website statistics

Tennis 2021 Discussion Thread

rybak

1 hour ago, Makedonas said:

Sorry but I disagree. She is rude and disrespectful to opponents by giving bad handshakes many times which shows poor sportsmanship, especially when she loses.

It's fine if she doesn't show emotions or is shy, but the bad handshakes are rude and classless in my opinion.

Almost every player on tour has had icy handshake one way or another. Some of them more often than others (Yulia Putintseva or Jelena Ostapenko come to mind). Giorgi is by no means a standout in that regard.

3 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Almost every player on tour has had icy handshake one way or another. Some of them more often than others (Yulia Putintseva or Jelena Ostapenko come to mind). Giorgi is by no means a standout in that regard.

Putintseva and Strycova were quite involved in these :lol: But Kerber-Andreescu and Schnyder-Martinez are very spicy :d 

10 hours ago, Monzanator said:

I never said that she was the worst, but she has had some poor handshakes too.

Paula Badosa moves into QF after a win over Elena Rybakina and plays Karolina Pliskova. Meanwhile Jil Teichmann takes out Naomi Osaka in three sets. Osaka needs to stop being a celebrity and actually focus on her primary job. Obviously she will still soak up all the money but it's a terrible loss overall.

2021 US Open will be first Grand Slam tournament since 1997 US Open (24 years!) where nobody of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Serena Williams will not play at the same tournament, in addition defending champion Dominic Thiem and veteran Venus Williams are out due to injuries as well.

Meanwhile :ESP Fernando Verdasco is playing here his first grand slam qualifications since 2003 French Open. It will be also last tournament for :CRO Ivo Karlovic who also is playing here in qualifications. Slowly an era in tennis is coming to end...

• 2 weeks later...

WTA will finally cut the bullshit of keeping 2019 points into the third calendar year. I guess even they finally realized the Beijing & Wuhan events won't be back anytime soon and there's no point in sitting on those ancient points when we had a full season of play in 2021. Just six months of this nonsense and it's finally over.

E-eZLUJXEAMYjub?format=jpg&name=medium

Too bad Sakkari can't keep her Rabat 2019 points although it's ridiculous that she still has them. Anyways, it won't make much of a difference since she's ranked so high now anyways.

What about ITF points from 2019? I know they cut them in half and are letting players keep them for another year, at least that was what they said originally. That's how Despina Papamichail made US Open qualifying because she had 50 points from two tournaments in July 2019 (100 points) and instead of losing them all she lost 25 from each (so lost 50 total).