website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Quiz Thread

Quasit

It’s official! I’m a dumbass. I’m 90% sure that I was smarter in high school. My mental decline has already begun :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’s official! I’m a dumbass. I’m 90% sure that I was smarter in high school. My mental decline has already begun :p

Well, you were not far off, helium is the second-lightest element at least and I also had to check the atmospheres components again to be sure. Strangely enough, argon as the third-most abundant element sticks with me.  :d

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

I'm in need of some questions for a pub quiz at work Thursday, and unfortunately, "Sports" isn't one of the themes (again) :(

If the themes are "New Year", "Christmas", "Food & Drinks" and "Movies & TV Shows".....how can I come up with some questions that are still at least semi-sports questions, yet won't be kept out of the quiz due to not being related to the themes? :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

18 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I'm in need of some questions for a pub quiz at work Thursday, and unfortunately, "Sports" isn't one of the themes (again) :(

If the themes are "New Year", "Christmas", "Food & Drinks" and "Movies & TV Shows".....how can I come up with some questions that are still at least semi-sports questions, yet won't be kept out of the quiz due to not being related to the themes? :d 

There are, of course, workarounds. :d 

You could for example ask which famous sportsperson was born on 24th December (Anett Kontaveit, Neeraj Chopra), 25th (Louis Chevrolet) or 1st January (Sifan Hassan, Jacky Ickx).

For movies, there's tons of them about sports as you can see here: https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/best-sports-movie-of-all-time/

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

2 hours ago, Quasit said:

There are, of course, workarounds. :d 

You could for example ask which famous sportsperson was born on 24th December (Anett Kontaveit, Neeraj Chopra), 25th (Louis Chevrolet) or 1st January (Sifan Hassan, Jacky Ickx).

For movies, there's tons of them about sports as you can see here: https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/best-sports-movie-of-all-time/

Thanks, I'll try and get some more in! I sent in a few questions not related to sports, like "Why is Christmas generally celebrated on the 25th of December?" and "Which is NOT a name of Santa Claus?" (with his Frisian, Portuguese and Finnish names and the correct answer being the name of some dude from Estonian mythology which I once came across while watching a World Cup in Otepää :p )

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

33 minutes ago, Dolby said:

A) Jesus was born on this day B) Saturnalia C) Sol Invictus festival D) Winter Solstice

A and B were answers I had listed as well (although instead of using the word Saturnalia, I described it more as "B) The church wanted to  piggyback on a Roman festival" or something similar) :p 

Spoiler

The Saturnalia thing of course being the correct one. Jesus' birth is celebrated by some people (although probably a majority of people who celebrate Christmas - definitely including myself - see it more as a nice time to enjoy with loved ones and such and don't actually think about a baby being born thousands of years ago), but the actual date is mentioned in the Bible....nowhere. At all. In fact, Jesus having been born in April/May is significantly more realistic, judging by certain things that actually are written in the Bible :) 

I hope my Christian employer accepts the question though :lol: