website statistics

Volleyball 2021 Discussion Thread

VolleyRuller96

5 hours ago, thepharoah said:

Rwanda was disqualified by CAVB after participating 4 ineligible Brazilian players in women's African volleyball championship , the day after the decision Rwandan authorities upheld the tournament due to Corona virus :d 

You have a link? It seems interessing :p

1 hour ago, Gianlu33 said:

You have a link? It seems interessing :p

The tournament is suspended right now, it's still unknown what will be it's fate, but u can follow latest news from CAVB facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/CAVBVolleyball/

Surprisingly enough, :COL won vs :ARG at the women's South American championship. Something tells me if we had a challenge system in this tournament, it could have changed the outcome of this match...

Anyway, Argentina should easily defeat Chile tomorrow (most likely 3-0) which will give them the runner-up spot for the World Championship. In this scenario, Colombia would have to win the match vs Brazil to qualify - if they hadn't lost the match against Peru, their life would be much easier now.

9 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Surprisingly enough, :COL won vs :ARG at the women's South American championship. Something tells me if we had a challenge system in this tournament, it could have changed the outcome of this match...

Anyway, Argentina should easily defeat Chile tomorrow (most likely 3-0) which will give them the runner-up spot for the World Championship. In this scenario, Colombia would have to win the match vs Brazil to qualify - if they hadn't lost the match against Peru, their life would be much easier now.

It's not really surprising, we're missing 3 starters in the roster. And the team sucks anyway so they can lose to Colombia in any bad day even with the best players available. The real surprise was Colombia losing to awful Peru.

Colombia will qualify through ranking, tomorrow's result doesn't matter to them except for getting a better medal. 

Argentina will also qualify through ranking (if it comes to that) as long as they don't lose to Chile, which would be ridiculous.

29 minutes ago, LDOG said:

It's not really surprising, we're missing 3 starters in the roster. And the team sucks anyway so they can lose to Colombia in any bad day even with the best players available. The real surprise was Colombia losing to awful Peru.

Argentina was leading comfortably in third and fourth sets, so in that way it was a little surprising how they just gave the match to Colombia. Chile is by far the worst team, so Argentina will qualify directly tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Argentina was leading comfortably in third and fourth sets, so in that way it was a little surprising how they just gave the match to Colombia. Chile is by far the worst team, so Argentina will qualify directly tomorrow.

Yes, it was embarassing to watch our players spike ball after ball to nowhere but it is what it is. Our Opposite and Outside Hitters are simply terrible players. It's a pity because the setter and blockers are good but they can't do so much to win without attack and good passing from the others. 

Even our coach admits in every interview that the team can't hope to beat anyone at big competitions and criticizes the players for having poor fundamentals from youth categories :lol: Poor man never coached women's vball before this job, he just took it because they don't want to pay decent money to anyone prestigious to coach a hopeless team.

The asian men‘s bronze medal match will decide the last quota to WCH by ranking. The quota competition is between China and Ukraine. After watching the ACH I think the current world ranking system is quite controversial. The 5th team gained a lot of points through winning two consecutive 5-8 ranking matches while the 4th team will lose many points by losing 2 consecutive matches after reaching semifinals. To be clear I think Qatar received many undeserved points and qualified to WCH as 5th but 4th will not qualify for sure.

Also the system made Australia lost many points by attending VNL while China escaped from losing points by withdrawal. I have to admit we also sometimes benefit from this controversial system.

18 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

The asian men‘s bronze medal match will decide the last quota to WCH by ranking. The quota competition is between China and Ukraine. After watching the ACH I think the current world ranking system is quite controversial. The 5th team gained a lot of points through winning two consecutive 5-8 ranking matches while the 4th team will lose many points by losing 2 consecutive matches after reaching semifinals. To be clear I think Qatar received many undeserved points and qualified to WCH as 5th but 4th will not qualify for sure.

Also the system made Australia lost many points by attending VNL while China escaped from losing points by withdrawal. I have to admit we also sometimes benefit from this controversial system.

Taipeh has a chance as well, if they win 3-0 I think they will qualify. Not a realistic scenario. 

but I agree that the world ranking is controversial. Especially considering the fact that the continental championship differ so much. 

1 hour ago, Vic Liu said:

Qatar could beat Taiwan if they were to play. Same Australia. Well, they weren't given the opportunity to play against them and prove it (or disprove it).

Korea attended this competition with a B team so that was a bit lucky for them.

Of course, this is completely circumstantial and does not invalidate your criticism against the ranking system. Just wanted to point out that maybe, by chance, we'll have the stronger teams qualifying at the end.