website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA World Cup 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 2 weeks later...

Still not sure how exactly SVK male team managed to qualify for this qualifiers, I guess this will remains as one of those unsolved misteries of life like the Bermuda triangle...but however after some millions years SVK male basketball team played its first official qualification main round match today

:SVK - :BEL  57-83  at home. in normal times it maybe would be a huge holiday for all our cca 237 basketball fans in the country but since it was the first lockdown day today, this huge moment of history was played behind closed doors  :lol:

1 hour ago, hckošice said:

Still not sure how exactly SVK male team managed to qualify for this qualifiers, I guess this will remains as one of those unsolved misteries of life like the Bermuda triangle...but however after some millions years SVK male basketball team played its first official qualification main round match today

:SVK - :BEL  57-83  at home. in normal times it maybe would be a huge holiday for all our cca 237 basketball fans in the country but since it was the first lockdown day today, this huge moment of history was played behind closed doors  :lol:

It Is interesting that basketball is not so popular in Slovakia. I think in Czech no popular neither, but we were in olympics :-) But yes i think 5 years ago, we were losing with Bosnia and Great Britain :-D But i think womens basketball is in good level, right?

I can compare popular of this sport in Czech and Turkey when i was there for 2 weeks. And basketball was in each TV channel.

6 hours ago, stepansevs said:

It Is interesting that basketball is not so popular in Slovakia. I think in Czech no popular neither, but we were in olympics :-) But yes i think 5 years ago, we were losing with Bosnia and Great Britain :-D But i think womens basketball is in good level, right?

I can compare popular of this sport in Czech and Turkey when i was there for 2 weeks. And basketball was in each TV channel.

Well, what can we do :d But if a NT is capable to lose by double digit even to Albania it can hardly expect to be taken seriously or promote its sport.

But, The truth is that basketball has never been particularly popular or extremely followed in our region, although there have been some attempts by some media after the fall of the Iron Curtain, they began in the early 90s (Dream Team and Jordan/Johnson era) broadcasting and advertising NBA broadcasts and stuff, but the initial interest quickly declined after 2-3 years. Now, I can not even remember last time I saw a minute or two of male basketball in our TV (except Tokyo 2020 final).

Women's basketball is by a couple of galaxies more successful than the mens one and basically the chicks themselves keeps the entire basketball federation alive, thanks to women they are still receiving very decent financial support from the state etc...which is absolutely insane when you take in mind which results the Mens are able to return and it stay like this decades and decades now lol, but even if W Basketball is more more more successful It is still certainly not real to claim that it is also super popular. Like Barely Hundred of people at most attend matches.

Well, lt is not surprising from Turkey. I obviously know the sport is extremely popular in the Balkan and basically the whole south Europe. ;)

6 hours ago, hckošice said:

Well, what can we do :d But if a NT is capable to lose by double digit even to Albania it can hardly expect to be taken seriously or promote its sport.

But, The truth is that basketball has never been particularly popular or extremely followed in our region, although there have been some attempts by some media after the fall of the Iron Curtain, they began in the early 90s (Dream Team and Jordan/Johnson era) broadcasting and advertising NBA broadcasts and stuff, but the initial interest quickly declined after 2-3 years. Now, I can not even remember last time I saw a minute or two of male basketball in our TV (except Tokyo 2020 final).

Women's basketball is by a couple of galaxies more successful than the mens one and basically the chicks themselves keeps the entire basketball federation alive, thanks to women they are still receiving very decent financial support from the state etc...which is absolutely insane when you take in mind which results the Mens are able to return and it stay like this decades and decades now lol, but even if W Basketball is more more more successful It is still certainly not real to claim that it is also super popular. Like Barely Hundred of people at most attend matches.

Well, lt is not surprising from Turkey. I obviously know the sport is extremely popular in the Balkan and basically the whole south Europe. ;)

well, actually you have a decent basketball coverage (even if it's not on your public TV channels)...;)

right now, a few NBA games/week and many Champions League matches are shown on Nova Sport channels, and the new JOJ Sport channel regularly covers both the Spanish Liga Endesa and the regional league where the main Slovak teams play...:evil:

that's not the absolute 0 that Italian Hockey fans have on our tv channel, for instance (just to compare 2 sports which are not really popular in our respective Countries)...:nopompom:

14 minutes ago, phelps said:

well, actually you have a decent basketball coverage (even if it's not on your public TV channels)...;)

right now, a few NBA games/week and many Champions League matches are shown on Nova Sport channels, and the new JOJ Sport channel regularly covers both the Spanish Liga Endesa and the regional league where the main Slovak teams play...:evil:

that's not the absolute 0 that Italian Hockey fans have on our tv channel, for instance (just to compare 2 sports which are not really popular in our respective Countries)...:nopompom:

Nova Sport is Czech.

JOJ Šport is a new channel, half of the country still does not have it yet (me neither, my TV cable company still has not included this TV channel to its service) but will have to do it soon, since they have the rights for Ice Hockey World Champs from 2024 :p

Btw when speaking about it. I know you like watching Hockey on our TVs, I have also a good news for you.

RTVS will start its sport TV channel the 20th December from 17:00. RTVS Šport. Was really about time, we are like the last European National public TV to do it...

Beijing 2022, Ice Hockey Worlds 2022 and Football WC in Qatar being their top attractions for the upcoming year but also Tour de France, Biathlon World Cup, European Football Cups, Slovak Hockey League etc.. The first action of the new channel will be the Ice Hockey World Juniors traditionally during the Christmas-New Years holidays. As Public TV it will be free also on satelite Astra 23,5°E

https://www.rtvs.sk/sport/naladte-sa-na-sport