website statistics

Nordic Combined FIS World Cup 2020 - 2021

hckošice

Stage 3

AUT.gif Ramsau (AUT) - 17 December 2020 - 20 December 2020 AUT.gif

Women's Individual Gundersen Normal Hill (1/1)
Non-Olympic Event
Final Results

USA.gif GERAGHTY-MOATS Tara
13:58.3J1:86.5|R1:116.0

NOR.gif WESTVOLD HANSEN Gyda
13:59.8J1:94.5|R1:125.8

JPN.gif NAKAMURA Anju
14:11.3J1:90.5|R1:118.5

Full Results HERE

55 minutes ago, NearPup said:

What this competition showed to me is that women’s Nordic Combined isn’t ready for the Olympics yet but absolutely will be by 2026 given all the young athletes that are coming up.

Very happy for :USA Geraghty-Moats. She is a real pioneer of this sport and I am glad she will go down as a world cup winner.

I remember with women’s ski jumping the first World Championships was absolutely farcical, so this is already better.

Ok, so Geraghty-Moats could barely make Top 30 in ski jumping and suddenly she's dominating nordic combined. Just how BAD are the Norwegian girls competing here if a ski jumper from USA can out-ski them? :mumble:

Obviously it's a low-hanging fruit for women yet. USA has Geraghty-Moats and three others that finished in last three places after ski jumping. Depth equals zero. It's gonna take a few seasons where Geraghty-Moats will keep the pace before full-blown speciallists take over. USA used to be a powerhouse in women's ski jumping like 10 years ago and they can barely score a point in 2020. The days of Lindsey Van, Jessica Jerome and Sarah Hendrickson are gone, the traditional ski jumping powerhouses like Austria, Norway and Germany have taken over (plus Japan and Slovenia).

I'm gonna predict Japan eventually dominates the women's nordic combined within the next 5-6 years to follow on some of the men's success of the 90s.

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

I remember with women’s ski jumping the first World Championships was absolutely farcical, so this is already better.

Liberec 2009... Half of the Czech women's ski jumping team (a 12 year old and a 14 year old, there were no age limits) crashed during training and didn't start.

8 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Ok, so Geraghty-Moats could barely make Top 30 in ski jumping and suddenly she's dominating nordic combined. Just how BAD are the Norwegian girls competing here if a ski jumper from USA can out-ski them? :mumble:

Obviously it's a low-hanging fruit for women yet. USA has Geraghty-Moats and three others that finished in last three places after ski jumping. Depth equals zero. It's gonna take a few seasons where Geraghty-Moats will keep the pace before full-blown speciallists take over. USA used to be a powerhouse in women's ski jumping like 10 years ago and they can barely score a point in 2020. The days of Lindsey Van, Jessica Jerome and Sarah Hendrickson are gone, the traditional ski jumping powerhouses like Austria, Norway and Germany have taken over (plus Japan and Slovenia).

I'm gonna predict Japan eventually dominates the women's nordic combined within the next 5-6 years to follow on some of the men's success of the 90s.

It’s a shallow talent pool, but honestly it looks better than when women’s ski jumping got it’s first world championships. The big Nordic Combined athletes have started taking the women’s events seriously at the junior level so we can expect the level to get much better very quickly.

Today wasn’t a great competition but it was very encouraging.

2 minutes ago, NearPup said:

It’s a shallow talent pool, but honestly it looks better than when women’s ski jumping got it’s first world championships. The big Nordic Combined athletes have started taking the women’s events seriously at the junior level so we can expect the level to get much better very quickly.

Today wasn’t a great competition but it was very encouraging.

Yeah, I presume Germany, Austria & Norway will eventually dominate another sport in women's nordic combined though. I hold out for Japan to maybe join them and form a big four. Everyone else will be reduced to also-runs. Geraghty-Moats should make the most of her time in the sun because I presume it will be short-lived.

Another ski jumping convert Svenja Wuerth had the second-slowest skiing time yesterday. Obviously it's looking bad for her but Germany will eventually get it right.

Stage 3

AUT.gif Ramsau (AUT) - 17 December 2020 - 20 December 2020 AUT.gif

Men's Individual Gundersen Normal Hill (1/9)
Final Results

GER.gif GEIGER Vinzenz
23:55.6J1:92.0|R1:126.6

NOR.gif RIIBER Jarl Magnus
23:56.1J1:94.5|R1:132.9

AUT.gif GREIDERER Lukas
23:56.9J1:93.0|R1:125.6

Full Results HERE

21 hours ago, Monzanator said:

I don’t think that Japan will dominate. In my opinion it will absolutely be dominated by Norway. They are the only nation that is good in women‘s ski jumping and cross-country. I think Germany, Slovenia and Russia could also be good.

I am not a fan of this Sport becoming Olympic. Women’s ski jumping is already a fringe sport, so it will be even worse for Nordic combined. Not sure if any of those athletes will be able to finance themselves, so the question is whether a country like Germany will see this as an opportunity to get some more easy medals by pouring some money in this sport.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Just now, OlympicsFan said:

I don’t think that Japan will dominate. In my opinion it will absolutely be dominated by Norway. They are the only nation that is good in women‘s ski jumping and cross-country. I think Germany, Slovenia and Russia could also be good.

I am not a fan of this Sport becoming Olympic. Women’s ski jumping is already a fringe sport, so it will be even worse for Nordic combined. Not sure if any of those athletes will be able to finance themselves, so the question is whether a country like Germany will see this as an opportunity to get some more easy medals by pouring some money in this sport.

Well, Japan keeps hanging on in the men's NC so I assume they will give it a try on the women's side too. They have zero cross country presence so that will be reliant on ski jumping but Japan is one country which seems to avoid demolishing its ski jumping hills. Sapporo and Hakuba is as good base as one can hope for.

Norway will find its way to dominate - like with everything that includes cross country.

Germany is another NC powerhouse that will attack the low-hanging fruit. Wuerth's skiing might not be good enough but Jenny Nowak barely turned 18yo and looks like a future dominator.

This sport should evolve like the women's ski jumping did in the last decade with the usual suspects showing the way: Norway, Germany, Austria, Japan and fringe contenders from Russia and Slovenia.