website statistics

Tennis 2021 Discussion Thread

rybak

I don't know if anyone has already posted it but I have just found out a survey from Miami University about the new Davis Cup

https://miamioh.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5i3hO7BbLSExpYO?Q_CHL=social&Q_SocialSource=twitter

If you want to express your opinion about the new format this can be your chance!

WTA has announced the suspension of all tournaments in Hong Kong and China.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

PR stunt move in the off-season. Due to COVID restrictions there are no tournaments scheduled in China for 2022 anyway. Also worth noticing that Hong Kong is truly lost for the Western world.

Get ready for indoor tournaments in Ostrava then! I wonder how long until people start bitching about Eastern Europe profiting from this?

Btw, how much this decision will affect the other Chinese players? The ITF Asian swing was wrecked by COVID already so several of these Chinese players had to come to Europe to play. That could be severly affected going forward. ATP won't give a damn since there are 0 relevant Chinese male players overall.

5 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

PR stunt move in the off-season. Due to COVID restrictions there are no tournaments scheduled in China for 2022 anyway. Also worth noticing that Hong Kong is truly lost for the Western world.

Get ready for indoor tournaments in Ostrava then! I wonder how long until people start bitching about Eastern Europe profiting from this?

Btw, how much this decision will affect the other Chinese players? The ITF Asian swing was wrecked by COVID already so several of these Chinese players had to come to Europe to play. That could be severly affected going forward. ATP won't give a damn since there are 0 relevant Chinese male players overall.

I imagine we won’t see a Chinese professional tennis player again for a long time. 

I am sure Taiwan would be a suitable host for a major tournament. 

Just now, Orangehair43 said:

I imagine we won’t see a Chinese professional tennis player again for a long time. 

I am sure Taiwan would be a suitable host for a major tournament. 

WTA won't touch Taiwan with a wooden stick after this move. And yeah, the Chinese player market could completely collapse from now on. I suppose WTA thinks it was worth the squeeze for a semi-retired player like Peng Shuai?

Tennis could financially suffer badly this coming decade. The next Gen are pretty unpopular and will not bring in no where near as much revenue as the greats have done so. And now this meant the WTA will be in a financial hole as well. If a breakaway tour happens as Djokovic wants to run once retired then even the Grand Slams could be at risk.

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

WTA won't touch Taiwan with a wooden stick after this move. And yeah, the Chinese player market could completely collapse from now on. I suppose WTA thinks it was worth the squeeze for a semi-retired player like Peng Shuai?

Taiwan is completely separate to China. It would really piss Bejing off if they did so.

1 minute ago, Orangehair43 said:

Taiwan is completely separate to China. It would really piss Bejing off if they did so.

China is triggered enough to run the financial pressure over lack of WTA tournaments even without Taiwan. WTA raised the purse for 1st round GS losers and so on, there is the big push for pay equality too. I wonder how is that possible with the loss of Chinese money? The long-term plans could blow right up now. The only reasonable replacement is Middle East. It would be hilarious if WTA had to stage events in Saudi Arabia to make up for the Chinese losses :lol: