website statistics

Football 2021 Discussion Thread

Henry_Leon

17 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Arguments?

what did he do throughout the year , his team conceded 4 from Paris and 8 from Bayern in UCL last 2 seasons , he barely scored his 1st goal in ligue 1 on GW 12 , no la liga , are Copa del rey and Copa America enough for Ballon d'or ? i don't think so , if it's by trophies then no one deserve it more than Jorginho , if it's by stats and trophies also no one is better than Liwa , with all due respect to Messi but this's one of the biggest thefts in history of football and i really lost trust in this prize more than even in the past  

According to sources here are the Top 10 points:

1. Leo Messi – 613
  2. Robert Lewandowski – 580
  3. Jorginho – 460
  4. Karim Benzema – 239
  5. N’Golo Kante – 186
  6. Cristiano Ronaldo – 176
  7. Mohamed Salah – 121
  8. Kevin de Bruyne – 73
  9. Kylian Mbappe – 58
  10. Gianluigi Donnarumma – 36

1 hour ago, thepharoah said:

what did he do throughout the year , his team conceded 4 from Paris and 8 from Bayern in UCL last 2 seasons , he barely scored his 1st goal in ligue 1 on GW 12 , no la liga , are Copa del rey and Copa America enough for Ballon d'or ? i don't think so , if it's by trophies then no one deserve it more than Jorginho , if it's by stats and trophies also no one is better than Liwa , with all due respect to Messi but this's one of the biggest thefts in history of football and i really lost trust in this prize more than even in the past  

1) it's often a balance between individual stats and team achievements to decide the winner I believe. Jorginho won the 2 most important trophies but he wasn't the most pivotal player in either team, especially not in Chelsea who has way more important players. 

2) Winning Bundesliga is good, but Bayern wins every year literally. Copa del Rey is not amazing but winning the Copa America for Argentina in Brazil is. 

3) The 8 goals from Bayern were in 2020 so it's not relevant. Messi scored both of Barcelona's goals against PSG, what else can he do if that team doesn't defend and had no one other than him producing in attack?  

4) About the start of this season: the voting closed in October so I don't believe that it's a very important factor. Plus, unlike Lewandowski, he didn't do preseason and has travelled 3 times to south america in 3 months. His scoring+assist stats from January to July are huge.

5) Yes, the scoring stats of Lewandowski are crazy and far away from the rest this year but (something that everyone always forgets) Messi is NOT a striker, he's a playmaker. His scoring stats should be better compared to players like Bernardo Silva, Griezmann, Muller, Neymar, not to Lewandowski lol. Thing is, Messi has scored so many goals in his career that everyone forgets about this when comparing him to others and judges him with a completely different bar.

8 minutes ago, LDOG said:

1) it's often a balance between individual stats and team achievements to decide the winner I believe. Jorginho won the 2 most important trophies but he wasn't the most pivotal player in either team, especially not in Chelsea who has way more important players. 

2) Winning Bundesliga is good, but Bayern wins every year literally. Copa del Rey is not amazing but winning the Copa America for Argentina in Brazil is. 

3) The 8 goals from Bayern were in 2020 so it's not relevant. Messi scored both of Barcelona's goals against PSG, what else can he do if that team doesn't defend and had no one other than him producing in attack?  

4) About the start of this season: the voting closed in October so I don't believe that it's a very important factor. Plus, unlike Lewandowski, he didn't do preseason and has travelled 3 times to south america in 3 months. His scoring+assist stats from January to July are huge.

5) Yes, the scoring stats of Lewandowski are crazy and far away from the rest this year but (something that everyone always forgets) Messi is NOT a striker, he's a playmaker. His scoring stats should be better compared to players like Bernardo Silva, Griezmann, Muller, Neymar, not to Lewandowski lol. Thing is, Messi has scored so many goals in his career that everyone forgets about this when comparing him to others and judges him with a completely different bar.

i can't remember a player that his team got eliminated from UCL R16 and won Ballon d'or at the end , and for Copa America Suarez won it in Argentina with full attendance in 2011 and with much better quality of football than last tournament and didn't win ballon d'or , nor Sanchez or Vidal won it when they won Copa America in 2016 with full attendance also and with more teams and much better quality despite the face they were on fire also with their teams , neither Alisson or Fabinho in 2019 when they were champions of Europe , Copa America wasn't always a tournament that decides ballon d'or winner , it became of this importance this year just because Messi won it 

6 hours ago, thepharoah said:

Completely agree with you.

This reminds me of that consolation prize for Best World Cup player they gave Messi when they were beaten in the final by the Germans, instead of giving it to the real best player that had been Robben.

But like I said, until Ronaldo and Messi are out I think these awards will continue to be a bit of joke, which is sad for the true best players like Lewandowski.

Lewandowski and Salah are the best in this moment, but I don't understand the criteria why Messi won this trophy. I have nothing against him, I like him, but he don't deserve the Ballon d'Or this year. Also, Jorginho on the podium. Why ? just because he scores from penalties? These type of trophies should be cancelled because they are a big disgrace already. 

14 hours ago, thepharoah said:

i can't remember a player that his team got eliminated from UCL R16 and won Ballon d'or at the end , and for Copa America Suarez won it in Argentina with full attendance in 2011 and with much better quality of football than last tournament and didn't win ballon d'or , nor Sanchez or Vidal won it when they won Copa America in 2016 with full attendance also and with more teams and much better quality despite the face they were on fire also with their teams , neither Alisson or Fabinho in 2019 when they were champions of Europe , Copa America wasn't always a tournament that decides ballon d'or winner , it became of this importance this year just because Messi won it 

I said it's a balance between titles and individual performance, not that x title is decisive. 

In 2011 Messi won UCL scoring a million goals in the year, of course he was going to win it over Suárez. Same for Cristiano in 2016.

Anyway, it's not a problem that you think Lewandowski should have won. The problem is that you said Messi shouldn't be even top 5 :lol:

15 hours ago, thepharoah said:

Was a defender even nominated? :p 

I saw there's a shitload of criticism about Messi winning (of course his name helps), but somehow it's mostly about "Lewandowski broke records!" and all that stuff. Or is it just the usual "Defenders don't really count, because they're not the shirt-selling superstars"? :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!