website statistics

Athletics 2021 Discussion Thread

Wumo

I have to be honest that I don’t quite understand or agree with the position many people seem to have about the current shoe technology. I get that people think it’s lame that world records and other fast times are falling because of technology, but if the argument is that sports cannot progress for the sanctity of records, then I don’t agree with that position. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

41 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I have to be honest that I don’t quite understand or agree with the position many people seem to have about the current shoe technology. I get that people think it’s lame that world records and other fast times are falling because of technology, but if the argument is that sports cannot progress for the sanctity of records, then I don’t agree with that position. 

History tells us these shoes will eventually get banned. Same happened with Obree's Old Faithful bike in the 90s and the infamous full-body swimming suits in late 00s. It's only a matter of time shoes follow suit :p

This looked cool 25 years ago until it wasn't cool anymore :bye:

GettyImages-234882-e1520787059421.jpg

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

No problem here, but to make it fair, give the same material to everybody.

1 minute ago, hckošice said:

No problem here, but to make it fair, give the same material to everybody.

Right, that’s my argument. I’m fine with the shoe technology as long as everyone has fair access to it. If it’s available for the general public and for all competitors, then it’s fine in my books.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

20 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Right, that’s my argument. I’m fine with the shoe technology as long as everyone has fair access to it. If it’s available for the general public and for all competitors, then it’s fine in my books.

You know that's not gonna happen. Some countries/athletes will enjoy a clear advantage in access to the best equipment and this is when the tech progress will be outlawed. Just need some big names to voice their displeasure (like Michael Phelps with the full-body suits).

11 hours ago, Monzanator said:

History tells us these shoes will eventually get banned. Same happened with Obree's Old Faithful bike in the 90s and the infamous full-body swimming suits in late 00s. It's only a matter of time shoes follow suit :p

This looked cool 25 years ago until it wasn't cool anymore :bye:

GettyImages-234882-e1520787059421.jpg

This was the era of Riis, Pantani, Armstrong and the most blatant drug cheats of all time and the most important decision the UCI was to ban riders from having their arms sticking out in front of them... :wall:

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

This was the era of Riis, Pantani, Armstrong and the most blatant drug cheats of all time and the most important decision the UCI was to ban riders from having their arms sticking out in front of them... :wall:

They outlawed the bike in 1995. The Festina doping scandal which opened the Pantani & Riis can of worms happened in 1998. You can't put a cart in front of the horse :p

33 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

They outlawed the bike in 1995. The Festina doping scandal which opened the Pantani & Riis can of worms happened in 1998. You can't put a cart in front of the horse :p

Although court papers have proved that both Riis and Pantani were doping with EPO on a massive scale since at least 92-3.

There were even some rumours that they had some blood in their EPO system

3 minutes ago, Dragon said:

Although court papers have proved that both Riis and Pantani were doping with EPO on a massive scale since at least 92-3.

There were even some rumours that they had some blood in their EPO system

Yes, but dopers are always one step ahead of the controls all the time. Plus most of the 90s was focused on anabolic steroids rather than hormone/blood transfusions like in EPO case. Then BALCO scandal brought the steroids back to the fore front again.