website statistics

Weightlifting 2021 Discussion Thread

MHSN

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

yes I did and this is the post

since that day the TPE guy is also got disqualified and he is out too.

first let me explain that Aramanau didn't really participated at +109kg. to qualify for the Olympics you have to participate in 6 events but 4 of them will be counted, so most weightlifters had two "DNS" . means they just participated in the weigh-in and then withdrew. they usually do that in the upper weight to not cut weight. that's why you see Aramanu or Yang Zhe in the ranking. they never really participated at the +109kg.

both Belarus and Armenia have just 1 quota to use. Armenia has Simon Martirosyan who is the clear gold medal favorite at 109kg. so unless he gets injured they will never send anybody else. same goes to Belarus. Ziaziulin has a chance for medal but Aramanau has a chance to challenge Martirostan for gold and his silver is almost secured. if I was Belarus I would send Aramnau for sure, again unless he gets injured. after all he is not young.

removing Armenia and Belarus leaves Fernando Reis Saraiva as the 3rd best result among the remaining athletes. you can go here and sort the athletes by their "best total" I believe it will be between Brazil, Algeria, Turkmenistan and Syria .

https://www.iwf.net/qualif/menu/

and Davoudi chokes sometimes, of course winning silver should be very easy for him. he just lifted 451 in total in a local competition couple weeks ago. almost everybody here thinks he will win the silver in Tokyo (no more, no less) Iran is also limited to two male weightlifters, and Davoudi (barring injuries) will get one of those 2. not because he is great, but because our coaches also did all these calculations themselves :d even though "officially" we still have 4 weightlifters in race for Tokyo and Davoudi is just one of them.

if we remove ineligible weightlifters, here is the best official result (by official I mean results in IWF sanctioned international competitions) of remaining weightlifters in past 2.5 years.

484 :GEO Talakhadze

441 :IRI Davoudi

436 :BRA Reis

431 :ALG Bidani

430 :SYR Asaad

427 :TKM Toychyyev

427 :EST Seim

418 :CZE Kucera

Thank you! :bowdown: Once again, a very detailed post! :thumbup:

I'm trying to be as rational as possible about Fernando's chance of winning a medal. Weightlifting and Wrestling are the two sports I never expected anyone in Brazil to be able to actually get a medal at the World Championships or Olympics, but here we are in 2021 and Brazil has one medal at the WC in each of these sports. :d This is insane to me. If you told me 10 years ago that I'd be here predicting a medal for a Brazilian lifter, I'd laugh hard, but here we are.

Thanks again for the update. I'll keep my focus more often on this sport now. It's exciting despite the many, many cheaters.

41 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Thank you! :bowdown: Once again, a very detailed post! :thumbup:

I'm trying to be as rational as possible about Fernando's chance of winning a medal. Weightlifting and Wrestling are the two sports I never expected anyone in Brazil to be able to actually get a medal at the World Championships or Olympics, but here we are in 2021 and Brazil has one medal at the WC in each of these sports. :d This is insane to me. If you told me 10 years ago that I'd be here predicting a medal for a Brazilian lifter, I'd laugh hard, but here we are.

Thanks again for the update. I'll keep my focus more often on this sport now. It's exciting despite the many, many cheaters.

you are welcome

I think it's very simple, he has a very good chance if he repeats his old results and Martirosyan and Aramnau don't get injured :d those 3 other guys are not young, they are not going to lift more than their PBs in Tokyo

kind of funny, usually you will have more medal chance if someone else gets injured.

speaking of Talakhadze, he just lifted 223 in Snatch and 265 in CJ in training. :d (his videos are all over the net if someone googles his name and those numbers) he is getting closer and closer to that 500kg total which was supposed to be impossible for any human being. :d

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, vovanA said:

Armenian media report that twotime world champion Simon Martirosyan hit a man while driving a car and killed him. He might be sent to jail for five years

Damn (both for the man's family and for Martirosyan). At least according to this site Martirosyan was sober, the man crossed the road in a wrong place and Martirosyan immediately stopped, called an ambulance and helped out as much as possible. I don't know Armenian laws, but if all that is true, I really hope he won't face prison...one can assume his own psychological life is fucked up as well now, with images of what happened for sure haunting him for many years to come...

I guess the main question is if he was speeding or something like that?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Startlist for the Pan American Champs

https://www.iwf.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2021/04/Calendario-Panam-2020.pdf

very interesting to see :BRA Fernando Reis at 109kg! he was more than 150kg in all of his competitions, how come he can humanly cut more than 40 kg :d

surely a mistake , I don't know by who. bur if they don't fix it, (not sure if that's even possible to change the startlist) that may even cost him the Olympics. :( (he still can participate in the last event in Colombia but the registration deadline was long time ago)

On 19/04/2021 at 17:29, MHSN said:

Startlist for the Pan American Champs

https://www.iwf.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2021/04/Calendario-Panam-2020.pdf

very interesting to see :BRA Fernando Reis at 109kg! he was more than 150kg in all of his competitions, how come he can humanly cut more than 40 kg :d

surely a mistake , I don't know by who. bur if they don't fix it, (not sure if that's even possible to change the startlist) that may even cost him the Olympics. :( (he still can participate in the last event in Colombia but the registration deadline was long time ago)

Well, add Brazil to the list of countries which have useless managers at the weightlifting federation. They don't even have a Twitter account. I had to send the question directly to the account linked to the ministry of sports. Crazy. Anyway, thank you for making me aware of that.