website statistics

Wrestling UWW Individual World Cup 2020

Totallympics

3 minutes ago, ChandlerMne said:

Somehow i feared that this option is plausible. 

Which would be pitty. Vlasov is dominant, but in my opinion, Nemes deserves to be in Tokyo. Having them fight before final would be disastreous. 

they are both in top 16 of the world obviously and technically deserve to qualify but well wrestling (and sport in general) is not always about what do you deserve.

there is a seeding system but that's not working properly and both Vlasov and Nemes will be unseeded. and they are not the only favorites in the competition. the German guy who almost beat Vlasov is good, Azerbaijan, Moldova, Turkey, Belarus, Ukraine they are all good enough to upset one of those two guys.

but there will be one last chance in Bulgaria too. Nemes and Vlasov have to finish in top 2 in one of these tournaments. (EQT in HUN or last WQT in BUL) same goes to all wrestlers not qualified yet including the Iranians ! but our job is a BIT easier because the Asian qualifier is not as hard as the European one. still much much harder than other continents.

3 hours ago, MHSN said:

only top 2. that's why the draw matters a LOT. you can be the 2nd best guy in the competition and still face the best guy before the final and fail to qualify.

Always felt it would be a way better system to have a double elimination system for those tournaments.

Evloev beat the great Artur 5-1, no technical point it was all cautions. Artur somehow flee the mat on parterre and I think he deserved the caution. he was very angry at the end. I'm not sure if he comes back to wrestle for bronze tomorrow. (assuming Evloev will go to the final)

I was expecting more from two of best Greco wrestlers in the world but the thing is, scoring is really hard in high level matches in Greco-Roman specially in heavier weights.

12 hours ago, NearPup said:

Always felt it would be a way better system to have a double elimination system for those tournaments.

Agree

in Iran we always use double elimination format for most of our local wrestling tournaments (specially for the trials) but it also has its own problems. sometimes we have 3 guys left after beating each other ! and in this case the winner will be decided by minor details, I think nobody wants that.

there is no perfect system but if they want to use this direct elimination format, they have to improve their seeding system. Judo and Taekwondo managed to have a decent ranking system but for wrestling their ranking is more like a joke. still better than nothing though

Today semifinals

60kg: :TUR Uyar vs :KGZ Sharshenbekov / :RUS Maryanyan vs :SRB Fris

63kg: :HUN Torba vs :ALG Djebbari / :RUS Lokyaev vs :KGZ Sulaimanov

82kg: :RUS Alirzaev vs :MDA Bradu / :GER Schwarz vs :TUR Aydin

97kg: :CZE Omarov vs :HUN Szoke / :IRI Saravi vs :RUS Evloev

87kg: :TUR Yildrim vs :AZE Kandelaki / :RUS Semenov vs :ARM Ovasapyan

I think Russia is capable of winning all 5 gold medals in these weights. they are all huge favorites . it's highly possible for Russia to finish the GR competition with 9 gold medals!

glad to see Saravi in the SF, this will be great opportunity for him to face the world champion but his QF match vs Kakhelashvili could go either way, he was lucky that the Italian received the 3rd caution. they both failed to score and the refs HAD to pick one as winner, this time he was lucky but we usually lose matches like this. there is nothing to be proud of in these kind of wins . :thumbdown: this is why I hate guys like Nabi or Kudla.  but I'm glad he was able to stand against such a strong guy like Nikoloz (I consider him one of the favorites for the OG medal)

Maskevich :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Tomorrow's Finals

60kg: :KGZ Sharshenbekov vs :RUS Maryanyan

63kg: :HUN Torba vs :RUS Lokyaev

82kg: :RUS Alirzaev vs :TUR Aydin

97kg: :HUN Szoke vs :RUS Evloev

130kg: :TUR Yildrim vs :RUS Semenov

Today's Medallists

55kg

Gold: :RUS Emin Sefershaev

Silver: :TUR Serif Kilic

Bronze: :AZE Eldaniz Azizli & :ALG Abdelkarim Fergat

67kg

Gold: :RUS Nazir Abdullaev

Silver: :AZE Islambek Dadov

Bronze: :ARM Slavik Galstyan & :POL Roman Pacukowski

72kg

Gold: :HUN Balint Korpasi

Silver: :ARM Malkhas Amoyan

Bronze: :TUR Cengiz Arslan & :KGZ Ruslan Tsarev

77kg

Gold: :RUS Roman Vlasov

Silver: :HUN Zoltan Levai

Bronze: :SRB Viktor Nemes & :MDA Alexandrin Gutu

87kg

Gold: :BLR Kiryl Maskevich

Silver: :RUS Davit Chakvetadze

Bronze: :UKR Semen Novikov & :SRB Zurabi Datunashvili

I think we should stop complaining about the refs, what happens to Armenian wrestlers is much much worse. they got robbed a gold and a bronze today. and this is not even a very important event :facepalm:

Maskevich made my day by destroying the Olympic champion. :yes:bounce:

as for the Iranian wrestlers, Saravi had a good and close fight with the World Champion, he lost because of that 2points caution nobody knew where it came from! and Nouri lost the bronze medal match to his own mistakes, he did the same mistake 6 times! that's unbelievable.

Vlasov still has it. he is nothing special in the standing position but man he can throw anybody. his throws are fantastic. 

I expect Russia to win all 5 golds tomorrow, none of them are facing a huge challenge.

one of our freestyle guys is Coronavirus infected and I assume the other guy will test positive soon. so our small team is already down to 3 (and probably 2)

Today's Women's Wrestling Semifinals

50kg
:UKR Liliia Malanchuk vs :GER Lisa Ersel
:RUS Ekaterina Poleshchuk vs :BUL Miglena Selishka

53kg
:BLR Zalina Sidakova vs :GRE Maria Prevolaraki
:POL Roksana Marta Zasina vs :GER Nina Hemmer

55kg
:POL Katarzyna Krawczyk vs :GER Annika Wendle
:BLR Iryna Kurachkina vs :IND Pinki

62kg
:LAT Anastasija Grigorjeva vs :UKR Ilona Prokopevniuk