website statistics

Judo 2021 Discussion Thread

phelps

Junior Europeans, Day 2

Yesterday there was quite a good spread of winners in Luxembourg (:ROU Romania and :RUS Russia winning the men's classes, :CRO Croatia and :UKR Ukraine taking gold home in the women's division), the only constant being the disappointing results from the most expected Italian judo players...

we did even have 2 guys in the -73kg class semis, but they both failed in the clutch moments and ended up 3rd and 5th...

here's the results' recap...

https://live.ijf.org/eju_jun2021/results

and don't forget that all the action is always live for free on Youtube...

5 hours ago, seb851 said:

Very good editiorial on Bilodid situation if she move up on -52kg or stay on -48kg.

https://judocrazy.com/will-bilodid-move-up-to-52kg/

imho, it's not enough even the -52kg...she has to go up until at least the -57kg, where she would still be taller than most of her opponents, but she would also have some room to build some muscles and above all, avoid the excessive weight cutting before the competition as she has to do right now...

in all the evnts she entered this year, she was clearly completely spent because of that...it's a miracle that she came home with a bronze medal from the Tokyo Olympics...

and that's a shame, because she's so talented and beautiful to watch when she's in top shape...

41 minutes ago, phelps said:

imho, it's not enough even the -52kg...she has to go up until at least the -57kg, where she would still be taller than most of her opponents, but she would also have some room to build some muscles and above all, avoid the excessive weight cutting before the competition as she has to do right now...

in all the evnts she entered this year, she was clearly completely spent because of that...it's a miracle that she came home with a bronze medal from the Tokyo Olympics...

and that's a shame, because she's so talented and beautiful to watch when she's in top shape...

Do you think his style fit in the 57kg division? because the -57 division is the most competitive female side. 

I discussed with a friend who is close to Judo Canada, according in his opinion Klimkait will move up to 63kg, she had a lot of trouble in the weight cutting this year ... 

For Christa, he has doubts about her. She has not yet made a decision about her future. He really believes will retire. The preliminary starting list for Paris Grand Slam, Canada is participating, and all the members of the Canadian Team ''Grade A'' and did not participate in the Olympics are participating except Christa.

12 hours ago, seb851 said:

Do you think his style fit in the 57kg division? because the -57 division is the most competitive female side. 

I think she could become a dominating force also in that class...

of course she has to put some muscles on, because in that class you need also a lot of pure strenght, it's not only about pure technique anymore (as it might be in the -48kg, where almost every player doesn't have enough room to work on anything but making that really light weight)...

I guess it won't be a ready-steady-go switch for her, but surely in the medium and long terms it's the right move to save her from injuries and burnouts...

personally, I'm against every excess in cutting weight...I see only disadvantages rather than benefit, especially if you want to have a long career...

Junior Europeans, Day 3

Last day of the individual events at the Junior Europeans...and once again a good spread of gold medals, with 5 Countries winning 1 title each (:GEO Georgia in the -90kg, :RUS Russia in the -100kg, :HUN Hungary in the +100kg among the boys; :GER Germany in the -78kg and :FRA France in the +78kg among the girls)...

This means that :RUS Russia win the final medal table (I'm not going to consider the mixed team event as part of this championship) with 4 gold medals ahead of :FRA France with 3, meanwhile 7 more Countries won 1 gold medal each...

here's the results' recap...

https://live.ijf.org/eju_jun2021/results

On 9/12/2021 at 4:37 AM, phelps said:

I think she could become a dominating force also in that class...

of course she has to put some muscles on, because in that class you need also a lot of pure strenght, it's not only about pure technique anymore (as it might be in the -48kg, where almost every player doesn't have enough room to work on anything but making that really light weight)...

I guess it won't be a ready-steady-go switch for her, but surely in the medium and long terms it's the right move to save her from injuries and burnouts...

personally, I'm against every excess in cutting weight...I see only disadvantages rather than benefit, especially if you want to have a long career...

ok, on other case, have a exemple a player drop weight category ? 

10 hours ago, seb851 said:

ok, on other case, have a exemple a player drop weight category ? 

I'm sure there are a few in the heavyweights, but I don't have any name at the moment...

I remember :ITA Ylenia Scapin in the late Nineties, early 2000's switching quite a few times from the -78kg (her "natural weight class") to the -70kg...

she won more than 1 European and World medals in the lower division and twice the Olympic bronze medal in the heavier class (1996 and 2000)...