website statistics

Tennis 2021 Discussion Thread

rybak

On 08/04/2021 at 14:33, Monzanator said:

Third longest women's pro match happened yesterday - Amina Anshba def. Laura Pigossi 7-5, 3-6, 7-5 in Cordoba W25. That took 4 hours and 56 minutes :coffee:  Peak moonballing in progress.

I think it's more the lack of ball kids. I saw a match from that tournament and they were playing like with 2 balls and going after them after every single point.

8 hours ago, NMQ said:

I think it's more the lack of ball kids. I saw a match from that tournament and they were playing like with 2 balls and going after them after every single point.

Most ITF events like that are played w/o ball kids tbh and it doesn't get so extreme. And Anshba has two entries in Top 10 of longest women's matches.

Not to mention her 140 shot "rally" vs Magdalena Frech highlighted by some outrageous moonballing :crazy:

Kudermetova wins Charleston 64 62 over Kovinic.

And :COL Maria Camila Osorio Serrano wins her home Bogota Slam.. I mean Copa Colsanitas! That's a totally unexpected result no matter how lukewarm the draw was.

87 v 90 UE! That is some other level of lukewarm indeed.

legendary-2021-bogota-slam-final-stats-p

Are those things relative? Because it's even more 'interesting' if it's in absolute numbers, with women still (come on, it's 2021, do women really still need to be told they can't play more than three sets?) playing way, way shorter than men and such.

Interesting though, I wonder if it's an American thing. Commentators here, both male and female, luckily never talk about clothing in particular (unless it's the annual "oh yeah brand X has a new model of T-shirt that 500 players are now using") and also don't really mention race, even in the cases where American media would go all "first African-American to do X" :p Age is mentioned basically only if there are interesting records in play.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!