website statistics

Biathlon IBU World Cup 2020 - 2021

Totallympics

3 minutes ago, Werloc said:

I just always wonder what is the feeling of being from USA and watching stuff like Athletics or Swimming, where you probably win something like 10 gold medals.

How do you even remain excited with all of those victories, when a single bronze for Lithuania literally drives the whole country insane for a year. 

I'd guess cheering for athletes instead of the flags behind their name solves most of that :p 

At least that's how it works for me when watching speed skating :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, Werloc said:

I just always wonder what is the feeling of being from USA and watching stuff like Athletics or Swimming, where you probably win something like 10 gold medals.

How do you even remain excited with all of those victories, when a single bronze for Lithuania literally drives the whole country insane for a year. 

It would be like Norway in Cross Country skiing or biathlon.  When Lowell Bailey who his gold, or Susan Dunklee won her two silvers I was so happy.  If the JTB does not win a race in a weekend, everyone is surprised.  With the US in track and swimming, a win becomes expected.  I love the distance running more, there if a US runner wins, I am very excited.

Just now, heywoodu said:

I'd guess cheering for athletes instead of the flags behind their name solves most of that :p 

At least that's how it works for me when watching speed skating :d 

Imagine having the priviledge of cheering for athletes.

We have to cheer for everyone who's starting. 

Even the doped up athletes get quickly forgotten if they start performing well again.

5 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Imagine having the priviledge of cheering for athletes.

I mean, without them having to be of one's own nation. Imagine the Netherlands has a world class biathlete (one) and he or she is just an arrogant asshole or something, why would I cheer for him/her instead of someone I like way more but who is from another nation? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, RobtheAggie said:

I also have reached an age where I can appreciate a great performance, even if I do not like the athlete.  That helps.  Now that I think about it, very few Americans cared that Lowell Bailey won the gold.  :(

I can attest to that. The only thing besides a victory in basketball that Lithuanians cared about was Meilutytė's Olympic gold.

After that we started building swimming pools in every city, our national broadcaster actually started showing Swimming championships, the funding bumped them up into immediate second place that year after basketball of course. 

Danas Rapšys is becoming popular, but definitely not at the height that Meilutytė was.

Laura Asadauskaitė is probably one of the best if not the best modern pentathlete among women, but not many Lithuanians ever cared about any of her victories and literally took out their pitchforks and started hating her when she asked if she could use her OWN MONEY to upgrade from the car that she got for Olympic gold to a larger car in which she could seat her children. 

Just now, heywoodu said:

I mean, without them having to be of one's own nation. Imagine the Netherlands has a world class biathlete (one) and he or she is just an arrogant asshole or something, why would I cheer for him/her instead of someone I like way more but who is from another nation? :p 

don't break my heart, I just want Makarainen back :( 

5 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

I also have reached an age where I can appreciate a great performance, even if I do not like the athlete.  That helps.  Now that I think about it, very few Americans cared that Lowell Bailey won the gold.  :(

Maybe how much I cared makes up for that a little :d 

That was absolutely legendary. The raw emotion in the voice of the German commentator when it was decided is still firmly in my mind and I was cheering so badly for him to win :cheer: 

Just now, Werloc said:

don't break my heart, I just want Makarainen back :( 

Yeah, see? I truly don't give a shit what nation you're from, if you're like Kaisa I'll absolutely be cheering for you!

30 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Someone like Grigor Dimitrov. Know the feeling ;)