website statistics

3x3 Basketball 2021 Discussion Thread

EupenM

• 8 months later...

Situation about the Belgian men's team:

https://www.hln.be/sport/grootschalige-fraude-3x3-lions-organiseerden-fictieve-wedstrijden-om-op-olympische-spelen-te-geraken-boic-wacht-af~a808e67d

Basically it says there's been a major fraud, in which Belgium entered 27 tournaments in the FIBA systems where their players gained enough points to get into the OQT and eventually qualify for Tokyo. Mongolia-style, basically, but as far as I know the tournaments in Mongolia were at least actually played, whereas here it says the Belgian tournaments were entirely made up and not a ball was actually touched...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Situation about the Belgian men's team:

https://www.hln.be/sport/grootschalige-fraude-3x3-lions-organiseerden-fictieve-wedstrijden-om-op-olympische-spelen-te-geraken-boic-wacht-af~a808e67d

Basically it says there's been a major fraud, in which Belgium entered 27 tournaments in the FIBA systems where their players gained enough points to get into the OQT and eventually qualify for Tokyo. Mongolia-style, basically, but as far as I know the tournaments in Mongolia were at least actually played, whereas here it says the Belgian tournaments were entirely made up and not a ball was actually touched...

Would you bet your house on it :p

“Whatever the story may be, and I would like to emphasize again that we have no knowledge of possible fraud at the moment, the basketball players have reached fourth place,” says Van Baelen."So they had their place on sporting grounds, as the results show." 

Nice reasoning.

38 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Would you bet your house on it :p

Like @Dunadan said, they were actually even shown (and posted here I believe), tons of Facebook live streams. It was obscure and it was playing with the rules, but it was definitely not breaking the rules.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

and I would like to emphasize again that we have no knowledge of possible fraud at the moment

Yes, keep emphasizing it again and again, because that makes it more believeable :d 

Same story emerging about Romania, which is accused of hosting 150 non-existing tournaments. It's in Belgian media though, so, you know, pinch of salt :p