website statistics

Alpine Skiing FIS World Cup 2020 - 2021

Totallympics

• 2 weeks later...

Gut-Behrami is the new Globe leader as expected.

Petra passed the 1000 points this season, for the 3rd time in her career. Good race from her today, may be another huge downhill top 10

right now 29 points behind Lara in the overall.

10 races remaining.  2xDH, 2xSG, 2xGS & 4xSL

given that she's gonna win easily the last DH at home, Lara is tomorrow's win away from stealing the most improbable DH World Cup title...

chances for Suter and even more Johnson to make up 150 points in 2 races imho are slimmer than Gut's 197...

in any case, I still hope Goggia can win the most deserved crystal globe of them all...5 races, 4 wins and a 2nd place for her before she got injured in that crazy Garmisch afternoon...

1 hour ago, phelps said:

given that she's gonna win easily the last DH at home, Lara is tomorrow's win away from stealing the most improbable DH World Cup title...

chances for Suter and even more Johnson to make up 150 points in 2 races imho are slimmer than Gut's 197...

in any case, I still hope Goggia can win the most deserved crystal globe of them all...5 races, 4 wins and a 2nd place for her before she got injured in that crazy Garmisch afternoon...

Mikaela Shiffrin won 5/5 slaloms in 2016 and didn't win the slalom globe either (due to injury) ;)

49 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Mikaela Shiffrin won 5/5 slaloms in 2016 and didn't win the slalom globe either (due to injury) ;)

I know...and that was unfair to her, too...

by the way, we only need Gut not winning and the Suter/Johnson duo outside the top 3 tomorrow to start the party...

with a bit of help from Weidle and the Austrians or even Gisin we might even get it...:fingers:

5 hours ago, hckošice said:

and our medias started with the "Petra just lost the crystal globe lead...bla,bla,bla"

Petra answered with her typical calm : "It does not matter at all in which rank I am now, it will matter only at the end" ;)

Just wait till she finds out that if she doesn’t win she has to pay the year’s fuel bill for the private jet.  :rofl:

I feel like every ES commentator (even Polish ones) have said that it feels like Vlhova looks tired out there. It's obviously down to her chasing every single event this season. Shiffrin had a similar problem when she started doing speed races, when she only did tech she won slaloms by like 2 seconds and the gaps shrinked once she started doing speed events. But Shiffrin has actually skipped some speed rounds - and basically the more technical ones more often - and managed her own strenght a little better. Vlhova still has a chance to win the overall - even if Gut sweeps this weekend. But she'd need Gut to look crap in GS again - I have no idea how much confidence Gut has right now but she's clearly running hot while Vlhova seems to be stumbling towards the finish line after peaking in December and early January.

Tired but not physically. Petra is physically perfectly prepared for this season,

I think it's mainly about the head.

I personally don't believe that anyone (especially from a "major sport" country) can even imagine the pressure she is facing.

That pressure is unbearable for one person. Today, being clearly THE sporting figure of the whole country is a double-edged sword, Slovakia has no one else in sports today (yeah there Sagan, but the guy and his mind is a chapter alone),

the whole country is turning its eyes to Petra. sport fans of the whole country follow basically almost every her step. The fact that she managed to basically push out even our hockey primadonnas to the second and third pages of our sports magazines is already an impressive success and achievement of enormous proportions in itself. Her popularity in Slovakia start to border with madness.

And she has to face it all alone by herself.

Unlike the Swiss team (and basically all other not only powerhouses teams), where there are a like million of competitors in rhe team, a million members of the service team, a million coaches for each discipline separately and full of skiers - friends - with whom Lara can talk and relieve whenever she wants ! Petra is completely alone, she only has her mini team led by a maniac like Magoni, but without a real person whom she can speak about normal things (thats why she has at least her brother in the team being as the last person with her at the starts) in addition, this mini team has to share on daily basis also works that Lara probably doesn't even know exists, equip accommodation, equip tests, solve skis, solve trainings, solve a travel plan, etc ...

and then go, finish 9th in a freaking world cup downhill you race for the first time on that slope in your life and still suddenly everyone will write it was bad, you lost and bla bla bla