website statistics

Tennis 2021 Discussion Thread

rybak

Well, Top 5 for Sakkari would really be crazy given she's won a grand total of 1 WTA title so far. She's not that good but WTA is a mess right now anyway.

:BRA Beatriz Haddad Maia bounced #1 seed Karolina Pliskova just minutes ago. Haddad Maia is back after doping suspension and profited from LL spot in MD. And she's into R4 of Indian Wells! Defending 2019 champion Bianca Andreescu is out after losing to Anett Kontaveit. The fall from grace continues and Andreescu's 2019 season appears to be a complete flash in the pan.

3 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Well, Top 5 for Sakkari would really be crazy given she's won a grand total of 1 WTA title so far. She's not that good but WTA is a mess right now anyway.

You forget that Kournikova was top 8 without any title, and Sakkari had a great year this year, she made two slam semis, Miami semis, and several 500 tournament semis/final

Also I really hope Pavlyuchenkova can make the top 10 but it looks like Jabeur will get there before her

Good win for Stefanos, the Italian is always complaining and acting in a rude and disrespectful way, I would not give his comments much importance if I were Stefanos.

Is Jabeur the first Arab woman to make the top 10? I guess so. I know she is not the first African though.

Before Jabeur only one Arab woman made WTA Top 100 - :TUN Selima Sfar. Mayar Sherif has since joined them as the third one. Unlike ATP, Morocco hasn't produced any noteworthy female players over the years (they seemingly have Tunisia instead).

:RSA Amanda Coetzer (CH #3) is the highest ranked female player from Africa ever (in singles). There were more in doubles (Ilana Kloss, Liezel Huber and Cara Black were all #1 in doubles).

Ons is the 1st ever Arab tennis player to reach top 10 weather in ATP or WTA , she also right now is the 8th qualifier for WTA finals and has taken Naomi Osaka Spot another piece of history would be written by this girl who is still being coached by a Tunisian coach 

10 hours ago, thepharoah said:

Ons is the 1st ever Arab tennis player to reach top 10 weather in ATP or WTA , she also right now is the 8th qualifier for WTA finals and has taken Naomi Osaka Spot another piece of history would be written by this girl who is still being coached by a Tunisian coach 

I love her game when she is not joking around! :hearts: