website statistics

Artistic Gymnastics 2021 Discussion Thread

thiago_simoes

23 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

What a horrible broadcast of the Mersin World Challenge Cup. The schedule with 10 finals in 1 day is a mess, and the broadcast suffers because of the terrible organization.

Anyway, good news is that a female gymnast from :LTU won a medal at the World Cup/World Challenge Cup circuit for the first time ever. 

Do you have full results?

4 hours ago, thiago_simoes said:

What a horrible broadcast of the Mersin World Challenge Cup. The schedule with 10 finals in 1 day is a mess, and the broadcast suffers because of the terrible organization.

Anyway, good news is that a female gymnast from :LTU won a medal at the World Cup/World Challenge Cup circuit for the first time ever. 

Great news, but I'm sure Vostruchovaitė's medal is more a representation of weak pool of competition  

Two days ago it was a junior competition at Deva before nationals Barbosu won with 53.800, Puflea on second place with 53.600 and Shakira Cantaragiu in third plache with 48.400, Sabrina Voinea only 47.800

Next week will be Romanian Nationals, we will see Iordache, Voinea, Barbosu, Sfiringu, Duta, Puflea, Luiza Popa, Ceplinschi, Trica and Jurca(!) at work. There’s literally no way that Romanian comeback is not going to happen.

Ioana Stanciulescu and Andreea Munteanu are not competing. 

On 9/12/2021 at 1:01 PM, Bearas said:

Great news, but I'm sure Vostruchovaitė's medal is more a representation of weak pool of competition  

You're right: 13.525 is not a score that would even qualify her for the event finals at the World Championships, but it's still decent enough and on par with what's expected at a World Cup stage. However, the most important thing is: the potential to improve her difficulty is HUGE. Her execution is very good and she can become a real threat for a World medal in a few years.

On 9/12/2021 at 1:34 PM, IoNuTzZ said:

Two days ago it was a junior competition at Deva before nationals Barbosu won with 53.800, Puflea on second place with 53.600 and Shakira Cantaragiu in third plache with 48.400, Sabrina Voinea only 47.800

Voinea is probably the most exciting, talented and promising junior gymnast in the whole world, but she always performs poorly in competition. I don't understand why.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not sure where to post this, so I'll post it here.

Some curiosities about the gymnastics events at the Junior Pan American Games:

1) :CRC and :ECU earned their first-ever medals in any gymnastics discipline at the Pan American Games. 

2) :PER earned their first medals in artistic gymnastics since 1979.

3) :ARG got their first gold medal in gymnastics since 1999. Also, their first-ever medal in trampoline, if you don't count a medal in tumbling in 1955.
4) :BRA and :MEX got their first-ever gold medals in trampoline.

5) :BRA got their first gold medals in individual rhythmic gymnastics.

6) :CUB walked away without a medal in any gymnastics discipline for the first time.

7) This marks the first time that :COL gets a medal in women's trampoline.

In this never-ending year, tomorrow the South American Championships will begin. I'm not sure if this is a qualifying event for the 2022 South American Games, but I'm kind of expecting it to be since even :ARU decided to send gymnasts this time. Color me surprised.

:ARG will host the event and they are taking this very seriously with their best gymnasts. :CHI, :PER and :COL will fight for some minor medals. :ECU has a pretty decent line-up too with Perea and Chiriboga with a big chance of winning gold medals.

:BRA decided to send two teams with up and coming gymnasts, so this will be the senior debut for all of them, except for Carolyne Pedro who is a veteran but had a very nasty injury and is now competing for the first time after going through the nightmare of a delicate surgery and a long time recovering.

I expect :ARG to win at least five gold medals: women's team, all-around and uneven bars, men's rings and pommel horse. Women's vault could also go to Argentina, but :ECU Perea is the reigning Pan American bronze medalist so she has the edge here.

I'm very curious about what :ARU has to show. Also, it's pretty sad that :VEN will only send one gymnast, but at least there's some form of representation here.

Very biased scores against Brazil and blatantly favoring Argentina on the women's events. Argentina has the better women's team and I'm okay with they winning the gold medal, but definitely not with scores that they didn't deserve. It's like the judges absolutely had to make sure that Argentina would win no matter what. Seriously, this is one of the worst judged events I've taken note of.

EDIT: After I wrote this, one of the Argentinian girls had a bad performance on floor and basically threw out of the window their chances of winning gold. But, seriously, some scores are only 0,1 apart when they should have been at least 0,5 apart.