, Ophadece said:

Correct me if I am wrong but I heard that it was already planned for heads of the E and F groups to have a rest day in between.. 

I don't recall that plan :wacko: Anyway, this format simply doesn't work, the final six makes no sense, go straight from Top 12 to semis or maybe QFs.

5 hours ago, Ophadece said:

Correct me if I am wrong but I heard that it was already planned for heads of the E and F groups to have a rest day in between.. 

I haven't watched the draw but the FIVB has been using some "tables" lately to determine the order of matches, for groups of 3 teams (like the Nations League Final Six) it's always:

team1 v. team3

team2 v. team3

team1 v. team2

and in this case we already knew that team1=ITA and BRA.

It's similar for groups of 4 teams, as you can notice in the previous round the order of matches is the same for every pool.

2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

I don't recall that plan :wacko: Anyway, this format simply doesn't work, the final six makes no sense, go straight from Top 12 to semis or maybe QFs.

Apart from the many questions about these shenanigans, the whole format of a tournament like this is strange and makes no sense :p

Just have X teams in the tournament, divide them into X groups and let the best X teams per group go on to the knock-out rounds.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

They're just milking the money out of this, volleyball is a very hermetic sport. Do we really need to see Poland vs Serbia rematch within three days? FIVB has lost the plot ages ago. It's equally boring as Italy vs Cuba World League finals in the early 90s :lol: You can make these teams play 12 matches instead of 6-7 and the same teams will always prevail.