website statistics

Track Cycling UEC European Championships 2020

Totallympics

The Dutch commentator doesn't seem to see anything odd about the men's team sprint format in the first round...is it really just me? How is it fair that 3rd and 4th place mean you are mathematically out of the race for gold, while 5th and 6th place mean you actually can still get gold? :dunno: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo said:

i cant'see 250 meters long tracks... there are like a circle. Much better 333 meters traks.

I think all tracks built in the last 20 years are circa 250m - it’s mostly old outdoor tracks that are bigger.  Moscow is the only big track that gets regular international comps.

Bit of a shame to see the medallists having to pick their medals & teddies off the podium!

11 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

I think all tracks built in the last 20 years are circa 250m - it’s mostly old outdoor tracks that are bigger.  Moscow is the only big track that gets regular international comps.

Bit of a shame to see the medallists having to pick their medals & teddies off the podium!

I know, but i think that small tracks have brought confusion, distortion of races. Now it's hard for attendences to follow madison and pint races, anch big man are favourites too much in short races like speed or keirin. I don't like this.

13 hours ago, heywoodu said:

The Dutch commentator doesn't seem to see anything odd about the men's team sprint format in the first round...is it really just me? How is it fair that 3rd and 4th place mean you are mathematically out of the race for gold, while 5th and 6th place mean you actually can still get gold? :dunno: 

The problem is that this week is exceptional because there are so few competitors.  Theoretically the 6th-qualified team racing the 1st-qualified team might be able to beat them....but realistically it’s not going to happen even in a hundred attempts.  So essentially what you are seeing is not a semi-final but two ranking races Time trials in which 1st & 2nd qualifiers race against each other to determine starting position.  

Otherwise the races in round 2 & round 3 would be the same match-ups 99% of the time.

53 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

The problem is that this week is exceptional because there are so few competitors.  Theoretically the 6th-qualified team racing the 1st-qualified team might be able to beat them....but realistically it’s not going to happen even in a hundred attempts.  So essentially what you are seeing is not a semi-final but two ranking races Time trials in which 1st & 2nd qualifiers race against each other to determine starting position.  

Otherwise the races in round 2 & round 3 would be the same match-ups 99% of the time.

But what's more important, avoiding the same match-ups or having a fair competition? I really don't get how it's fair for a 3rd and 4th place team to have no gold medal chance anymore, whereas lower ranked teams still have a chance (even if it's only a theoretical one). I mean, if you'd know beforehand that reaching the top-2 is going to be nearly impossible, one would slow down on purpose to assure a 5th or 6th place instead of 3rd or 4th..

There only being six teams shouldn't matter, in that case just let the top-4 teams in qualifying battle it out for the medals, since they deserved to be in those spots based on qualifying.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

But what's more important, avoiding the same match-ups or having a fair competition? I really don't get how it's fair for a 3rd and 4th place team to have no gold medal chance anymore, whereas lower ranked teams still have a chance (even if it's only a theoretical one). I mean, if you'd know beforehand that reaching the top-2 is going to be nearly impossible, one would slow down on purpose to assure a 5th or 6th place instead of 3rd or 4th..

There only being six teams shouldn't matter, in that case just let the top-4 teams in qualifying battle it out for the medals, since they deserved to be in those spots based on qualifying.

I can't see how 1st v 6th is fairer than 1st vs 4th.

The sixth place team could be 10 seconds slower than the fastest qualifier and only need a mistimed changeover to get to the final.

Where as qualifier #3 could be 0.01 slower in the qualifying round, set a world record in the 3rd v 4th ride and still only have a chance at bronze.