website statistics

Modern Pentathlon 2021 Discussion Thread

Vojthas

7 hours ago, intoronto said:

Goodbye MP... lol.

Why do we need a triathlon with fencing and laser shooting added to it? There is 0 point...

Nothing needs laser shooting anyway. If there's shooting combined with running, make it so that a miss is actually penalized and we don't get a situation where everyone just scrambled to get a billion shots off as fast as possible, because a few of them will be hits anyway.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 hours ago, JoshMartini007 said:

While removing the riding portion may make the sport more accessible, adding cycling is a poor choice as it doesn't have much military roots plus as others have mentioned, it would bring the sport too close to triathlon. Something along the lines of archery or a hand-to-hand combat sport (wrestling?) would be more applicable.

combat sambo would be the best one...

at least, that's an official training for many special forces of the army in quite a few Nations, Russia's spetsnaz first of all...

p.s. my 2 cents...

any change would mean killing the sport of Modern Pentathlon...

they'd better close it down once and forever rather than trying such weird moves...

Interesting to read an input from one of the Tokyo 2020 dressage judges.

image.png

The general consensus is that it comes down to pentathletes generally going through the motions when it comes to riding. This results in a general lack of understanding of the sport. Doesn't help that lousy riders can get away with it at these heights, by drawing a lucky, ultra-genuine horse.

I think the worst part in all of this is that, with this decision, the UIPM is pretty much taking the side of the German coach after all...

#banbestmen

40 minutes ago, dcro said:

image.png

The general consensus is that it comes down to pentathletes generally going through the motions when it comes to riding. This results in a general lack of understanding of the sport. Doesn't help that lousy riders can get away with it at these heights, by drawing a lucky, ultra-genuine horse.

I agree with that judge. What we have here is people that don’t show proper treatment to the horses, plus real amateur athletes and coaches that don’t put enough importance on the equestrian part.

I don’t see women’s gumnastics being ejected because of the sexual and emotional abuse suffered by some gymnasts.

55 minutes ago, dcro said:

image.png

I think the worst part in all of this is that, with this decision, the UIPM is pretty much taking the side of the German coach after all...

Seems kind of damning that a world class modern pentathlete is completely incompetent in one fifth of the sports that comprise modern pentathlon, and it isn't even an outlier.

1 hour ago, NearPup said:

Seems kind of damning that a world class modern pentathlete is completely incompetent in one fifth of the sports that comprise modern pentathlon, and it isn't even an outlier.

Is not damning when she is not referring to a particular athlete.

The judge just says that instead of removing the sport of its core component, there should be a better understanding of what the riding portion must be for both athletes and horses.

I'm shocked modern pentathlon is still an Olympic Sport tbh. Replacing equestrian with cycling is bullshit, like mentioned above it's basically a triathlon with laser shooting & fencing. Who needs that? As underwhelming as skateboarding & surfing have been we will see more of these urban sports crap for kids so some of the old Olympic sports are destined to be axed from the programme. Modern pentathlon is #1 on the list IMO especially how IOC claims triathlon is the new craze (I don't find that sport particulary exciting myself).

As others have said, cycling would be a terrible idea.

Knowing that this is a "military sport" and riding was a "obstacle course", it would be interesting if they would have a military obstacle course as the replacement event. Maybe something similar to American Ninja Warrior. I am not joking, that would both be unique to this sport at the Games and it would be fun. It would also require different skills than the simple running + shooting event and it would make a lot of sense given the history and origins of modern pentathlon. 

Here's another idea: sprint climbing. Or rope climbing. It would be easy to train for, climbing is very popular everywhere, it would also fit into the military theme of the sport.

It would be interesting to see rope climbing back at the Games, it was part of the Games in the early days: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnastics_at_the_1896_Summer_Olympics_–_Men's_rope_climbing