website statistics

Alpine Skiing FIS World Cup 2020 - 2021

Totallympics

56 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Good for Goggia who won't risk to injure herself more than she already has, but very unfair to Gut, having less speed races is the only reason for which she will lose a deserved overall globe.

Vlhova is a potential top 10 athlete in all four disciplines, even her weaker ones. Gut isn't. The difference in women's number of races isn't that big anyway.

The difference is much bigger in men's competition with 21 technical races to 13 speed races. Pinturault is the lucky one, if he should win the big globe, not Vlhova.

2 hours ago, hckošice said:

Womens Downhill World Cup 2020/21  Final Standing

1. Sofia Goggia  :ITA  480

2. Corinne Suter :SUI  410

3. Lara Gut-Behrami :SUI  383

Full Detailed Final W Downhill Standing HERE

-------------------------------------------------------------

Mens Downhill World Cup 2020/21  Final Standing

1. Beat Feuz  :SUI  486

2. Matthias Mayer :AUT  418

3. Dominik Paris :ITA  338

Full Detailed Final M Downhill Standing HERE

vq9glBd2TimzIDK3lYJ0ag~Sofia-Goggiov-a-B

59 minutes ago, EselTheDonkey said:

Vlhova is a potential top 10 athlete in all four disciplines, even her weaker ones. Gut isn't. The difference in women's number of races isn't that big anyway.

The difference is much bigger in men's competition with 21 technical races to 13 speed races. Pinturault is the lucky one, if he should win the big globe, not Vlhova.

Don't agree. Results count, not potential of being a top 10 - out of 4 disciplines Gut has been one of the best in 2, Vlhova in 1, with almost the same points in GS. Add two downhill and a SG and Vlhova wouldn't stand a chance. 

As for the men, I guess it's true that Pinturault was luckier

Well, what an anticlimax of a season full of them :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, Dunadan said:

Good for Goggia who won't risk to injure herself more than she already has, but very unfair to Gut, having less speed races is the only reason for which she will lose a deserved overall globe.

Everyone has the right to his opinion, I respect that. But on the other hand, I disagree with the claim that Lara (which I really like as athlete btw) deserves more the big globe than Petra.

If Lara wanted to win thr big globe, why didn't she start in any slalom ? Petra was the only one to compete in all competitions, every fricking race the whole season ! for this goal and hopefully arriving success she had to sacrify her strongest disciplines (was mainly visible with her struggling in GS) and had to train much much more and mainly in speed disciplines. She entered races without any support team and practically no information about the pistes and slopes in the downhill runs in places she stood for the first time in her life and never was before there at all, yet she managed to get an incredible number of points many times against opponents much more experienced and I suppose better than she is in the mentioned evets.

So for me only based on this point of view, Petra deserves the big globethis season the most of all. She sacrificed for it the most.

You may disagree, but I personally think If she focused only on her disciplines SL & GS, it is very likely that both small globes would probably have already been decided right now. Next season she will focus back only on SL&GS+AC with the Beijing Gold goal, concentrate fully only on them and race only in a couple of WC races before the Olympics, how it will finish we will see in Beijing.

2 hours ago, hckošice said:

If Lara wanted to win thr big globe, why didn't she start in any slalom ?

That's like saying: "If that high jumper wanted to win, why did she skip earlier heights?".

Because there are different approaches to it. Wasting energy and focus on slaloms would not make sense for someone like Gut. It's as simple as that.

#banbestmen

32 minutes ago, dcro said:

That's like saying: "If that high jumper wanted to win, why did she skip earlier heights?".

Because there are different approaches to it. Wasting energy and focus on slaloms would not make sense for someone like Gut. It's as simple as that.

Well, no.

Very weird comparison to be fair, missing a earlier weight in 1 single hugh jump competition is sorry, but definitely not the same like not participating in +/- 10 races counting for a World Cup overall standing.

Also I think you missed the point what I was trying to present.

However, as I said, everyone has the right to have his own oppinion and cheer to whoever he want, so let it be.

I know if Petra will win this, suddenly plenty of hates left and right will suddenly appear around that it was undeserved, pointless competition, won only because of weather, only because of luck and blah, blah, blah...

45 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Well, no.

Very weird comparison to be fair, missing a earlier weight in 1 single hugh jump competition is sorry, but definitely not the same like not participating in +/- 10 races counting for a World Cup overall standing.

Also I think you missed the point what I was trying to present.

However, as I said, everyone has the right to have his own oppinion and cheer to whoever he want, so let it be.

I know if Petra will win this, suddenly plenty of hates left and right will suddenly appear around that it was undeserved, pointless competition, won only because of weather, only because of luck and blah, blah, blah...

It is a very similar point...

While risky, missing a height in high jump saves you both energy and focus for later attempts. By the same token, skipping the slalom tour most definitely helped Gut to hold the apex in her main events.

It's basically the same thing you've been saying about Vlhova all season - racing speed events affected her usual SL/GS form.

But in the end, none of it matters... It is all about who collects most points, and it is up to FIS to make the distribution of events as fair as possible, and sadly (but not surprisingly) that was not the case here...

#banbestmen