website statistics

Weightlifting 2021 Discussion Thread

MHSN

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

85 is not that old, you can become President of the US at that age!

We’ve never had a President who held office in their 80s, though Biden would be the first since he was 78 at inauguration.

Many IFs have a maximum age limit for those who can hold positions.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 1 month later...

Former :CUB Oscar Reyes (men's -81kg, PB of 370kg in total, 165kg in snatch and 205 in C&J) earlier today became a new Italian citizen and he's now going to represent :ITA Italy in the next international competitions (I don't know if his results from the last 3 years, when he was already living and training in Italy, but of course not competing for our NOC, would eventually allow him to be selected for our Olympic team)...:mumble:

• 2 weeks later...

@thiago_simoes I remember you were interested in Rustam Djanbaev's case something like 1.5 years ago

so after so long IWF finally disqualified his results from 2018 World Championships and Fernando Reis Saraiva is now upgraded to the bronze medal position. which is (I believe) Brazil's first ever World Senior Championship medal.

https://www.iwf.net/new_bw/athletes_newbw/?athlete=saraiva-reis-fernando-1990-03-10&id=3356

they also disqualified Christina Iovu from Romania, her bronze medal goes to Chinshanlo (KAZ) who was a doper herself!

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

@thiago_simoes I remember you were interested in Rustam Djanbaev's case something like 1.5 years ago

so after so long IWF finally disqualified his results from 2018 World Championships and Fernando Reis Saraiva is now upgraded to the bronze medal position. which is (I believe) Brazil's first ever World Senior Championship medal.

https://www.iwf.net/new_bw/athletes_newbw/?athlete=saraiva-reis-fernando-1990-03-10&id=3356

they also disqualified Christina Iovu from Romania, her bronze medal goes to Chinshanlo (KAZ) who was a doper herself!

Yes!! Thank you for mentioning me. I've been waiting for this news for a long time! Amazing news! 

Shocking Alert!

At an unofficial national team competition, our 16 year old talent Karlos Nasar went over :CHN Lü Xiaojun  81kg World Record in the C&J with 210 kg (WR is 207) :yikes: :yikes:  Only last week, he had an already equaled 207 throw.  You can watch both throws bellow:

https://www.facebook.com/sportal.bg/videos/257795972687399/?t=27

https://www.facebook.com/100041716330348/videos/523311725736034/?t=22

Spoiler

PS. Waiting for the WADA ban in the following years, because you know, history... :coffee:

@MHSN I remember you posted a very detailed comment about how either Brazil, Algeria, Syria or Turkmenistan could possibly earn an Olympic medal for the first time, but I can't find it anywhere. Furthermore, this is a rough sport to follow because there are so many cheaters and disqualifications. However, let's see if I got some facts straight.

If this ranking is up to date, this means that Fernando's biggest competition are Talakhadze (of course, since he's almost guaranteed to win gold), Davoudi and Minasyan, right? All of them, along with Ziaziulin, seemed to be very impressive to me in the last two World Championshis, especially Ziaziulin and Davoudi, for being junior athletes at the time. But since Armenia and Belarus can only take one lifter per gender, should I assume Minasyan and Ziaziulin will not be picked by them?

If this is the case, then Toychyyev and Bidani are Fernando's biggest competitions for the bronze medal, right? Man Asaad should be a huge threat too, and I believe he will be awarded at least a tripartite invitation. I remember watching them at the World Championships and being impressed too. But all of them seem to be "beatable", at least in theory, unlike Talakhadze and Minasyan, and to some extent Ziaziulin and Davoudi, who both appear to be better than Fernando now. But if two of them -- Minasyan and Ziaziulin -- are out of the picture, then Fernando has a shot at a medal, right? The question is: will they be chosen by their federations?

Are there any other contenders?

Side note: I'm surprised to see Aramnau competing in this category. Didn't he compete in a lower weight class for, like, centuries? Why moving up to +109 kg now, especially with Ziaziulin and Belarus being able to send only one male lifter to the Olympics?

9 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

@MHSN I remember you posted a very detailed comment about how either Brazil, Algeria, Syria or Turkmenistan could possibly earn an Olympic medal for the first time, but I can't find it anywhere. Furthermore, this is a rough sport to follow because there are so many cheaters and disqualifications. However, let's see if I got some facts straight.

If this ranking is up to date, this means that Fernando's biggest competition are Talakhadze (of course, since he's almost guaranteed to win gold), Davoudi and Minasyan, right? All of them, along with Ziaziulin, seemed to be very impressive to me in the last two World Championshis, especially Ziaziulin and Davoudi, for being junior athletes at the time. But since Armenia and Belarus can only take one lifter per gender, should I assume Minasyan and Ziaziulin will not be picked by them?

If this is the case, then Toychyyev and Bidani are Fernando's biggest competitions for the bronze medal, right? Man Asaad should be a huge threat too, and I believe he will be awarded at least a tripartite invitation. I remember watching them at the World Championships and being impressed too. But all of them seem to be "beatable", at least in theory, unlike Talakhadze and Minasyan, and to some extent Ziaziulin and Davoudi, who both appear to be better than Fernando now. But if two of them -- Minasyan and Ziaziulin -- are out of the picture, then Fernando has a shot at a medal, right? The question is: will they be chosen by their federations?

Are there any other contenders?

Side note: I'm surprised to see Aramnau competing in this category. Didn't he compete in a lower weight class for, like, centuries? Why moving up to +109 kg now, especially with Ziaziulin and Belarus being able to send only one male lifter to the Olympics?

yes I did and this is the post

since that day the TPE guy is also got disqualified and he is out too.

first let me explain that Aramanau didn't really participated at +109kg. to qualify for the Olympics you have to participate in 6 events but 4 of them will be counted, so most weightlifters had two "DNS" . means they just participated in the weigh-in and then withdrew. they usually do that in the upper weight to not cut weight. that's why you see Aramanu or Yang Zhe in the ranking. they never really participated at the +109kg.

both Belarus and Armenia have just 1 quota to use. Armenia has Simon Martirosyan who is the clear gold medal favorite at 109kg. so unless he gets injured they will never send anybody else. same goes to Belarus. Ziaziulin has a chance for medal but Aramanau has a chance to challenge Martirostan for gold and his silver is almost secured. if I was Belarus I would send Aramnau for sure, again unless he gets injured. after all he is not young.

removing Armenia and Belarus leaves Fernando Reis Saraiva as the 3rd best result among the remaining athletes. you can go here and sort the athletes by their "best total" I believe it will be between Brazil, Algeria, Turkmenistan and Syria .

https://www.iwf.net/qualif/menu/

and Davoudi chokes sometimes, of course winning silver should be very easy for him. he just lifted 451 in total in a local competition couple weeks ago. almost everybody here thinks he will win the silver in Tokyo (no more, no less) Iran is also limited to two male weightlifters, and Davoudi (barring injuries) will get one of those 2. not because he is great, but because our coaches also did all these calculations themselves :d even though "officially" we still have 4 weightlifters in race for Tokyo and Davoudi is just one of them.

if we remove ineligible weightlifters, here is the best official result (by official I mean results in IWF sanctioned international competitions) of remaining weightlifters in past 2.5 years.

484 :GEO Talakhadze

441 :IRI Davoudi

436 :BRA Reis

431 :ALG Bidani

430 :SYR Asaad

427 :TKM Toychyyev

427 :EST Seim

418 :CZE Kucera