website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Quiz Thread

Quasit

4 minutes ago, Wumo said:

I think even if I spend hundreds or thosound of minutes on this question I would never be able to come with a solid guess. I have no idea. Not even the slightest. 

Quasit, I came here with zero points. I'm really happy to get to this point in the quiz, but I will stop and keep the points I have for now. 

Another 250,000 Points it is then right after toulousain last time. Congratulations and I hope you enjoyed. :thumbup:

TOTAL WINNINGS

♦           P t s .  2 5 0 , 0 0 0         

And I'll let @toulousain do the honours and reveal the answer as I think he would know. ;)

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

And that would have been the right answer. It can also be the window right above the door.

Pts. 500,000

A loanword for what developed in 18th century France

from when German visitors asked them "Was ist das?" - "What is that?"

A: Transom windows   B: Spiral staircases    
  C: Dumbwaiters   D: Gas heating

The French name for a transom window is 'vasistas' which derives from the  German phrase 'Was ist das?', literally meaning 'what is that?'. Coined by  German soldiers during WWII, asking the French

Thank you for the explanation @toulousain :). As you wrote, this question would have suited you very well as a 500,000 points-question.

It has been a real pleasure participating in this, @Quasit. Thank you so much for taking your time to organise this. It's a really fun activity and good questions by you and @OlympicIRL:).

I will definitely give it a second run at some point and see if I can improve my result.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Quasit said:

Does anyone like a game tomorrow?

If no one new asks to go, I’d like to take a second try at it, if allowed.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

If no one new asks to go, I’d like to take a second try at it, if allowed.

To be honest, for now I'd prefer as many first runs as possible before having a return, so we'll have to wait for that a bit. ;) 

4 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

If no new contestant enters, can I have another try?

I was hoping for more than 7 runs before having the first return but I'll consider you an Olympian again in March.