website statistics

Athletics 2021 Discussion Thread

Wumo

It looks like Budapest is about to lose the Athletics World Championships. There is a feud between the governing party and the mayor of Budapest, who's in the opposition. The governing party has crossed the line with various projects in the city, most notably with a huge project for a Chinese university over a vision of a more Western "district for students". The mayor promised that if the conservatives continue to back the Chinese university over his project, he will write a letter to IAAF to reject the hosting right of the 2023 WCh. I think there's a good chance that it will happen, for the governing party the project of the Chinese university is way more important than the Athletics WCh, as there's a ton of Chinese money in it, they are pretty much selling the country to China. 

4 hours ago, Vektor said:

It looks like Budapest is about to lose the Athletics World Championships. There is a feud between the governing party and the mayor of Budapest, who's in the opposition. The governing party has crossed the line with various projects in the city, most notably with a huge project for a Chinese university over a vision of a more Western "district for students". The mayor promised that if the conservatives continue to back the Chinese university over his project, he will write a letter to IAAF to reject the hosting right of the 2023 WCh. I think there's a good chance that it will happen, for the governing party the project of the Chinese university is way more important than the Athletics WCh, as there's a ton of Chinese money in it, they are pretty much selling the country to China. 

This is very interesting. Any source on that? Internet article or sth?

7 hours ago, Vektor said:

Let’s hope that you are right and that they will indeed not host it.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

3 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

This is very interesting. Any source on that? Internet article or sth?

Here's an article about the Chinese loan in English: https://www.direkt36.hu/en/kinai-hitelbol-keszul-a-magyar-felsooktatas-oriasberuhazasa-a-kormany-mar-oda-is-igerte-egy-kinai-cegnek/

From what I understand...Des Linden is the first woman to go under 3 hours in a 50km.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

28 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

I can see my home city of London at least considering stepping in as emergency host for 2023 should Budapest decline. 

2023 is too early, we’ll still be in lockdown for the eleventh wave. :stop: