website statistics

Beach Volleyball 2021 Discussion Thread

Laraja

• 2 months later...

Beach volleyball strikes a blow for Human Rights!

Beach volleyball stars will be allowed to wear bikinis on court during a tournament in Qatar next month, the sport's governing body said after a pair of German players vowed to boycott the event.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9295529/Volleyball-stars-allowed-wear-bikinis-Qatar-games-German-duo-vowed-boycott.html

• 2 weeks later...

Full beach volleyball calendar is revealed.

https://www.volleyball.world/en/beachvolleyball/worldtour/2021/news/2021-beach-volleyball-calendar-and-olympic-qualifiers?id=92264

Meanwhile yesterday in Doha first 4* tournament (very important for Olympic ranking) in this season started. Already we had some interesting results and scores, for example in match between :BRA Agatha/Duda against :NED Keizer/Meppelink in 1/16 finals in first set we had result 35-33 for the Brazilians, in the end Agatha/Duda wins the match 2-1.

The entire Doha tournament is streamed live on youtube (Beach Volleyball World). I was watching some parts while working from home. Including that tense :BRAv:NED match. Both teams lost multiple match points in the 3rd set as well. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And just 1 week after the Olympic Games in Tokyo,the next host country, :FRA already has a big disappointment in this sport. Now the European Championship is being held in Vienna and 2 pairs(one from each gender) are participating there from France.The women's pair could not pass from the group, the men's pair was eliminated in the 1/24 finals.I am very disappointed after this event, because now France has a good Brazilian coach and I thought that our pairs would reach at least the 1/8 finals...

The qualification system is not yet known, but I have huge doubts that France will receive host country quotas.

1 hour ago, EupenM said:

And just 1 week after the Olympic Games in Tokyo,the next host country, :FRA already has a big disappointment in this sport. Now the European Championship is being held in Vienna and 2 pairs(one from each gender) are participating there from France.The women's pair could not pass from the group, the men's pair was eliminated in the 1/24 finals.I am very disappointed after this event, because now France has a good Brazilian coach and I thought that our pairs would reach at least the 1/8 finals...

Don't you think that's a slight overstatement :rolleyes: The men's team was beaten by teams ranked 1 and 4 at the olympics and the women, well, they're are not ranked 62th in the world for no reason

The qualification system is not yet known, but I have huge doubts that France will receive host country quotas.

Of course, we will

1 hour ago, EupenM said:

Olympics is normally two teams from top-level countries, so I’m sure they’ll take France over Angola or whatever.  We got places in London although we are in there with :ISL & :MKD in any form of Volleyball.

:SUI Betchart/Huberli are the new european champions with a 2-0 win over :NED Stam/Schoon. The swiss team had previously saved two match points in their semifinal against :GER Borger/Sude, to advance to the final. The german team took bronze with 2-1 win over 2019 european champions :LAT Kravcenoka/Graudina, after coming from a set down.

The title remains in Switzerland, :SUI Heidrich/Verge-Depre had won last year in Jurmala, but they didn't play this year after winning their olympic bronze. In Tokyo, they were the team to stop :SUI Betchart/Huberli in the round of 16. 

Tomorrow, men's semifinals and medal matches will be contested. :NOR Mol/Sorum are the defending champions having won three times in a row in 2018, 2019 and 2020. Semifinals are :NOR Mol/Sorum-:NED Brouwer/Meeuwsen and :POL Kantor/Losiak-:NEDBoermans/de Groot. That means :NED the Netherlands are guaranteed at least one medal. Semifinals are scheduled for tomorrow afternoon, medal matches will follow in the evening.