website statistics

Fencing 2021 Discussion Thread

phelps

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Dunadan said:

:mumble:Team events and quotas are fully confirmed for Paris 2024 so that would mean a much smaller field in individual events despite the fencers being on site.

Yea. Perhaps they are looking at groups then knockout? I doubt any of the big countries would agree to it anyways. 

4 hours ago, intoronto said:

Heard rumours that the FIE is considering only one athlete per country in each individual event from Paris 2024 onward. Now I don't think this is a good idea, but its being discussed.

Manufactured diversity à la Taekwondo so that you have something to sell to the IOC : "hey look at my Benin pin medallist, you can't really drop us now do you ?"

God, I hate that...

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

Yea. Perhaps they are looking at groups then knockout? I doubt any of the big countries would agree to it anyways. 

I can't see why any country, who is capable of qualifying a team would support it, perhaps even more so if they are a smaller (in fencing terms) country specialized in a weapon only, like Estonia in epee, etc. 

And about groups, if the goal is to increase diversity in medalists groups are not the best idea- single elimination format makes surprises more likely to happen. 

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Italian federation fired Cuomo, Sirovich and, dulcis in fundo, Andrea Cirpessa! :toast:

Cipressa was fired after Di Francisca's accouse on italian TV and after that all the foils athletes, excepted Cirpessa's son, asked to fire him

What did she accuse him of? Doesn't it all have to do with the mediocre results of Italian fencing in Tokyo?