website statistics

Athletics 2021 Discussion Thread

Wumo

25 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Apparently :RSA Ponzio will become Italian.

Little mix there, :USA Ponzio and :RSA Weir are both eligible to represent Italy, both shot putters. There's a trend lately, with also :USA Robert Grant (400m hurdles) now able to wear the Italian jersey, thanks to his great-grandparents, which is something I find a bit much. 

2 minutes ago, SalamAkhi said:

Little mix there, :USA Ponzio and :RSA Weir are both eligible to represent Italy, both shot putters. There's a trend lately, with also :USA Robert Grant (400m hurdles) now able to wear the Italian jersey, thanks to his great-grandparents, which is something I find a bit much. 

Italian law about citizenship is fucking stupid. If you have a great-great-grandaprent Italian, you're Italian.

If you are born in Italy by not-italian parents, if you do the Italian schools and so on, you must wait 18 years old and start a burocratic procedure...

Lithuania's athletics summer season is starting to get into gear.

Today and tomorrow there's a long throw Lithuanian championships that is usually held in the middle of spring as the first event for discus, javelin and hammer throwers.

Edis Matusevičius and Liveta Jasiūnaitė skipped the event, so there won't be anything promising tomorrow, but everybody took part in the discus and hammer.

Women's Discus was really sub-par, because no one threw over 60 metres, but Andrius Gudžius season opener in the discus was 66.06.

So that's a pretty decent start.

22 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

Italian law about citizenship is fucking stupid. If you have a great-great-grandaprent Italian, you're Italian.

If you are born in Italy by not-italian parents, if you do the Italian schools and so on, you must wait 18 years old and start a burocratic procedure...

Same with Ireland.  Presumably both written at a time when both countries were poor & everyone wanted to get their rich oncles d’amerique back into the motherland

On 29/04/2021 at 14:21, Gianlu33 said:

Oh, that means I'm probably Italian. Now that's unexpected!

Not that I plan to leave Brazil and live in Italy, just to make it clear.