Wrestling 2021 Discussion Thread

MHSN

17 hours ago, MHSN said:

86kg:

1. :IRI Yazdani - 60

2. :IND Deepak - 54

3. :SMR Amine - 50

4. :RUS Naifonov - 47

* Deepak Punia was registered today and even participated in the weighin but all of a sudden withdrew before his match. guess what ? with just one win he could add 8 more points to his tally to become #1 in Tokyo but he didn't want that :d now he can avoid both Iran and Russia before the final. the bottom half is already weaker in this weight. and there is a 50% chance that the other favorite David Taylor falls in the top half means we will have a lucky silver medalist at least.

Is this Amine guy just high in the rankings because of 'easy points' (if such a thing exists in wrestling), or does San Marino actually have a chance there? :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Is this Amine guy just high in the rankings because of 'easy points' (if such a thing exists in wrestling), or does San Marino actually have a chance there? :yikes: 

he collected good points because ranking system is terrible. he is surely not that good to be ranked 3. lots of wrestlers in Iran, Russia and USA will beat him easily but since they can send just 1 wrestler to Tokyo, yes he has a chance for medal.

the thing is 3 wrestlers will eat the rest alive in this weight. Yazdani (IRN), Naifonov (RUS) and Taylor (USA) I highly doubt anybody touches them in Tokyo. thanks to this ranking system. Yazdani and Naifonov will be in the same side. and there is a 50% chance for Taylor to fall in the same side as well. after these 3 guys everybody has a chance for medal. (bronze or maybe even silver) I believe Amine, Shabanov, Gocen and Makoev are better than the rest. Amine has a better chance because he is guaranteed not facing Yazdani and Naifonov before the final.

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

he's high in the rankings because he was 5th at the last World Champs, he won the silver medal at the last European Games, he has a silver and a bronze medal at the European champs and he did perform well in the ranking series tournaments...

he's definitely not one of the top 4 guys in the class on paper, but he's quite good in any case...for sure, he's not anymore a one-hit wonder...

Thanks to both :d 

I just now saw his Wikipedia page...he's representing San Marino because his mother's grandfather (!) was a citizen. I wonder if I could represent Switzerland because some great-uncle 15 generations back might have spent a night there that one time :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Thanks to both :d 

I just now saw his Wikipedia page...he's representing San Marino because his mother's grandfather (!) was a citizen. I wonder if I could represent Switzerland because some great-uncle 15 generations back might have spent a night there that one time :p 

no, for sure because Switzerland has really different laws about citizenship...

actually, they have some of the most demanding laws to get their citizenship (including an examination on historical, geographical, political, social, economical and cultural themes)...:yikes:

4 minutes ago, phelps said:

(including an examination on historical, geographical, political, social, economical and cultural themes)...

That actually sounds pretty cool (at least theoretically), it shows that one really needs to put in quite some effort and learning (and I assume also language) before being allowed to get citizenship. I wonder how much Amine knows about San Marino :p 

3 minutes ago, phelps said:

no, for sure because Switzerland has really different laws about citizenship...

actually, they have some of the most demanding laws to get their citizenship (including an examination on historical, geographical, political, social, economical and cultural themes)...:yikes:

Yet their Euro football team has 20 foreigners out of 26 :d

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

That's actually pretty cool (at least theoretically), it shows that one really needs to put in quite some effort and learning (and I assume also language) before being allowed to get citizenship. I wonder how much Amine knows about San Marino :p 

well, I agree, but I think they're a bit too demanding...I read some examples of those question and they're about very particular and not so famous sites and episodes even among the Swiss people...

obviously there's also a language examination...and that's absolutely fine to me...I'd like Italy to require that, too...but our politicians have different opinions...:nopompom:

4 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Yet their Euro football team has 20 foreigners out of 26 :d

they might have foreign origins, but they are all born and raised in SUI or either they are sons of Swiss citizens (who have passed those examinations, therefore)...

so, nothing wrong with that...

@phelps Chamizo didn't show up in the final. any reason ? just tired ?

he just ruined our trials. :thumbdown: boooooo :p

we were supposed to "watch" Hosseinkhani against one of the favorites in this weight. I don't know if winning gold that way is enough. he beat the guy who beat our other wrestler Emami though but that wasn't convincing.