website statistics

Modern Pentathlon 2021 Discussion Thread

Vojthas

Sounds like there is division in the heart of the UIPM and the different factions are using leaks to the media to conspire against each other.  :smash:

My solution. Go to the IOC and beg it to make MP an early Olympic-schedule sport rather than being stuck at the end.  That way the two long and not-terribly-commercial fencing rounds can take place on day -2 & day -1 when only obsessives like ourselves are watching.  The more exciting and understandable medal finals then take place on Day 1 & Day 2 in a time-slot when no other medals are being decided and when general public enthusiasm for obscure Olympic sports is at its peak.  Rather than insisting on the very debatable "privilege" of running the events on days 14 & 15 when everyone is tired & jaded, and global media interest has swung to the semi-finals and finals of the big mass-appeal team sports. 

Regular shooting takes place in the first week of Olympics so I can't see MP getting the early love. What works against this sport as well is two of the biggest SOG powerhouses (USA & China) are both non-factors so there is no political pressure to feature MP in a highlighted spot on the schedule. Running it towards the ends when team sports medal rounds/finals take place puts this firmly in the graveyard of Olympic schedule for sure.

Funnily enough the last time MP was held in the first week was 1992 Barcelona where Poland won two gold medals and the dreaded equestrian was the last event of the five :p (the competition lasted four days, impossible in the current day & age).

Back then athletes had a training round available, not the 15 minutes "get to know the horse" we have now but like I've said, the competition wasn't held during a single day so they had time to accomodate the horses.

It's all bullshit. Just get rid of this event already. Laser shooting is a joke since like @heywoodupointed out everyone is just shooting a gazillion shots and rely on the probability count to limit the damage. We all know IOC wants e-sports and urban crap. Stop using the "inclusive" nonsense. A sport that has zero following in USA & China is destined to fail in the modern era when NBC calls the schedule. I'd be amazed if MP remains an Olympic sport in Brisbane and of course their axe will be blamed on lack of diversity and all that crap. Calling it 11 years before SOG 2032. Move on!

3 hours ago, dcro said:

Klaus Schormann sounds like someone who, at the very least, shares the same nationality of Schleu... :whistle:

As MP is a tight-knit community, I wouldn't be surprised if their connection is/was much stronger than just that...

and the (in)famous 1976 Fencing Olympic Champion, too...:evil: :whistle:

I wonder if some (weird, to say the least) ideas are in the air in some places? :mumble: :yikes: :facepalm: :hairpull: