website statistics

Your Country's 2020 Sportsman/Sportswoman of the year???

rafalgorka

nobody! there were almost no major international competition for our notable athletes this year.

but if someone puts a gun on my head and forces me to pick a name, I would give it to Sardar Azmoun, he was the topscorer in the Russian League this year. I know this is nothing but I can't remember any kind of achievement this year. everything was cancelled.

PS: there is no official award here since some years, :( but even if it was, that should be based on our own calendar, not 2020. a year here starts and finishes in March. so even those few sport events before the COVID shouldn't be counted, they were all before March 2020.

As for most of other users, very hard to pick an outstanding performance in a year that saw most major sporting events cancelled.

Still the outstanding Mexican athletes of the year, in no particular order, would be:

• Jessica Salazar, track cycling
  • Renata Zarazúa, tennis
  • Carlos Ortiz, golf
  • Sergio Pérez, car racing

obviously no official award should be given this year, as most events have been cancelled or contested in unusual (when not unfair) conditions...

by the way, my very personal awards (limited to the few sports that at least had some serious competitions) for Italy are a no brainer...

Man of the Year: Filippo Ganna (Track & Road Cycling)

Woman of the Year: Dorothea Wierer (Biathlon)

Male Rising Star of the Year: Jannik Sinner (Tennis)

Female Rising Star of the Year: Benedetta Pilato (Swimming)

It's so dependent on how many (important) events in each sport actually happened this year. As a result it feels like cycling just got the most opportunity to shine this year. There has been other sports, but often the events were far more limited in attendance and attention (athletics and swimming for example).

Sportsman: Mathieu van der Poel

Sportswoman: Anna van der Breggen

Talent: Femke Bol

Team: ??? (probably a rowing team after that successful European championship)

Surely my follow Dutchmen will have some more original picks.

16 hours ago, Jinzha said:

It's so dependent on how many (important) events in each sport actually happened this year. As a result it feels like cycling just got the most opportunity to shine this year. There has been other sports, but often the events were far more limited in attendance and attention (athletics and swimming for example).

Sportsman: Mathieu van der Poel

Sportswoman: Anna van der Breggen

Talent: Femke Bol

Team: ??? (probably a rowing team after that successful European championship)

Surely my follow Dutchmen will have some more original picks.

Team: track cycling sprint (Lavreysen/Hoogland/van den Berg/Büchli). I agree with your other choices, although speedskater Jutta Leerdam deserves as well to be sportswoman of the year.

Sportsman: Dominik Szoboszlai, football - huge year for him at Salzburg, signed for Leipzig, scored the winning goal against Iceland

Sportswoman: Tímea Babos, tennis - won the Australian Open and the French Open in Women's doubles with Mladenovic

Team: Hungarian national football team - qualified for EURO 2020, promotion to the highest division in Nations League

Honorable mention to the Hungarian women's table tennis team, they qualified for Tokyo 2020 without any Chinese players. Also, another HM to Ferencváros who qualified for the football Champions League Group Stage.