website statistics

Wrestling 2021 Discussion Thread

MHSN

3 hours ago, thepharoah said:

We have a tradition in Egypt that whoever wins the quota goes to Olympics, so I guess Diaaeldin Gouda will go not Hemeida

not sure if you are aware but Egypt NOC asked IOC's special permission to let Hemeida wrestle for Egypt. (before his 3 years inactivity period ) I don't think they did that for nothing. but I understand he did nothing special yesterday (beside making Iranian fans happy) and they probably send the original guy.

this is the same in Iran in most sports. sending the guy who won the quota. but wrestling is a different story. you can make a comedic movie from our wrestling trial process :d

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

not sure if you are aware but Egypt NOC asked IOC's special permission to let Hemeida wrestle for Egypt. (before his 3 years inactivity period ) I don't think they did that for nothing. but I understand he did nothing special yesterday (beside making Iranian fans happy) and they probably send the original guy.

this is the same in Iran in most sports. sending the guy who won the quota. but wrestling is a different story. you can make a comedic movie from our wrestling trial process :d

This's the 1st time I hear about this I don't even know about this inactivity rule Hamdy does this mean he stayed for 3 years without any wrestling?, well i don't know about the trial process but I guess when u have this amount of strong wrestlers it'd be so hard to choose among 

1 minute ago, thepharoah said:

This's the 1st time I hear about this I don't even know about this inactivity rule Hamdy does this mean he stayed for 3 years without any wrestling?, well i don't know about the trial process but I guess when u have this amount of strong wrestlers it'd be so hard to choose among 

not without wrestling but it has to be 3 years time between your last official competition (World and Continental Championships) before you are allowed to wrestle for another country in the Olympics. Hemida is a 2018 world U23 silver medalist for USA. normally he wouldn't be able to wrestle at the Olympics (since he wrestled for USA in November 2018) but IOC gave him special permission.

Men's freestyle is the most important team for Iran in the Olympics and this is not going to change anytime soon. even if sometimes we win better medals in other sports (or Greco-Roman wrestling) but freestyle is always #1. so picking our freestyle team usually creates controversy. we even had street protests over the team selection last time ! :yikes:

we were supposed to complete our lineup in Poland but some sources claimed the coaches weren't satisfied with what happened in 74kg (thanks to Chamizo's withdrawal) but it seems there is no plan for an extra trials. in that case our Olympic team is already determined :

57: Reza Atri

65: Morteza Ghiasi

74: Mostafa Hosseinkhani

86: Hassan Yazdani

97: Mohammad Hossein Mohammadian

125: Amir Hossein Zare

in two weights another guy won the quota but lost the trials.

personally I'm satisfied with 86, 97 and 125. the best guy is going. in two weights my favorite (I mean the best guy in my opinion) lost the trials. and 74kg was 50/50 IMO. so I'm neither happy or upset about it.

we have a very good chance for 3 medals in 3 higher weights, on other hand we are very weak in 57,  65 and 74.  this is probably the first time we have such a team. some very good + some below average wrestlers ! nobody in the middle.

Olympic seeding in Greco-Roman after the first day of Polish Open GR competition.

67kg:

1. :CUB Borrero

2. :EGY El Sayed

3. :RUS Surkov

4. :SRB Nemes

77kg:

1. :HUN Loincz

2. :SWE Bjurberg

3. :ARM Chalyan

4. :IRI Geraei

130kg:

1. :TUR Kayaalp

2. :EGY Mohamed

3. :UZB Abdullaev

4. :EST Nabi

• 2 weeks later...

The great Abdulrashid Sadulaev picked up the 3rd defeat of his career today in Aliev tournament in Russia. but before people get too much excited I have to say that was a walkover defeat :p he reached the final but didn't wrestle Magomed Ibragimov (Russian-Uzbek) in the final. Russian coaches claim because of a small injury

obviously the Russian tank is NOT in his best days. he struggled in that tournament against wrestlers he usually eats for the breakfast. he lost to Kyle Snyder in 2017 World Final mostly because he was too small for this weight at the time. yesterday I saw him "beatable" for the first time since 2017.  at the moment his gold in Tokyo is not a sure thing anymore.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

:GRE 21 yo Georgios Pilidis, who competed this year at the Olympics and won gold at the World U23 Championships, will be taking a break to compete in the Greek reality show "Survivor."

His reasons for this are probably economic, as one of our female sprinters/hurdlers Katerina Dalaka became very famous from competing on Survivor and attracted a lot of sponsors and is now a "social media influencer" and also is competing again despite taking a long break (she was on the show for two seasons because she was runner-up in 2018 and went back in 2019 because she wanted to first place, and she did win). She also won big prize money for winning the show.

So this is a new trend I guess for athletes to get economic support. I don't watch the show, but I'd imagine Dalaka did so well because she was already in very good physical shape unlike some other contestants who are just regular people and maybe workout a lot but are not professional athletes.

However Pilidis is definitely much bigger than Dalaka in his sport, as he has won many medals at important competitions and is definitely an Olympic medal hope for 2024. Dalaka was already 25 or 26 when she first went to Survivor, and competed in the European Championships just once. She sometimes wins medals at the Greek and Balkan Championships but she's not really a top athlete like Pilidis is.