website statistics

Wrestling Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

MantaRaymarc

Brackets are up for the 1st day in Kazakhstan and as usual we have some unbalanced brackets because of this blind draw :wall:

We have only one wrestler tomorrow, Sourian got the worst possible draw ! all of his main opponents are in his half while we have only China, India, Iraq and Thailand in the top half ! for whatever reasons his archrivals Tasmuradov (UZB) and Hasegawa (JPN) are not here ! if Sourian beats Ota in 1st round he has to beat Kim of Korea in semifinal. which won't be easy at all.

wow, Sourian lost to Japan ! now I see why Japan didn't send Hasegawa instead of this guy, he was good but Sourian was just poor today. even though he usually had problems with Japanese wrestlers.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think he goes to the next two tournaments. I have a feeling he will retire :( I think they will try Abdevali junior in next tournament.

Seriously if I wanted to pick the worst possible draw I could not pick anything worse than this for 1st two days ! after Sourian, now Bashir BBJZ has to start with his most serious opponent Tinaliyev from KAZ :( in super heavyweight it's really hard to score in close matches and when it comes to the cautions, those refs will give the match to Kazakhstan, so his chance is slim. in fact we have all 4 Asian Games medalists in top half of the draw ! how is that possible ?! :facepalm: I hope for better draw in last day of competition.

btw Bahrain will qualify probably tomorrow, they have former European Champion Adam Batirov in 65kg.

Edited by MHSN

Yeerlanbieke Katai of China made the biggest surprise of the day by beating Adam Batirov and winning the quota and I have to say this Chinese guy is really good, i give him chance to win medal in Rio. (China never won a men's freestyle medal) He is already my favorite non-Iranian wrestler ;)

btw Batirov is good but he cuts a lot of weight it won't be easy for him in Mongolia and Turkey.

as for Iran we had our second defeats today :( this one was expected though, we got better draw for tomorrow, I really hope they win both quotas otherwise it will be catastrophic (even though it's already VERY bad to lose two quotas out of just 4 here) and we can't complain about the draw this time.

also, Kyrgyzstan just bought another Russian wrestler ! Aligadzhi Gamidgadzhiev :facepalm: I wonder how many Russian wrestlers we had here, Batirov, Musaev, Mamed Ibragimov, Magomed Ibragimov, the Qatari guy Ibrahim, Manyurova and there are probably few more I'm not aware of.