website statistics

Tennis 2021 Discussion Thread

rybak

Maria is number 5 in the WTA race...in late September! :hyper:

Honestly she deserves the top 10 and more. She did great this year. Semifinals at two Grand Slams, also semifinals at the big tournament in Miami, now final in Ostrava, also she made the semifinals of two other 500 tournaments (Abu Dhabi and Melbourne).

In total she has 7 wins against top 10 players this year! I could be wrong (I only did quick research) but I think is the most of any player, tied with Barty. I don't think anyone else has more than 4 (Krejcikova).

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

As for Raducanu's new coach, Darren Cahill split with Simona Halep few days ago. I wouldn't be surprised to see these two hook up next.

I don't think so. He is in a 28 days quarantine back in Australia after 7 months away, I doubt he is moving from there soon. And Raducanu said she'll do some trials with coaches in the off season.

@MakedonasYes, reaching the deep end of these Premier/500/1000/GS events is worth more than winning three-four Internantional/250 events. Obviously the lack of tournament wins is a problem but Eugenie Bouchard reached Top 5 while only winning Nuernberg Internantional event which remains her only WTA trophy.

@Monzanator Yes, I am just happy she made it to her third WTA final, hopefully she wins her second title. She lost many semifinals since winning Rabat 2019. From memory she lost in the semifinals of Rome 2019, San Jose 2019, Saint Petersburg 2020, Ostrava 2020, Abu Dhabi 2021, Melbourne 2021, Miami 2021, Roland Garros 2021 and US Open 2021. I might be forgetting one or two more. 

So yeah it seemed like she always lost semifinals so I am happy she finally won one. Sorry for Iga but she will also move to a new career-high.

I always loved tennis but never imagined to have a Greek player in the top 10 for both ATP and WTA at the same time. It seemed like a wild dream. Some years ago I hoped for players in the top 100 of both and even that seemed unrealistic. Good things happen to those who wait I guess :d

Meanwhile former RG junior champion Whitney Osuigwe lost her 17th match in a row (Chicago Q1). She's three losses away from tying the WTA Open Era record (Channelle Scheepers in 2003/04 & Abigail Spears 2005/06 both lost 20 matches in a row).

Osuigwe was basically on par with Cori Gauff in the summer of 2019 and she's completely fallen off since the COVID break.

12 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Was it then or 2013/14? I remember her being in the top 100 around that time period

It was from Casablanca quals in March 2003 until Boca Raton ITF in January 2004. It was at the start of her career (2003 was the first time she won a WTA MD match). She obviously did a lot better in the late 00s and even won WTA title in 2011.

Scheepers' first WTA MD win was vs a certain wild card named Samantha Stosur in Gold Coast: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Uncle_Tobys_Hardcourts_–_Singles